Wednesday 13 March 2024

Wednesday evening

Good evening, lovely people, and welcome to my blog.  

It is Dave's birthday today.  Unlike me and Beth, he tends not to make much of a thing about it and, to be honest, wouldn't mind if I forgot completely, but I remembered to send a card and will give him something when he and Anna next come round.

I texted Chris yesterday and she was keen on doing Lindsey's ad hoc Beat the Street walk too so we made plans to walk down to the hall where it started and go from there.

Then, this morning, I got an email saying that my parcel was arriving today at the very time we were going to be out.  However, I followed the link and they were OK to leave it on the doorstep.  As I live down a short cul de sac and the doorstep is hidden by my car and the neighbours' cars too, it's as safe as any place is going to be so I was happy to go with that and do the walk.
I was rather happy it was coming early, to be honest!

And - the best timing in the world - it arrived just as I was leaving for the walk.  How lucky was that!?

It was one of those days where everything seemed to go well.  My car insurance renewal stuff arrived.  I opened it with some trepidation to see that it has gone up by the grand total of  . . . £9.02.  Under a tenner.  Phew, what a relief.
I'm not sure why it is so small an increase.  Maybe it is the age of the car, who knows?  But I'm not complaining.  All I need to hear about now is the teachers' pension increase.

The walk was really good.  I wondered if Lindsey would go around our estate but no, she took us round the next area along at a fairly spanking pace.  Great exercise and I was thoroughly lost for quite a while with no idea where we were.  It was a bit chilly but by the end we were all warmed up and, to be frank, a bit sweaty.  And I'm well over 10k steps today - my target each day is 5k.
I have lost my Beat the Street card though.  It must have fallen out of my pocket during the walk.  I was using my phone to register boxes so didn't miss it until I got home.  Oh, well . . .

Personal Training was, as always, good fun and hard work - as it is supposed to be.  What with that and the walk, I should sleep well tonight.

I've unboxed the cutter and used it.  It's just as expected - works well and is very solid and 'substantial'.  Good oh!  Yes, I've used it.  Never were carrots more beautifully sliced!

Tomorrow it's Chris' birthday.  We have agreed not to do presents for each other but I have a card and I will bake some flapjacks for our coffee and chat time using the basic 3-4-1 ratio.  We don't have any edibles usually so that will make it a bit special.
I'll do the SET class later on to make time for the flapjacks.  Lindsey records this one and pops it onto YouTube so that will be OK.
Then, in the afternoon, I have a Teams meeting with the other SEND governors in our academy trust.  I'm not expecting it to be all that interesting but it will be OK, I am sure.

I'm feeling really tired now.  It's only eight so I must stay awake a little bit longer but I think it's an early bedtime for me.
How has your day gone?  Hopefully, really well.  Sleep tight and pleasant dreams, everyone.  xx


17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Dave-our daughter and her husband were 49 today and I made them their favourite dinner tonight. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both have the same birth date - what are the chances of that? I bet you had a really lovely time. xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds as if you had a very active day. Happy Birthday to Dave, and Happy Birthday to Chris a day early.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty active but in a good way. I felt tired but happy come the evening.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds as though you've had a good day! Happy birthday to Dave and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. It really was a good day. xx

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you've enjoyed a positive and poductived day. I was working all day but managed to watch the Pottery Throw Down in the evening. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good one, wasn't it? I'm going to miss it each week now. xx

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to Dave. Your day sounds busy and active, a recipe for a good night's sleep. Pleased to hear the cutter arrived in good time and is very satisfactory. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. I'm very happy to finally have one. xx

      Delete
  6. There are a lot of birthdays for our family from January through to the end of May, yesterday (13th) it was my Mum's 84th so we went there on our usual Wednesday visit but armed with cake AND candles for a little celebration. You seem very physically active these days in lots of ways, you must be really enjoying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am, Sue. It has made such a difference to both my physical and mental well-being. It's hard to describe it really.
      Happy Birthday to your Mum.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I'm interested in your flapjack recipe, I love them but have to watch my teeth these days......are yours softish or very crunchy? 😀
    Alison in west x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be either, it depends on the cooking temperature.
      The recipe is a 3-2-1 ratio and I used 60g oats, 40g butter and 20g demerara sugar plus a squeeze of golden syrup. Next time I will add some lemon juice too, I think.
      Reheat the oven to 160C
      Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan, add the oats and mix well.
      Line a small baking tin with parchment, tip in the oat mixture and flatten down with a spatula.
      For soft, bake at 160 for 20 to 25 mins.
      For crunchy (but not hard), bake at 160 for about 15 mins, then turn up the heat to around 200 and give it another five to ten minutes. Go by what it looks like/how it feels.

      Carefully cut into - well, however many you want - I cut it into six.
      After a few minutes, lift out carefully using the parchment and allow to cool. Take off the parchment (it should just peel away), break into pieces along the cutting line and finish cooling on a cooling rack.

      I think you could add seeds, dried fruit, etc.
      Hope this helps. xx

      I made them crunchy so adapted the recipe by turning up the heat after a while. They're not hard at all, just crunchy.
      I haven't made the original which is soft and chewy.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for this 😍
      Alison x

      Delete