Wednesday 3 April 2024

Wednesday evening, 03-04-24

Good evening, everyone.  How has your day gone?  It's been another damp old day today, on and off, although with short spells of glorious sunshine, more inside drying and nothing done in the garden.

I was thinking back to the beginning of the year because, ridiculous as it sounds, we are now a quarter of the way through 2024 -  how?????

Anyway, time for a bit of a review, I thought, having seen several other bloggers/vloggers doing a mini review of their aims for the year.  It's not such a bad idea, thought I, it makes me sound and feel more organised and on top of things than I really am.

I had three areas  that I wanted to focus on a bit more.  They were Economy, Energy and Enjoyment (definitely with capital letters!).

So I started thinking about the first one, economy.
To be honest, that's not going too badly.  I wanted to keep a very close eye on where the money was going, I wanted to be less mindlessly spendy and, as a consequence, build up my shorter term savings which took a fair old battering last year, one way and another.

I'm now in the habit of checking my bank account almost every morning, to see what's been taken out and getting it recorded on my spreadsheet.  I'm finding that very useful and it is comforting to know that if my financial adviser (that sounds posher than it really is) ever wants a more up-to-date view, I have it at the click of a mouse, unlike the first time which was highly embarrassing because I had not a clue.

As a result of a general aim to be less spendy, I've been able to move across amounts from current account to savings account at the end of every month except for March when I was able to cover my car insurance without taking anything out of savings.  
That's the sort of thing my short term savings are for.  Some people call them sinking funds and have specific labels for various funds.  I just bung it all in together and take it out when necessary, if the usual monthly income doesn't quite cover it or if there's something more unexpected - which there usually is at some point.

I've been tempted to spend on 'stuff' - but it's been OK.  I'm not ever going to be a super-frugal person.  I enjoy being able to buy nice food, eat out with friends now and again, going on coach trips, etc.  I'm trying to aim for making the best of what I have to give me a happy, generous and productive life, however much there is left of it, and to have something to leave my family.

Enough for now - I'll waffle about the other areas tomorrow.

It's been a productive day today.  It started when I realised I was out of bread in the freezer so I made a couple of loaves which I have now sliced and frozen.
I did some of the housework I should have done yesterday but didn't. I did some washing, drying and ironing.  And I had personal training with Lindsey.  All in all, a satisfying day.

As for tomorrow, it starts with SET online and then that's it for a couple of weeks.  Then I'm off to Chris' for coffee and chat and then I must get ready for Friday's jolly to London as well as finishing off the housework.

Next week, Lindsey is away and the week after that I am away. 
I think I need to make the best of the extra time I will have next week by blocking in some garden time.  I really do need to spend more than the odd half an hour here and there to get it summer-ready and next week is an ideal time - providing the weather plays ball.

Right, better stop waffling.  I hope your day has been lovely and that you enjoy a great night's sleep. Sweet dreams.  xx


12 comments:

  1. Harvey does a quarterly assessment of our finances, I just do the monthly stuff on what we are spending. Economically not too worried, but the other two I need to work on a bit more.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something, isn't there? It is great to feel financially secure but it does need to be worked at. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, to be so organized! Sounds like you are doing a great job. Tax season will be upon us here soon and then I will know how the year has treated my finances. No nasty surprises, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to stay on top of things after decades of comparative carelessness with finance. I've got into a few muddles in my time, nothing too serious, just enough not to want to go there ever again.
      I'm sure there won't be many nasty surprises for you. xx

      Delete
  3. I have several accounts but all my bills go out of one, so there's no problems about spends, I really only buy for the garden, books and Boots stuff.. so not a lot of spending. I buy clothes as and when I need.. Works for me, I've stopped buying 'stuff' got enough already and giving it away these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping it as simple as possible really helps, I think. I couldn't micromanage things as deeply as - well, the Frugal Queen, for example, and there's no need to but I do like to feel on top of things.
      xx

      Delete
  4. We have always had a separate bank account for bills which I review every six months. I think when you get to a certain age experiences and outings are much more important than 'things' We have recently had a new kitchen, completely stripped out and I got rid of so much that was just sitting in the cupboards never used. My late parents moved house in their sixties as Dad was ill so my Sister, Mum and I got rid of a lot of their excess items. I know my children and grandchildren have different tastes than I do so I just keep things I really like although I have a few times that were Mum and Nans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a number of items that were Mum and Dad's too. Some I don't use and will need to make that decision at some point, but it is just too soon right now.
      Good point about the 'children' I'm the same and need to apply that thinking a bit more, don't I? Thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I do the day to day banking and Barry does the VAT, which always takes forever. It's done now, so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a relief when it's done and dusted, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  6. The year is flying by too quickly! I think treats are good as long as they are within your budget. To be frank, enjoy things while you can as you never know when things will change and you certainly can't take it with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I keep telling myself this. You just never know . . . xx

      Delete