Sunday 14 April 2024

Sunday evening, 14-04-24

Evening, everyone.

A comment from Jules yesterday sounded just like the start of a poem so I offer it to you all to fill in the next two lines for me in the comments below.

        How nice to be a ladybird
        Basking in the sun.

How would you finish it?  Go on, have a go!

I was looking at my herbs today.  I use them all so, while it isn't a big collection, it is a very useful one.

Oregano - when I put it in,I didn't realise how invasive oregano is and yesterday I chopped it back severely.


Chives (in the foreground - the background right is an ornamental grass) which I have had for a couple of decades-ish now.  So useful for this and that and the flowers are so pretty too.
The sage was so tatty, died back over the winter and I almost dug it out but back it comes, growing happily again.  Yay!
Thyme.  Getting a bit scruffy and overgrown so needs a bit of a haircut.
Mint.  From left to right mint sauce mint, chocolate mint, apple mint.
My faithful bay.  Three winters ago, when we had two really cold snaps, I really thought it had died.  All the leaves turned brown and fell off.  I started cutting it back and noticed that the stems still looked green and living near the base so I cut them back and waited.  Sure enough, up came new growth and now, just look at it!

And, finally, the rosemary.  Strictly speaking, it is three rosemarys.  My old bush got very woody and shapeless so I took cuttings, had the old one out and planted three of the best cuttings .,
I think I need to have at least one of the three out, they're all doing very well and I don't need that much rosemary.


Well, I'm pretty much all ready.  I worked through my list without too much trouble and there's just the last minute things to do tomorrow, things like watering the plants, a little bit of last minute shopping, bins and so on.  It's all written down so I should be able to relax tonight.

I've worked out the route.  It's the first time I've done that way but when Beth, Alex and I came back from Elveden last October, I took a wrong turning and went through the centre of Bury (which is really very straightforward) so I'm going that way again as it is the simplest by far, once I've driven through Braintree - I could go round but through is quicker.

I've had a text from C P to say I can arrive any time from ten onward so I will just take my time and leave when I'm ready rather than hanging around so I don't get there too early.

Well, I will love you and leave you - good night, everyone, I hope today has been really good and tomorrow will also be a great day.  xx

25 comments:

  1. How nice to be a ladybird
    Basking in the the sun
    I'll chase those flipping greenfly
    And watch the b*ggers run

    Crikey, move over Wordsworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to be a ladybird
    Basking in the sun.
    My shell so lustrous, gleaming bright
    Brings praise from everyone.
    Hmmm, not my best attempt...


    I loved hearing about your herbs. My Sage and Thyme look very leggy - I'm always a bit nervous cutting them back! My Oregano pot was FULL of grass so I cleared that yesterday and hope it will grow back in abundance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also brilliant.
      Maybe herbs are meant to cut back. After all, that is what we do every time we use some, don't we? xx

      Delete
    2. Classier than my attempt ☺

      Delete
  3. All our herbs need sorting out this year and I'm thinking about having them closer to the back door in the new garden plan. It is so good to be able to pick fresh herbs from the garden.
    How nice to be a ladybird
    Basking in the sun
    I think I'll stay a little while
    And dream of greenfly lunch - well I tried but Cherie's version is much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Mine are close to the back door and it's so useful.

      And yours is brilliant too! xx

      Delete
  4. I do wish that my herbs would be perennial, but our winters are much too cold. Enjoy your holiday.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that . . . rosemary seems pretty tough but then, to be fair, isn't its origin Mediterranean? Our sort of cold has only never damaged the bay - the rest may be cut back but they seem to survive.
      What a shame.
      And thanks - I'm sure I will. xx

      Delete
  5. Actually, the bay has survived too. It just gave me more concern! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so encouraging to see the herbs coming back to life. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice, isn't it - a sigh that, while it may not look so, Spring is definitely landing.
      Mind you, it's blowing a hoolie and chucking it down right now. Nice day for travelling! xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Annabeth. Just the journey to survive and then four days of leisure. No housework - yay! xx

      Delete
  8. I hope you have a great time. I just hack off any of my herbs at almost soil level if they are looking very sorry for themselves and take cuttings of the Rosemary. Everything usually comes back, but if they don't I just buy a small plant from either the supermarket or the garden centre and start again, they are usually pretty cheap aren't they.

    How nice to be a ladybird
    Basking in the sun.
    I used to just eat greenflies
    But now I like a bun.

    How nice to be a ladybird
    Basking in the sun.
    I've eaten all the little pests,
    and now my job is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, two for the price of one. Love them!! It is true that herbs don't cost much but they do take a while to establish before you can use them. I tend to buy parsley like that though - it's an annual so in a wee pot on the window ledge is fine. xx

      Delete
  9. How nice to be a ladybird
    Basking in the sun
    But if I bask too long a time
    I’ll bet a burny bum.
    Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should say get!

      Delete
    2. Hee hee - must read more carefully - I thought it said bunny bum and thought what??????????
      xx

      Delete
  10. Lovely herb garden. They look like they are growing well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased. I do have some herb fertiliser stuff - must dig it out from the depths of the garage. xx

      Delete
  11. Mint and chives are the only two that are winter hardy here although I noticed some parsley has come back this year. All the others are treated as annuals here. I also like to buy a Basil plant as I use that quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't get rid of mint once it has established - hence having mine in pots. It is so invasive.
      I'm not fond of basil but Beth loves it and often has a little pot of it on her window sill. xx

      Delete
  12. Your herbs look great. Sadly, my rosemary didn't last the winter, so I need to replace it.
    I love the poem idea, and you've had some amazing responses. I've just this minute received my National Trust membership card for the coming year, and that has a picture of a ladybird on it. X

    ReplyDelete