Tuesday 9 January 2024

Tuesday, 09-01-24: Energy!

Morning, everyone!  It's turned right cold around here and we even had some wintry white stuff.  Not much, admittedly, we rarely do in this neck of the woods, but it was definitely snow and not the predicted sleet.

Here you go - proof!


I finally got the Christmas Tree dismantled and all the decorations tucked away in their rightful boxes.  However, I'm still feeling a little fragile, it was cold and damp and I just didn't want to venture out so everything is stacked up by the French window.  I nearly took a photo but decided not to expose you to such a sight.
I've got my thermal over-trousers on for our walk to Groove in around fifteen minutes so when I get back I'll keep them on and do it all then.  That way, I stay warm.

Today is Groove and then clearing, tidying, decluttering and sorting out.  Once I've done the Christmas stuff, I want to tackle that kitchen cupboard.  Wish me luck!



The second of my three words for 2024 is 'energy'.
I Googled 'Energy'.
What is the simple definition of energy?
Energy is the ability to do work
Scientists define energy as the ability to do work. Modern civilization is possible because people have learned how to change energy from one form to another and then use it to do work.
Perfect!  Reduce it down to one person and that's what I want this year!
As we get older, we know that, realistically, we are likely to have reduced physical energy.  However, as someone who has been very overweight for pretty much all my adult life, I have more physical energy now than I have had for many decades and I want to maintain, use and encourage that as much as I can.  Look out, Lindsey, here I come!

As far as mental energy is concerned, I'm aware that my memory isn't what it was, but I do Sudoku and other mental exercise stuff and I hope that is helping.  Also, I think that if the mind is feeling lacklustre and weary, it impacts on everything else, so I want to focus on it a bit more - not quite sure how yet but I think it could be important.
However, I am better at recognising when I just need to step back and rest.  Acceptance is a form of mental energy, it doesn't have to be all up-and-doing stuff.  I have you people to thank for that with your encouraging and helpful comments so many thanks.
And perhaps I need to think about what I am feeding my mind with in 2024.

I resorted to Google again for emotional energy.
Emotional energy is how we feel about what is going on in our lives: our work, our relationships, ourselves, and our general situation. Understanding your emotions and getting better at emotional regulation is important because our wellbeing is directly impacted by how we feel.
I think I am OK with this one but that doesn't mean I don't need to stay aware and appreciative of everyone and everything in my small world and balance the positively with all the rubbish going on in the world right now.

One more - Enjoyment - tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. You seem to have plenty of energy, Joy. I hope the fragility wears off soon.
    We had snow yesterday, too - quite an unusual occurrence these days, x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it wasn't too inconveniencing - it wasn't much here. xx

      Delete
  2. I like what you have written about energy and will try to boost my own levels. I have gained 2.5 stones which I know is not helping and I must bet back to much healthier eating in smaller portions. I also need to up my walking as I have really not being doing well since the weather became wet/cold. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to be motivated when the days are dark and cold and the weather is awful. Everyone needs a Lindsey, I guess, to keep them on track as she does me. Good luck with losing a bit of that weight - do you have some 'how' ideas? xx

      Delete
  3. I've been a bit shocked by how my energy levels plummeted after turning 60. I do still have some days when I achieve loads but it tends to be the exception not the norm......I could help myself a bit ( or even quite a lot !) by eating more healthily, well, maybe this year 😀😉
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating a healthy diet certainly does help, I have found. xx

      Delete
  4. I admire your energy, I'm not into de cluttering just yet, maybe in a week or two, or three?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - the motivation comes and goes, that's for sure. xx

      Delete
  5. You are an inspiration. Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marjorie, that's so kind. xx

      Delete
  6. I do falter in the energy department by mid afternoon. I get most of my household tasks done in the morning. I think I just need to move more.

    I am busy decluttering and organizing as well. I am slowly moving things around so as to not have to go downstairs as much to get cooking appliances, or to get on my hands and knees and dig in the bottom cabinets. I should be able to finish that off this month.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people do and it's not totally connected with age. xx

      Delete
  7. Based on my reading of your posts, I'd say you have a lot of physical energy! You certainly accomplish a lot in a day.
    I love the look of your garden room. It's a lovely addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maebeme. I'm loving it now I've got used to it. xx

      Delete
  8. Like Jackie above, my energy levels seem to plummet by the afternoon, hence why I try to get everything done in the mornings. And although it's sunny here, it's really blimmin freezing cold, which puts me off of going for a walk. I like the way you've really put a lot of thought into your goals for this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought carefully because it can just be words and nothing else. Thanks, Sooze.
      It's jolly cold here too and I was glad I had layers for the walk to Groove. xx

      Delete
  9. You always seem to be on the go so I think you have quite a bit of energy! I think as we get older it does take a little more effort. I miss my daily walks as I feel as though they give me an extra energy boost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - maybe. I don't feel I have all that much energy at times really, it's not just being on the go, it's a sort of conversion thing into a positive outcome of some kind. . . . like your walks are not just a walk, they produce other positive outcomes as well as the physical.
      I think I need to think it through more carefully.
      And many congratulations, Nana - such lovely news.
      xx

      Delete