Wednesday 17 April 2024

Wednesday evening, 17-04-23

Hello again, everyone.  I'm more than half way through my short holiday now and starting to think about when to pack tomorrow.  Sad thought so let's move on swiftly . . .

I was thinking about when we first came to Center Parcs all those years ago.  It was 1987 because that's when Sherwood first opened.  In the spring of that year, I had been given a block of supply at the school and, as I had a good maintenance from ex, I decided to plough some the earnings into a holiday.  
As you did then, pre internet, I went into town to Thomas Cook (I think) with the kids and said something like 'We want to book a holiday that has things for the children to do and a nice pool but a step up from Butlins.' and the girl said 'Well, there's this place that has just opened in Sherwood Forest . . . '.
The rest is family history.

We had an amazing week, taking the children out of school which you could in those days - first and last time ever and I felt SO guilty - and, as we left at the end, both Beth and Dave burst into tears because they didn't want to leave  and as soon as I got home I was on the phone to book another one.
Then Elveden opened, which was much closer.

We stopped going after a while because we discovered Streele Farm which was much safer for an autistic lad like Alex but restarted again when Streele Farm just got too expensive (sad but that is life).

It was a lovely, sunny start to the day and this is a good time of the year for a view because it won't be long before the trees leaf up fully and then the lake will be hidden.


I am so relishing these leisurely times.  No washing to start off so it dries on the line, no carpets to sweep or furniture to dust.  Just breakfast, a bit of a tidy up and off to have a swim.  Bliss . . .

So, today started gently again and just before ten I walked down to the Subtropical Swimming Paradise (that's what it's called) and had a lovely long time in the pool, almost two hours.  It wasn't all energetic stuff, of course, but even gentle stuff is more energetic than it feels because it is resistance movement.

After lunch and various very naughty snacky stuff, I decided to skip the gym as I was feeling really weary.  I started reading and fell asleep!  Must have needed it!

I did go for a late afternoon walk though so I could work up an appetite for dinner.  As I left the hotel, it started to rain.  Great!!  Fortunately, it was short lived; the sun came out again and it was all lovely.
Obviously, I took some photos as I walked around.





And I detoured to look at the tree houses.

We have this crazy idea of celebrating my 75th birthday with a family get together.
The idea is to really splash out and book one of the tree houses for a Monday to Friday break.

Beth and Alex are on board but I haven't checked with Dave and Anna yet.  I hope they like the idea.
So I am saving.

If it doesn't come off, we can do something else but it would be special and make memories.

All in all, it was a really lovely walk around.

Tomorrow starts a bit differently.  I'm going to try to access Lindsey's Thursday online SET class; the internet connection isn't great so it might freeze after a while but it is worth a try.  Then I can go and cool off in the pool.

At some point, I will pack as much as I can so there's not a mad rush last thing, something I dislike.  

Anyway, it has been another really lovely day.  Apart from a couple of showers, the weather has been great - not that warm but that's not an issue for me.
I'm going to sleep well tonight, I am sure.  Hope you all do too.  Sweet dreams . . .  xx

22 comments:

  1. Enjoy the time you have left there. I hope the birthday celebration works out. I think it would be amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would. Staying somewhere a bit special would be great. xx

      Delete
  2. That sounds wonderful! It's so nice to get break from cooking, cleaning, and shopping. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Just a bit of a change. xx

      Delete
  3. What lovely views. Sounds like you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. It's a lovely environment. Given how many guests there are, it feels surprisingly empty. xx

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you've had such a great time. A birthday celebration there would be fabulous! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. We think so. The place holds very fond memories for us all. xx

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you have recharged your batteries. It's so nice to do something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and I have had a really good time. xx

      Delete
  6. I hope the birthday break works out as you hope, it'll be marvellous if it does. I've enjoyed being 'virtually' away with you at CP, brings back some lovely memories of our times there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good place for a holiday, if you like that kind of break. I have so enjoyed it all. I'm glad you've enjoyed my accounts. xx

      Delete
  7. Holidays go by far too quickly don't they, no sooner are you unpacking and having a good time than it's time to start packing things up and thinking of the journey home. It sounds like you are fitting lots into your days though. Enjoy the remaining time away, and don't even think about housework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do, especially the Monday to Friday shorter breaks. It's been really good.

      Housework? What's that? ;-)
      xx

      Delete
  8. A change of routines is always good isn't it? The Tree House idea sounds wonderful for your 75th x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. It would be great but we will see. xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your holiday-it sounds so relaxing. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been both relaxing and energising. I'm sure I will feel tired when I get home but then one always does after a holiday. Come Monday I will be jumping around like a mad thing again, I am sure. :-) xx

      Delete
  10. My 70th was spent in Florida with family here (I lived in WV at the time) and in WV with Indy family. Then a few months later my daughter and grand girls spent a week in NYC. One grand works there now for a publisher so everyone visits often. I will go soon. I love love NYC and LONDON…enjoy your trip. I am getting close to 80. Of course I live in Florida now. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds a lovely way to celebrate, Brenda. Have a good time in NYC, when you go. xx

      Delete
  11. The Tree House sounds great fun. What a lovely way to celebrate your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be. When we (me, Beth and Alex) go back in October, we will ask how far in advance we can book. They may be super expensive but there are only four of them and they do get booked quickly, I gather. xx

      Delete