So, here we are at the beginning of the holiday month as I always think of it. I have vague and happy feelings of little children playing in the garden - swing, sandpit, tricycles, scooters, going for bike rides with Mum, going for walks with Pam, getting up early to bring the milk in before it went off in the sun and that overwhelming sense of freedom. I was very lucky in my childhood; I'm sure there were less great times but I don't remember them.
Yesterday started nice and cool but by the afternoon it was hot again and I stayed in, appreciating the fans. In the morning, I had done Slimming World and then went over to Morrisons to do the weekly shop although I do hope I won't need to do anything quite as big for a fortnight, just fresh stuff. I'm away next weekend and that will help too! I was able to take the money out of July's budget so today starts with a clean sheet and that's something else that feels good. July was a very costly month, what with all the extra expenses plus paying for holidays and so on - August looks much plainer sailing (touch wood) one way and another.
I knew we couldn't escape the hosepipe ban much longer and, yes, Essex and Suffolk Water has announced one starting Monday. Ho hum but fair enough. I will make the most of this weekend and give the beds, especially the tomato bed, super long soakings and I'm thankful that I have no tomatoes in pots this year as they are a bit of a pain to keep damp and there's so much more evaporation.
And, talking of tomatoes, I have loads including some larger ones and will be making some chutney today. I have a few big jars and don't want to make loads but, unlike jam, I do eat chutney regularly so it won't be wasted. And there's always Christmas gifts to consider.
I'm glad that I have that because this weekend, for the first time in forever, I have no one to bake bread for. Lindsey has plenty and so does Beth. I feel bereft (well, a bit sad anyway) as I love making bread.
I'm glad that I have that because this weekend, for the first time in forever, I have no one to bake bread for. Lindsey has plenty and so does Beth. I feel bereft (well, a bit sad anyway) as I love making bread.
The other thing I want to do today is deal with the hanging baskets which are really past their best now and looking straggly. and not terribly attractive. They've been great though and, obviously, I will be keeping the pots and dumping the contents in the compost bin.
There's always dead heading too plus weed scraping although they are wilting in the heat and not nearly as aggressive as usual.
There's always dead heading too plus weed scraping although they are wilting in the heat and not nearly as aggressive as usual.
Have a lovely day, everyone. Stay happy and be safe. xx
No comments:
Post a Comment