Saturday 10 August 2024

Saturday evening, 10-08-24

Hi, everyone.  Today may have started off a bit dull and gloomy but it soon brightened up and it has been so lovely.  No complaints whatsoever.

It has turned out to be quite a busy day today.

It started off with me deciding I really needed to change my sheets and get some more washing done so I got going pretty pronto and got one load on the line before I did the SET class online and another load out between SET and leaving for our Writtle walk.  The third load was done when I got back and as I type, it's all been ironed, etc, and just needs putting away - and my bed needs making up too.  That won't take long.

Both SET and the walk were really good so the morning passed quickly.

Come the afternoon, there were various bits and bobs that needed doing including going to Morrisons for some potatoes.  I did have some but they were not in great nick and I had planned a jacket potato for dinner and you need good skin for a jacket potato - well, I do.
Once home again, I did some peeling and chopping of the wrinkled and sprouting ones, parboiled what I could salvage, steam dried them, dredged then in flour and open froze them.  So now I have a bag of potatoes that will take no time at all to roast.  I'm so glad they were salvageable.

I didn't get anything started in the garden so that's on tomorrow's list now.
I did take a few photos though . . .

Guess what I'm having as part of my Sunday roast tomorrow.
And ditto . . .

Not such good news about the cucumbers though.  
To be fair, I have had nine or ten cucumbers off the right hand plant but nothing off the other and they are now over and done so they're coming out tomorrow.

Ditto for the right hand pot of leaves, destined for the compost bin.  I will sow one more lot and start cutting from the left hand pot.

All fd, ready, waiting and looking good - another task for tomorrow.
It had better not rain!

On the flower front . . .

Some future Autumnal colour - some chrysanthemums.  Pink, of course!
One of the dahlia bedding plants - isn't it pretty?  I do hope they all survive until next year and become regulars, like the confused one at the front.




A third flowering of the lupin.  Great value there.

And now I'm getting this posted before picking up my knitting and catching up on some telly.  I had some of that blue yarn left so I'm making a hat and scarf set for me to use it up.  I need to have something for my hands to do come the evening.

Have you had a good day too?  I do hope so.

Night, everyone.  Sleep well.  xx



16 comments:

  1. I definitely need to plant lupins and hollyhocks next year. They will do a lot better than my cucumber plants did, I haven't had a single fruit. ☹️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems to have been a bad year for many veg. My tomatoes are not nearly as good as they usually are - maybe due to the very cold weather - well, colder than usual anyway. When one is thinking about the central heating in June - that's ridiculous!
      I love those old English country garden flowers. I think they look lovely! xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely lupins - never had any luck with those, but we're not proper gardeners, really. We've had one small ripe tomato . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. How many plants though?
      I'm not great with lupins - the other one has plenty of leafage but no flowers this year. Annoying! xx

      Delete
  3. The lupine are lovely. Most of my tubs and hanging baskets are now past their best-the strong wind and heavy rain have wiped them out. It’s been a disappointing summer so far. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it has really, taken all in. I don't have hanging baskets - they do need a lot of watering, I find. xx

      Delete
  4. I am looking into more perennials as our lilies got attacked by that beetle (Japanese Lily beetle) and perhaps more of the food producing types as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real shame. I know beetles have as much right to live as any other animal on this earth but . . . annoying, all the same. So sad about your lilies.

      Delete
  5. Super beans, we're harvesting ours now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! They do taste so good, don't they? xx

      Delete
  6. Good tip about the ready to roast spuds x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really handy when you know you're going to be busy - e.g. for Christmas. xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Me too, Nil - my absolute favourite. xx

      Delete
  8. I THOUGHT I had French bean plants but some of them look very runner beany!!!
    Sad about your cucumbers! All my raspberry plants died this year which was gutting as we usually get about 2000 fruits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - that's really very sad. Mine don't look all that healthy but they are sending up flower buds now (they are autumn fruiting). I'm considering replacing them though. Will you be getting new -plants or branching out on something else? xx

      Delete