Friday 9 August 2024

Friday evening, 09-08-24

Evening,. everyone.   How's your day gone?

Round here, it started off ever so dull and dismal and none too warm but by midday the sun was out and shining warmly and it's been a delightful summer's day.

I went to Slimming World as usual (a pound off) and then, after breakfast, did a bit of garden stuff before it got hot.
The veg bed is nearly ready for planting those winter-harvesting broad beans (applied with a good dollop of crossed fingers) as I have now added to the soil some compost and some well rotted horse manure (so it says on the bag) that I bought via Amazon.  I think I just want to add some garden compost, give it all a good fork over and Bob's your uncle, I don't think I can do any more!

I also went round doing some deadheading.  The Japanese anemones are lovely this year, as is the confused dahlia at the front.

Also round the front I have a few gladioli that always come up year after year but have done better this year.  I don't pick them but one spire got bent right over somehow (may have been a random football from the next door children - an occupational; hazard of having that sort of thing round the front) so I cut it off, took off all the faded flowers and popped what was left in a bud vase.  It's very pretty and I think I might like to have some round the back too.  I won't dig them out of the front, I will get some new bulbs - if they are bulbs . . .

Apart from the usual daily stuff, the day passed quietly and I felt very rested after a great night's sleep last night.  Tomorrow will be a bit more energetic with an online SET class and then a walk with some Slimming World friends so I'll probably get an early-ish night again tonight.

Do you have any exciting weekend plans.

Night, everyone, sleep well and sweet dreams.  xx

16 comments:

  1. We’ve been invited out to lunch tomorrow by some friends so looking forward to that. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely. Have a wonderful time with your friends. xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a productive Friday.

    I don’t have any special plans for the weekend. The new semester starts soon, so I am working on lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, those never ending lesson plans. Hope the ideas and creativity flow and it all goes smoothly. xx

      Delete
  3. Yep, glads are bulbs and you are very lucky that you get to leave them in over winter. Here on the prairies of Canada we have to dig them up in the fall and then replant them in the spring. Too cold for them to survive our winters.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have really very cold winters, don't you. Mine are right by the house so I suppose that keeps them a bit warmer and the back garden is quite sheltered. Worth giving it a go round the back anyway. xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you were quite busy in the garden. Glad you got more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIfe can get very - er - uncomfortable (?) when the sleep patterns are disrupted, can't it? You just don't feel right. xx

      Delete
  5. Your garden is really thriving 😍 We have some gladioli and one of those got blown down too, but I am enjoying them , so, like you I'm planning more for next year - still always remind me of Dame Edna Everage though 😉😄
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never into Dame Edna so don't have those associations, thank goodness!
      I might take a trip to Hyde Hall soon and see if they have any there. They usually have some lovely colours and patterns of things there. xx

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you've had a lovely day. I think I might get out and do some dead heading myself, shortly.
    We're having a quiet-ish weekend here. Lily has a tennis session this morning, and with tomorrow's weather looking promising, I think we'll spend the day at the lake. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadheading is a nice, easy occupation, isn't it? Undemanding.
      Hope Lily's tennis session went well and have a lovely time at the lake. xx

      Delete
  7. Gladioli are interesting plants. We have one that comes up every year - I don't remember planting it, though we must have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you must have done, it's not the sort of thing that is wind-spread. They are attractive, albeit short flowering. xx

      Delete
  8. As usual you had a very productive day ... you make me tired just reading about your antics. ;-)

    My exciting weekend is spending all day Saturday with the sound of a compressor, and water jets as we have ours and the next door roofs cleared of moss and the chimney stacks repointed. Men on scaffolding worry me to bits. Then they are clearing the gutters and repairing the broken guttering on Alan's top floor ... even higher up on the scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best not to look at them on the scaffolding.
      I'm shattered now (mid afternoon) but have ironing so I will push on through and sleep well tonight. xx

      Delete