Not that there's much to writer about, mind you. It's been a gentle old week here. I've houseworked, knotted, washed, dries and ironed, done a .
bit of all sorts really
bit of all sorts really
In this hot weather I'm watering twice a day and that seems to be keeping the tomatoes going although some plants are showing signs of wear and tear. Of course, it's that time of year anyway, isn't it?
I've spotted the first (that I can see) cyclamen flower. It's very pretty and has grown from a corm Mum gave me, ages ago. It's a slightly darker pink that it appears in this photo.It's always a sign that autumn is approaching. First come the flowers and, a bit later, the leaves, eventually covering the whole bed with pretty shapes during the dull months. Come the spring, I pull them all up and up they come again in around six months' time.
It's also a reminder that I need to start clearing the bed, starting with the foxgloves that flowered this year but leaving the new plants to flower next year. I will move some of them too, to a better place in the bed. (no idea what's happened to the formatting here!
Earlier in the year I dug up some baby foxgloves and popped them into a planter and they seem very happy. We will see if I get a lovely and moveable display next spring/summer!
While on the subject of garden, the tomatoes continue to be happy with just two minor issues.
One is the ever present blossom end rot, supposedly because of lack of calcium in the soil, but only one of the types is showing it, the accidental 'Big Red' a huge plum type and I didn't mean to buy.
And the only type that is splitting is the Alicante. That's supposed to be due to intermittent watering but I don't think that's the case as none of the others are showing signs. Maybe it is type vulnerability? Who know? It's not a bit problem, thankfully!
One is the ever present blossom end rot, supposedly because of lack of calcium in the soil, but only one of the types is showing it, the accidental 'Big Red' a huge plum type and I didn't mean to buy.
And the only type that is splitting is the Alicante. That's supposed to be due to intermittent watering but I don't think that's the case as none of the others are showing signs. Maybe it is type vulnerability? Who know? It's not a bit problem, thankfully!
Today, Chris is round and also Tracy, my next door neighbour, for coffee and a good old natter. After that I'm popping round to Morrisons as I am running out of fruit which would never do. There's always bits of housework, of course!
It's going to be very hot (for the UK) over much of England today so do take care, get some water into the fridge early, dig out the sun safety stuff and stay well. See you tomorrow. xx
It's going to be very hot (for the UK) over much of England today so do take care, get some water into the fridge early, dig out the sun safety stuff and stay well. See you tomorrow. xx
Edit: I looked up the splitting tomato thing and it said sudden changes in moisture, temperature fluctuations and/or soil conditions.
The RHS says:
Odd that it is only the Alicantes though.
Although easy to grow, tomato fruits can suffer from splitting and cracking in late summer. This is difficult to prevent, as it is caused by fluctuating temperatures and water supply - which are often out of the control of the gardener.

No comments:
Post a Comment