Monday 8 January 2024

Monday, 08-01-24: Economy!

 Morning, peoples!!
Today is really where my New Year starts.  The weekend was mopping up the mess from the holiday but today Lindsey starts her classes again and I am so glad.

Yesterday I waffled on about the past year and those three Cs.  I don't 'do' resolutions, as I have often said, but there's nothing wrong with a few flexible goals and a few words that, perhaps, encapsulate them.
So when I was thinking about goals, moving on from last year taking the best of it with me, where I would like to be at the end of 2024, three words came to mind that all start with the same letter (it makes them easier to remember!).

They are Economy, Energy and Enjoyment.  I pondered Excellence before decided I really didn't need that kind of pressure and it was way too OFSTED-y for my liking anyway.

First, Economy.
I looked up some definitions.  Some referred to national economy but the gist was the best use of resources for the benefit (or otherwise) of the community.
That's me - and my family!
I think what I have in mind touches on frugality, thriftiness, good management, all those words that we use when we want to define a sensible, careful use of our 'physical' resources, both financial and other.

Basically, I am happy with the way my finances are operating.  I'm not going into details but I have long term, medium and shorter term savings.  I am able to save a proportion of my monthly income which goes out automatically.  I now have the ex-cleaning money that also will be transferred automatically.  And I know I am very, very fortunate.
So I need to monitor my spending very carefully and daily as much as I can and (something I used to do but stopped for a while with bits of money coming in from Mum and Dad's inheritance and because everything was a bit haywire with the big projects, at the end of each month) any leftover/unused income  will be moved into short term savings which need to build up again rather than using it for stuff I really don't need.
As far as my other resources are concerned, I want to finish sorting and decluttering various areas of my home, sooner rather than later.  Starting today!

This has gone on longer than I thought so I'll leave the other two for tomorrow.

Today, apart from Lindsey's circuits class, I MUST take down that Christmas tree.  I didn't do it at the weekend because I just wasn't feeling up to all the bending, lifting and carrying that would entail although I did sort out the other decorations.
If I have time left over, there's one big cupboard in the kitchen that is top of the decluttering list.  I might start that!

Have a lovely day, everyone.  Stay warm, stay safe and enjoy what you're doing.  xx










20 comments:

  1. It's rather startling to see you looking to the end of 2024! I understand what you're saying, though and it's good to have a plan. Enjoy your day, Joy. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - well, long term goals, you know. Then break them down into shorter term aims. Having taught for so long, I just can't help it! :-D xx

      Delete
  2. I love the new header! Good goals to have. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze.
      A goal for today/this week is to get back in the habit of reading around the blogs I enjoy so much. I have sorely neglected them recently. xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely new header photo and it will bring back good memories of your cruise. I’m 74 today and we are off to a funeral which will incur a round trip of 70+ miles. I’m still sorting and giving away things so hope to get on with it later in the week. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goal for the year ahead, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev. I hope they help me through this coming year. xx

      Delete
  5. Goal setting is a very positive new year thing to do. I'm finding that the older I get the more ' pulling myself up by the bootstraps ' I have to do, which is, for me anyway, a form of goal setting - positive thinking 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too - you can call them lots of things but it's all about taking a good look at things and deciding what we want to change, why and then how. It's definitely all about positivity, I agree, not about running ourselves down. xx

      Delete
  6. I usually set long term goals and then some short term or monthly goals. I am trying to be more economical and save more as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off last year with a few monthly goals and, thinking about it, I achieved quite a lot. Then the goals just sort of came along rather than me setting them. Do you find that at times? xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good start to your New Year..We did take our tree down and all the cards Saturday and after a quick dust I put up the photographs so it doesn't look bare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is down now and I agree, it really looks rather bleak and bare for a few days and then I enjoy the 'clean-ness' again. Putting out photos is a great idea - were they there before? xx

      Delete
  8. I don't do resolutions either, and my goals tend to fluctuate. It's always lovely to have a major goal completed - like your garden room. I do find those type of goals tend to lend themselves to additional goals - like decorating said room. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, they really do. Several of my aims for the first few months involve knock-ons. xx

      Delete
  9. Great words to set a theme for 2024! Mine are courage and contentment. Hope your busy day goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, I really do. Contentment was one of mine last year and courage is brilliant. xx

      Delete
  10. I haven't set theme words, but I definitely have some goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I think life gives us goals and themes naturally, whether we name them or not. xx

      Delete