Friday 19 April 2024

Friday evening, 19-04-24

Good evening, everyone.  

I had a really good journey home and I didn't get lost ONCE - by that, I mean I didn't take a wrong turning - you're never actually proper lost with a sat nav, are you?
The only momentary ooops was in Sudbury when, suddenly, there was a sign saying 'Road Closed Ahead'.  I hate it when that happens because it never says WHICH road is closed.  It could be the road you're on or it could be a side road.  Why can't it say 'this road' or 'side road'?
Fortunately, it was the latter so that was OK.

I was lucky with the weather too - I went through plenty of places that had had recent rain but never got caught in a shower myself.

Once home, it didn't take long to turn the hot water back on, turn on the central heating for a short time (it felt a bit chilly) get unloaded, make coffee (I have priorities), unpack, get the first load of washing on and do a fruit and veg shop.
Later on, I had finished all the washing which is now drying on the rack because it has been very showery here today and I've just finished making a couple of loaves of bread for the freezer - the house is smelling awesome and homey. 
And I got my finances up to date.  Normally, I like to check it all regularly and keep my spreadsheet up to date which, obviously, I couldn't do this week.
I think I'm all set up now.

The garden is still looking OK.

The bluebells at the front are lovely
and the lily of the valleys (or is it lilies of the valley?) are looking good too . . . 
while, round the back, the strawberries are also looking promising.
Just as long as we don't get any frosts . . .

While I was away, I got an email from EON that cheered me up.  The last bill for electricity was around the £50 mark and the new one, payable at the beginning of May, is around £28.  That's quite a drop and I'm guessing that not only are the days longer so I am not turning the lights on so much but also, with the longer days and higher sun, the solar panels are producing more power.  Whatever the reason, it was very cheering.

Tomorrow, I'm out for a walk with some Slimming World friends in the morning and I also need to get the ironing finished off and do my meal plan for the coming week.
What are your plans for the weekend?

Sleep well, everyone, and stay warm.  xx


18 comments:

  1. I do so love seeing the spring flowers, though will admit that lily of the valley are just too invasive for my garden. We've just moved house and were delighted to see a strawberry patch in the back garden. Here's hoping the birds don't beat us to the fruit in a couple of months.
    Good on you for making it home without an unexpected detour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are invasive, sadly, and I will need to have some up after they have flowered. I might replant them in one of my pots and label (so I remember!!).
      Good luck with your strawberries. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you got home safely, sounds like you had a lovely time. No plans here for the weekend although the car is going in for an oil change tomorrow. We had hope for tennis on Sunday but the weather is still "iffiy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's iffy here too - sunshine and then sudden, heavy showers and it's pretty chilly too. Very unpredictable.
      Fingers crossed for your tennis and also the car. xx

      Delete
  3. Glad you are home safe and sound. Lovely garden, hope the strawberries produce lots for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. Hoping you and yours are all well. I need to catch up on your blog (and everyone else's' as well). xx

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good journey home and got all tidied up. Enjoy your walk today and hope the rain stays away. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thanks, and it was. Most enjoyable. xx

      Delete
  5. It's easy to slip back into the routine, and comforting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am catching up on blogs and how delightful to see your spring flowers - up here in the 'frozen north' these flowers are still just buds! Strangely when we go up to our cottage the garden in Scotland which is much further north has more things in bloom but then it can be very much milder due to the gulf stream there - just up the road is the botanical gardens with palm trees. Our plan for today is packing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been unexpected but a very pleasant sight. xx

      Delete
  7. I dig out the bluebell as soon as they finish flowering so they don't become a nuisance. They still seem to pop up all over the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably like the challenge. :-) xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely flower pics and as we've said before - East , West home is best x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great short break at Center Parcs last week. Just the perfect break for you. A welcome sight to come home to the bright blue bluebells and the sweet scent of lily of the valley in your front garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really pleasant - a cheerful greeting from my garden. xx

      Delete