Thursday 18 January 2024

Thursday, 18-01-24

Morning, everyone.  I've just ventured out in the dark to pop some recycling stuff in the bin (collection today and they often come pretty early) and brrrr - it's a right heavy frost right now.  I hope that eases a bit before I next go out.

I seem to have accidentally given a very false impression of my cleanliness!!!
When I asked if anyone cleaned inside their divan base (if they have one, that is), I really meant inside, not underneath or around but within the body of the 'box' that you can't see and can't get to unless you take the drawers completely out.

Brenda (and anyone else), this is what I mean by a divan base . . .
This is actually the one I was going to get but not now because I noticed it has legs, not castors, and I want castors for ease of moving away from the wall for cleaning.  
The mattress goes on top of the base and those drawers can be very useful although I know to my cost that they won't take anything heavy, hence the collapsed drawer that started all this off.
You can, obviously, buy a mattress at the same time but I don't need one.

So - when I got the collapsed drawer out, actually inside the 'box' was terribly dusty.  I had never thought about cleaning inside my bed but I will from now on, maybe once a month, like the windows.
So - does anyone clean inside as well as over, under and around?

Anyway - I went into town, got some advice, came home, started to order online and had to stop because I could see nowhere that gave me the option of having the old base taken away - and that, for me, is a non-negotiable.  It could, of course, be the other side of the 'pay now' button but I wasn't taking that risk.  So it's back into town today, back to John Lewis, to order face to face.  And if there are problems with that, they have lost their sale and I will look elsewhere.

It's quite a nice bus ride into town and I do have the time (and the golden oldies bus pass) so no problems.

There's no online class today as Lindsey has a family commitment so she had posted a pre-record that we can use when it suits us.  I can have coffee and chat with Chris early and then I can get into town, probably on the 11:00 bus.  I believe the market is open today so I might have a wander round - if it isn't too cold, that is.

Once home, providing I feel like it, I will start tackling the last bedroom which is very much a dumping ground.  That's going to be a work in progress as there's a lot to go through, but by the time I start, I will have an empty bin and a strong desire to deal with it, maybe via a daily fifteen minutes or so.  Wish me luck!!

If you have underbed drawers, what do you store in them - if that's not too personal a question?  xx

22 comments:

  1. Winter clothes - heavy jumpers, jeans, sports clothes/walking gear. I don’t have a lot of storage space in my bedroom so this suits me but in the past I’ve used one drawer for wrapping paper and gift bags. I’ve also used a small drawer (mine has one long, one short so you don’t have to move the bedside table when you open it) to store books. I think you were unlucky with your divan, the drawers on mine are very strong. And no, I have never considered hoovering inside it! if I can’t see it, it doesn’t bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I was just unlucky. Not to worry, it's lasted a good l.ong time without one of the drawers and I can't complain. If the new one lasts as long, it will see me out! :-)
      I was umming and ahing about my yarn stash . . .
      xx

      Delete
  2. Only ever had 1 bed with drawers and they were so heavy and difficult to get in and out that we never had similar again.
    All 3 beds now are frames, slats and mattresses - much easier to replace and no stubbed toes .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those stubbed toes. I don't do it very often but when I do, it is so sore.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We opted not to have underbed drawers in our new bed as it was just a hiding place for me to store more fabric and yarn and forget about it. I have roll out boxes under the spare double bed and that’s mainly for my stash. Our local council gives one free uplift per year and £32 after that. John Lewis usually takes away like for like but there is a cost. We have recently had a new cooker and washing machine from AO and they took away the old ones and connected the new ones but we thought the charge was worth it as husband and I can no longer lift these heavy things between us. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really get that - it doesn't take much of an excuse to get more craft stash, does it?
      I am pleased to say that there doesn't appear to be any extra cost so that's good, but I would pay it, if necessary. xx

      Delete
  4. Interesting read Joy. I have never had a bed like that and purchased two beds as described by Sue when I moved here 8 years ago. They are fine. I keep possessions to a minimum so don't have the need for any extra storage space. Smaller, independent bed suppliers usually take away old ones as part of the deal when you purchase a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just do love storage . . . and, yes, I do have too much stuff. < hanging head in shame >
      xx

      Delete
  5. I like that bed. I have never seen one without a springs and mattress combination. Would be too difficult for me to do the drawers on the floor now…looks nice. Enjoy your shopping. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda - it does look nice. xx

      Delete
  6. I've got the sort of bed with a hydraulic spring so the whole mattress lifts up to reveal storage underneath. It was supposed to be an easy lift but as it's gotten older it's harder to lift and impossible for me to put down. I have to remember to ask Alan to come in and put it back down if I've been 'under' the bed for any reason. I just keep all my out of season clothes, shoes and bedding under there, plus some bits and bobs that I couldn't find a place for in my tiny home. We have drawers in the king sized bed at the Welsh flat which I find much easier than the lift up bed idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look at one like that and consider it before deciding to stick with what I knew and have shelves. It must make great storage though. xx

      Delete
  7. Never had a bed like that, though I think one of our sons has. I will have to ask him if he pulls out the drawers and cleans the innards.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did get an awful shock. Urgh!
      xx

      Delete
  8. We had beds with drawers once. I seem to remember them being quite heavy and awkward, even without contents, but I'm sure they're better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on the mattress - mattresses can be pretty heavy. xx

      Delete
  9. We have a bed with those drawers underneath - I really should check them out having read this! I store oldish sports gear in them, from the days when we used to attempt to keep fit......most of it should go to a cs I'm sure.
    Ps we had some snow today
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the cs would be glad to take the gear, if you want to get rid of it. Good luck with sorting things out (if you do).
      No snow here but we have had a really cold day, hardly getting above freezing most of the day. xx

      Delete
  10. The drawer has collapsed in our spare bed too. It's really flimsy so I shouldn't be surprised really. I'm wondering if I should just remove it and use the cavity for spare bedding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not intended to be that strong, I guess. One of the spare bed drawers has also collapsed but not as drastically as the one in my room. I( can't remember what is in it but I will take a look some time next week. xx

      Delete
  11. I swap over the Summer and Winter clothes in my underbed drawers so I give them a bit of a hoover and dust then but only that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - thanks for that. Nothing too heavy! xx

      Delete