Friday 5 January 2024

Friday, 05-01-24: back to normal

. . . what passes for normal, anyway!

Good morning, everyone.  How are you all doing?  First of all, I want to say again a big thank you to everyone who stuck with me while I lived a dream over the past two weeks, whether you commented or not.  It was so lovely to know you were all reading and, I hope, enjoying the words and the photos.

Disembarking yesterday was an absolute doddle.  Between the excellent Fred.Olsen system and our One Traveller group manager's support, we were ushered pretty seamlessly through the whole process which was hardly complicated anyway.  The only blip was that we had to wait for our driver because we were off ship earlier than the time he had been given so we had to hang around for a short time.  Hardly a hardship and the sun was shining!

As for the actual drive home, it was a dream - so much easier than going because there was no unexpected traffic and no hold-ups so I was home by before twelve, Diane having been dropped off first.

What an experience it has been!  It's going to take a while to completely process it all but I have memories that will last me the rest of my life, I hope.  The snow, the scenery, the snow capped mountains, the cliffs, the excursions, the life on board . . . phew.

I still don't have any photos of the Northern Lights to share - I'll post some as soon as I do.

When I got home, the first thing I did was make a coffee - no, go to the loo, then make a coffee.  Two hours in I had . . .
had several coffees
read the gas meter and sent the readings off (Very Important)
reset the heating thermostat
turned on  the Christmas Tree lights - may as well enjoy them for a few more days
done a fairly big shop
sorted out washing all over the kitchen floor
put one load in
got out both drying racks
emptied one suitcase and my tech bag
and, just for once
put everything straight away in proper homes rather than shifting piles around.

How organised is that then, eh?

Then I crashed, sat down, turned on the telly and started catching up on YouTube while falling asleep more than once.  I tried to stay up for longer because of the hour time change but was wide awake at three thirty this morning.  That will settle in the next few days.

So, today . . .
As usual, on a Friday, I start with Slimming World.  I've had a little online chat with Jen and won't be weighing for a few weeks while I get back into normality again.  I can leave eight weeks between weighs, if I want, but I won't, I will set myself a date two or three weeks hence and work towards that.  It's not a big deal but, obviously, I want to get back to where I was before Christmas.

Then I have one case to unpack and that's all the unpacking done.  I have one load of washing in as I type (it's about half past four a.m.), one load dry and either in the ironing basket or folded to go away and one load still damp and I'm reckoning another two loads to go in, one of which will have to be very gentle as it's all the sparkly turn-it-inside-out-and-hope stuff

I'd also like to get some meals planned.  My shopping yesterday was all fresh stuff - fruit and veg mainly plus some meat, cheese, etc and a few things for colds.  It was actually really nice to be starting from scratch with an empty fridge and, certainly, easier to put everything away without stuff to move to the front, etc.
Anyway, I reckon I have enough fresh stuff to last me a while now.

What I don't have to do for the first time in decades is get my house cleaner-ready.  That's because I no longer have cleaners coming in each week.
No, I haven't been a bad client or anything but, because of the way the company I used worked (using cleaners from their home country who come over to work for them for a spell and then go home again) combined with various political restrictions in place now or threatening to be put in place, they can't get the staff (as the saying goes) any more.  I'm not going to get all political, this isn't what this blog is about, so no further comment from me or from you, please, but it's sad.

I did ponder whether I should get someone else - there are other local companies - but decided that this was perhaps an opportunity to be grasped.  Let's face it, I have been remarkably fortunate in this particular area since I retired and very grateful for it.  Before then, it was a necessity really but now I can very easily do my own cleaning and I certainly do have the time.  A bit of a chore and bore, maybe, but a great way to save a bit of money each month.  And I do mean save, not spend - I want to start a holiday savings account.
What will work for me is to organise it all into daily stuff.  Monday - steam clean the floors (more of them now I have a garden room, of course), Tuesday, bedrooms . . . etc.  Not rigid but organised.  I can do that very easily.
So I also want to get that up and running.

