Saturday 13 April 2024

Saturday evening, 13-04-24

Evening, all.  Hasn't it been a beautiful day?  It has here, for sure.  Wall to wall sunshine and warm enough to eat lunch in the garden.

I seem to have got a lot done for an 'easy' day.  That's often the way, isn't it?
After putting some washing on, I decided that I would make some granola for next week's breakfast after remembering that the nicest breakfasts I had on the cruise was yogurt, fresh fruit and granola.  I didn't have everything needed (it is not safe to keep nuts in the house - they don't last very long) so I walked along the road to Morrisons.  The trees were in blossom, the birds were singing their little hearts out and it was beautiful.

So I made granola, had breakfast (not granola but I did nibble the nuts, oops), hung out the first load of washing, put in another and it was so nice and warm, I got out the gardening things and pretty much did everything that needed doing.  It's lovely to see everything coming up and looking good, especially things that got disturbed during all the building work last year.

I took some photos:

Strawberries in waiting!  And a ladybird, basking in the sunshine.


Not a great photos - but I moved the blueberry into a pot (it was just in a black poly thing after the pot it was in had rotted) and was so pleased to see a number of flowers.  I think I need to get another one though; they don't self pollinate.

Now I have a water butt, I can water it properly.

The geranium wasn't great last year and it did get rather disturbed during the rebuilding of the wall so it's nice to see strong growth.
Out the front, one of the tubs looking really pretty.
The lily of the valley was a work in progress for so many years.  Mum gave me some roots a very long time ago and they stayed in a pot for ages before I split then and put some round the front.  Last year they showed signs of being a bit happier and this year they have spread and are going to look lovely.  There will be enough to pick a few to scent the living room.  One of Mum's favourite flowers and scents and one of mine too.
The English bluebells were also a work in progress for ages but seem happy now.  I split them and that worked.
And finally - by the front door and looking very attractive.

I weeded, cleared around paving slabs, moved pots around, swept up stuff, did more weeding round the front, emptied some old stuff into the brown bin and mowed the 'lawn' - for want of another polite term.

And then I went over to Beth's for coffee and a good chat, came home, did all the ironing and - phew.  All very satisfying but I'm glad I had planned an easy dinner.

Tomorrow is also a busy day, busy enough for me to want to make a Little List to ensure I get everything done.  I can have a good chill when everything's completed, can't I?

Have you had great weather your way too?  

Time to log off so I will wish you a very good night with sweet dreams and a good lie in tomorrow.  Take care.  xx


22 comments:

  1. That beautiful pink tulip is gorgeous. My blueberry self pollinated and I had a decent crop last year. I've added another but it's a tiny thing and isn't doing much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it. I don't usually buy ready potted arrangements but i fell for the photo. They can go in the garden when they are over - that's the lovely thing about bulbs. They just keep giving.
      I understood blueberries were not self pollinating but it sounds like I'm wrong there. - I'll see how the flowers do - there's a nice lot of them this year. Last year, I got five - just five!! The year before, it was great. xx

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking so pretty and all the plants are so far advanced compared to ours. We had torrential rain and some high winds again today although the temperature reached a balmy 13C this afternoon. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been very pleasant this last week. Not as much rain and definitely milder. I just hope it lasts.
      I hope it cheers up your way too soon. xx

      Delete
  3. I can resist nuts except for cashews - they aren't safe in the house either. Your plants are all looking very healthy and your photos have reminded me I should pick up some pansies - they are the only thing safe to plant here yet as we can still have some frosty nights. Enjoy your granola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohy, yes! Cashews are my favourites too although I love them all.
      Pansies are lovely, aren't they. They have such friendly faces. xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely flowers. I am so looking forward to things to begin growing here. The weather was beautiful after a morning of clouds. I just hope it keeps going that way.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so. It's about time it did, for sure. xx

      Delete
  5. The garden is looking lovely! It was a beautiful day here today, much needed after the rain of the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we could say the rainy days help us to appreciate they good days even more - like most things in life!
      Gardens look their nicest early summer, don't they. OK, it's not summer right now, but everything is bursting into life again and our spirits rise.
      And, as I type this, the morning sun has just broken through. I do hope it's another lovely day. xx

      Delete
  6. How lovely to be a ladybird, basking in the sunshine :) Your flowers are looking gorgeous, Joy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cute, aren't they. Thanks, Jules. xx

      Delete
  7. It was lovely here, too. The scent of the malus blossom wafted across the garden - superb.
    Our blueberry has quite a lot of blossom - we didn't have a lot of fruit last year, but even a little, freshly picked, is welcome.
    How nice to see a ladybird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it. Sadly, the snails were also out in force, drat them! I love a ladybird though. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  8. A busy day then Joy, I think the sunshine gets me more active, so hope it lasts here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is busy but it doesn't feel busy, if you know what I mean. xx

      Delete
  9. How pretty your garden looks.
    I love a bit of homemade granola - so easy to personalise it to suit your preference isn't it........I don't like raisins much but love nuts and seeds so adjust it accordingly.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will probably be making some more at some point. It does taste good and, as you say, one can ring the changes.
      And thank you - we're getting there . . . xx

      Delete
  10. How lovely to see the Lily of the Valley - it was my nanna's favourite flower and Mum had a big patch of them in a previous garden. I'm very pleased to see a few in our garden here....they've crept in under the fence from next door's garden. Before I forget, have a lovely time at CP Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lovely - they will soon spread more, I am sure. SUch a very pretty flower.
      Thanks, Sooze. xx

      Delete
  11. Amazing how plants respond and grow better in certain places. Your plants look very healthy. Homemade granola - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sometimes. They really do though.
      The granola is tasty and I am looking forward to enjoying it this week. xx

      Delete