Saturday 24 August 2024

Saturday evening, 24-08-24

Evening, everyone!  I'm back on track again now but why do I keep thinking today is Sunday.  Wishing my life away, that's what!

I decided that today would be a really nice, easy day.  The weather helped - it really wasn't the sort of day to go out, work in the garden, and so on.

It took me quite a while to properly sort out yesterday's leftovers but now it is all either in the freezer or on the planning to be used up, so that's good.

I rather cheated with the focaccia - I think Anna would consider it a cheat anyway - and found a wholewheat focaccia recipe on Cookidoo that linked straight to Thermione, halved it and it worked really well, I thought.

This 'slab' cut into eight single portions, not large but large enough for me (plus a tiny slice to taste - very satisfactory) and it's now all wrapped up and in the freezer.

I kept the topping simple first time with just some rosemary and some Maldon salt but next time I might try sundried tomatoes (plus the oil in the dough) or some black olives.  I'll see how I feel.

I investigated the Mediterranean diet, found a series of very useful (and sensible/down to earth) videos on YouTube and then looked on Amazon for books.  There are loads but a lot of them didn't say whether they used metric or US measures and, to be honest, I can't cope with cups and packed and sticks (not that butter is going to feature much!) ands there wasn't anywhere to ask a question so that's a lost sale.  Then I spotted that our Jamie has brought out a five ingredient Mediterranean book .  Oddly, the Kindle version was nearly £13 while the hardback was £4 - it's usually the other way round.  Guess which I went for . . . it's arriving on Tuesday.
So that is my reward for getting back into Happy Zone.  

It's surprising how long these potter-ing things take.  By the time I had done the above, watched some videos, planned my week's meals and worked on my knitting, it was well on in the afternoon.  Definitely a gentle, chillax sort of day!

Happy evening, everyone.  Sleep well and fingers crossed for nicer weather tomorrow.  xx


20 comments:

  1. My your focaccia looks wonderful. Understand perfectly about the measurement thing. I still do cups, and spoons and here in Canada we have been on the metric system for a great many years. I lived in a mixed up country, there are things we use kilometers for, groceries are sold in kilograms and milliliters, and yet still do some measurements in lbs, and inches.....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really chuffed - as a first attempt, it was very satisfying. Dead easy too, as Anna said. I'll be using some today when Beth comes round.

      Officially, we are all metric now - the old imperial is no longer taught in school and hasn't been for a very long time. However, in real life, it's a right mix up of metric and imperial. Personally, I use both, depending on the context. Cooking is mostly metric but I can convert my scales to the other, should it be an older recipe. I still think in miles per hour for speed but I fill my car with litres of petrol. I think in metres and cms but often measure my knitting in inches.
      However, I have never used cups, sticks, etc, just metric measures for capacity (except for pints, if necessary)
      Goodness, what a right muddle it all is.
      Metric is easier though, I find.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Focaccia looks great. I am sure it is delicious.

    In the US we still use cups, gallons, ounces, miles etc in everyday life, but metric system in science classes. Some students find it very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no surprised! I think we all would. I used to hate the old measures - so non-intuitive and difficult to convert. Metric is logical and it makes life a lot simpler. I think it is just oldies like me that use both really. xx

      Delete
  3. You could also borrow recipe books from your local library. If you look on the search facility you can see what is in stock and can order books from other local libraries for a very small fee. With libraries it is often a case of Use It or Lose It and there are countless other benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good point and one I hadn't really thought of - many thanks. xx

      Delete
  4. The focaccia looks fantastic. It must have tasted delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little bit I had was lovely. I'm looking forward to having some today now. Definitely making it again as a regular thing. xx

      Delete
  5. I now find working in grams easier, and CMS when measuring for sewing. I never thought that I would say that. Your focaccia looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we just do whatever comes easiest, regardless of what the official line is.
      And thank you - I'm well chuffed with it. xx

      Delete
  6. UK is supposed to be metric but we still hear sports commentators saying, 'He's 6'8"' so the confusion remains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Think is, I don't find it confusing having lived through all the change-overs but I am sure younger generations do. xx

      Delete
  7. Love the look of the focaccia! I’d make some into a pizza for sure. I prefer non metric as a quilter but always use metric for cooking. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, what a good idea - pizza! I love that, thank you. xx

      Delete
  8. I think I've got that book, I must dig it out 😀
    Nice focaccia.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some for lunch, split in half, olive oil and garlic brushed on and toasted. It was lush.
      I'm looking forward to the book arriving - I do like Jamie's recipes. xx

      Delete
  9. You lucked out on the UK price of of Oliver's book. In the US it costs £18.46 (before taxes) for the book--£15.38 for kindle. I've ordered it from the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my. I really was lucky, I agree. Definitely get it from the library! xx

      Delete
    2. Schools always promote the use of libraries, it is hoped that young readers continue to be older readers. There is nothing like the freedom of using a library - and it's a free service! Many have closed however where I live when this was proposed there was such an outcry that the tiny branches that had to close remained open and have been run ever since by volunteers.

      Delete
    3. Our local school shares a roof with the local library and every class gets a library session once a fortnight. It works so well - a bit of an age appropriate chat from the librarian, time to change their library books and a story to finish off.
      And it has taken the library off the possible closure list. xx

      Delete