Saturday, 29 August 2026

Saturday, 29-08-26

Good morning, everyone.  Welcome!  Thank you very much for your patience while I've not posted and for your very kind messages.

You might feel this post is rather TMI - feel free to close it and come back tomorrow when, fingers crossed, things will be more normal.

So - things seem to be looking up again after twelve days, pretty much!  The silver lining is that I've lost six pounds in that time.  Now an ideal way to lose weight, is it, but I'll call it a sort of positive!  

For the last few days I have been full on the BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, Toast, all plain, nothing added.  Extremely boring, especially for someone who loved colour and variety but I didn't fancy much else anyway!  I bought some bananas and a few cans of plain apple slices, I had white rice and I made a wee loaf of white bread, thanking my lucky stars I can bake bread almost with my eyes closed.  :-).
Because of the way I normally eat, everything else I had in the cupboard was wholegrain, whole wheat, legumes, etc, etc.  Lovely most of the time but . . .

Annabeth (thank you, Annabeth) sent me a p m wondering if I had picked up salmonella on my travels.  I never thought of that but it might be so.  I looked it up and it can and take up to a week to show last for a fortnight or so - so perhaps.  I also learned that taking Imodium, once the cramps subside, isn't helpful as it prevents the bug from passing through more quickly.  Ooops.

I have no idea what might possibly have been the trigger but how can you tell?

Getting an appt with my GP is a nightmare.  Easier if you can do phones but not hard of hearing friendly and I didn't feel up to driving to the surgery to speak to a receptionist.  But then I remembered that right by the community centre, school and Morrisons is a walk in private health centre (used to be a GP surgery) and I decided I would use that and swallow the bill, so to speak.

I nearly walked in after Slimming World but then realised they would want a 'sample' to test so I sterilised a suitable jar, took it to the loo and waited, and waited and waited . . .
Yup, since then I've not had any kind of bowel movement whatsoever.   Isn't that just the way!

So, today I am sticking to BRAT and tomorrow I will start adding a few gentle extras - porridge in the morning, yogurt with my stewed apple and, being very brave (!), rice with chicken and a few vegetables and scrambled egg on toast.

And the jar remains on standby in the loo!!  Just in case!

There's three days with an empty diary now.  Plenty of time to get things back in order again, assuming I'm on the mend.  I gave the kitchen a good wipe down with anti bac stuff and will tackle the loo later (I have been cleaning it all through, promise).  There's washing and ironing and general housework but I have plenty of time so being sensible is the name of the game now.
Oh, I so hope things are on the up again now . . .

Thanks, everyone.  See you tomorrow!  xx

10 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you seem to have turned a corner and things are settling down. Long may it continue! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annabeth and thanks again for your other message which was much appreciated. I got plenty more advice from reading about what you suggested. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you are feeling better Joy. I also wondered if you had salmonella as I know there was an outbreak due to eggs. Fingers crossed you are now on the mend. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that. Who knows, eh? I must google that.
      Thanks very much, things are definitely on the up again now. xx

      Delete
  3. Yes, I wondered about the Salmonella too, so glad to hear that you are doing better.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's all passed through now, I feel so much better now. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I hadn't realised just how poorly you were. I'm so glad you're finally beginning to feel better. Take care, Joy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. To be fair, I did pick up a bit in the middle but the bug fought back! :-) Things are definitely on the way up again now so that's great. Hoping for another unbroken night tonight like last night. That would be great. :-) xx

      Delete
  5. Oh no Joy, that sounds horrific x my saviour is a bottle of Pink Pepto bismol - you may have seen the ads! It quells nausea like nothing else can and when nothing is staying in or down, I always find Alka seltzer XS - sipped, really does help. I know you are over it now but just in case you get a flare up.
    When I saw your posts about the BRAT diet , it brought all my gallbladder memories back! Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember you telling me about your gallbladder shocker. BRAT does seem to help a lot and I will remember it in case needed. Thanks for the recommendations.
      Hoping you and yours are well. xx

      Delete