And if I really hate it, I can always look for someone and be very thankful that I can.

Goodness, haven't I rambled on!!  If you've made it this far, congratulations on your endurance and stamina!  I'll stop now and let you get on.
Have a wonderful day, whatever your plans.  Stay safe and keep warm and dry!  xx

32 comments:

  1. Lovely to have you back Joy and so happy you had a wonderful holiday xx (mo.Good Easter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mo. It's been great but so is getting home again. xx

      Delete
  2. You have been very organised, Joy. Not that I would expect anything less ;)
    Time to rest, put your feet up for a while, and reminisce about your amazing trip.
    Would you consider going again? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - like a shot! Hence the new holiday savings. Not this year, of course -I already have short breaks at Center Parcs and POtters arranged and paid for, 0plus those coach trips, but maybe next year, depending on how it all goes. xx

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to hear that you are home safe and sound. You certainly had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Cherie. Even better than expected. xx

      Delete
  4. It's very satisfying to be mostly unpacked and things put away soon after returning, isn't it? I try to always do that every time we come back from the caravan - I hate being in a mess. Be gentle with yourself for a few days, Joy. I look forward to seeing more pics, when you have time to put them on. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is . . . it's still a bit chaotic at the moment with washing/drying/ironing all over the place, but it's be sorted before long.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Welcome home! You have lovely memories to carry you through the dark days of January and February. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very lucky.
      I also have plenty of tried and tested thermals to see me through alongside the memories. lol
      xx

      Delete
  6. Glad you are safely home. I've loved all the posts following your cruise adventure and so glad to hear how much you enjoyed it. Time to relax and start planning the next one now😉 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping. Something to aim for, barring disasters, anyway. xx

      Delete
  7. I so enjoyed reading daily about your cruise. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lesley. It was fun to share about it all. xx

      Delete
  8. Good to hear that you arrived home safely.
    I very much enjoyed reading your holiday blog. Such a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks very much, Carole. xx

      Delete
  9. I'm so pleased you had a wonderful holiday and home again safely. Hope you've soon got your 'land legs' back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that - I'm still trying to compensate which gives the impression of the ground moving - if that makes sense. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed your journey journal. Cleaning isn’t bad. I don’t daily and keep up. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's not bad at all. :-) I just have to get into the habit. xx

      Delete
  11. I do certain cleaning jobs on certain days so other than cleaning the bathroom (which I will never grow to enjoy) things move along smoothly. Glad that you are home and kind of settling in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the best way to go for me. I'm better when I have a plan. xx

      Delete
  12. It was absolutely lovely to 'share' your holiday with you. Good that you are back safe - east , west, home is best x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  13. An idea...I am a really budget minded person...perhaps put the money you WOULD have used for a cleaner in an envelope...save that for something special. Maybe a trip...an outing...it will add up. I use envelopes all of the time for cash like that even though I use my credit card most...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is almost exactly my plan except that it will be in an account rather than an envelope, moved over monthly. That can help my holiday fund. Clever, aren't we? :-) xx

      Delete
  14. Gosh you are right back to earth with a bump after your lovely holiday. You sound very organised ... I would expect nothing less from you Joy. I'm glad you loved the holiday and have so many wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel happier when I know what's happening. I don't always stick to plans but at least I'm halfway there! :-) xx

      Delete
  15. Most often, unless delays occur at the port, disembarkation is an easy process. They want you off the ship so it can be cleaned and turned around for the next batch of passengers.
    I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise and holiday. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks very much. xx

      Delete
  16. So glad all went well getting home. Sometimes it can be really stressful. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. Saving the money for a holiday fund sounds like a good way to get motivated to clean your own house. It makes it seem less of a chore and more a way of looking forward to having more time away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of good points about it, aren't there - quite apart from the fact that it shouldn't be a big deal, most of us do. :-) xx

      Delete