Monday 1 January 2024

Cruise day 11

Morning, everyone!  It's New Year's Eve and I have a muggy head from last nights lateness and, perhaps, a bit from that last drink.  Nothing that a coffee or two won't solve though.

As I think most of us do, I've been pondering on this last year with all its adventures and challenges and also looking ahead a little bit.  I won't be posting about it all, though, until I am home and settled again.  Better late than never.

13:00
We're docked at Alesund, leaving again at about 01:00, after the New Year celebrations and the fireworks.
We (Diane and I) did the organised 'walk a mile' thing this morning rather than on our own earlier and it was really good.  We 'horseshoed' around as the front was extremely windy and every 'lap' we stopped and did a few other exercises.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and am rather inclined to continue this and make it habit once I get home, especially now I have super-warm clothes that have proved themselves in Arctic temperatures and winds.  I have a sort of aim to do at least around 5,000 steps each day and it would surely help with this.
I took some photos which get lighter as sunrise neared.  Just general shots and there seem to be quite a lot - just scroll past if they're too samey!  :-).










After that, Diane went to read and I went to a talk on Norwegian myths and their possible origins.  It was a bit 'dry' but really interesting; I'm glad I went.

I'm currently in my cabin after an early lunch.  Later on, we have a coach tour of Alesund and then it is the New Year's Eve posh do.  We're not going to have all that much time to prepare after the tour so I want to wash my hair now and get my clothes, etc, all ready.
So I had better start, hadn't I?
Back later

8:20, New Year's Day
Didn't get this finished yesterday, sorry.

The trip around Alesund was a bit disappointing really.  Not because there was anything wrong with Alesund, it's a lovely town, made up of three main islands and, after a disastrous fire in 1906, many houses and other buildings were rebuilt in the Art Nouveau style.

However, it was later afternoon so getting rapidly darker and we could see very little, we couldn't go up Mount Aksla because of dodgy roads (no one's fault, but . . . ) and the tour guide wasn't that good - very droney and monotonous and some of us fell asleep - I may or may not have been one of them. 

However, we did stop at one point and were invited to get out and take photos.  Most didn't but, as it was very icy underfoot, I decided to test out the Yaktraxs and they were fantastic!  The snow was like UK snow rather than the lovely Arctic snow, nasty and icy and pretty slippery but I felt completely secure and didn't slip once.  Definitely a win so thank you to everyone who recommended them.

It was a bit of a rush to get dressed for dinner, a posh, seven course meal (if you wanted that much) and absolutely delicious.  At this point I need to apologise for the recent lack of food photos - we've all got so social, I'm talking/listening too much and just forget!

Then it was the entertainment and the New Year party.  Alesund put on a lovely firework display in the harbour for those of us on boats and I managed to catch a few OK photos.  Here you go . . .






It was altogether a fab party with a good old singsong after the countdown and the fireworks and we finally made pout way to our respective cabins at around one.  

Now, I'm a bit tired but feeling far better than I deserve.  There's no organised Mile Walk so we may do our own if the decks are safe.
Today we're cruising along the Norwegian coastline, passing by Hornelen, Norway and Europe's highest sea cliff.  Then we head out into the North Sea so fingers crossed for decent conditions!

There's just time to wish all of us  . . .


Thank you for sticking with me, reading and commenting and generally all being lovely people.  May you realise your dreams in 2024.




13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Joy, I've enjoyed your daily cruise updates and it sounds amazing. Hope the rest of your travels are smooth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved seeing all your photos, Joy, thank you. Pity about the tour guide....I'm sure he must get fed up of saying the same things, but it is his job after all - perhaps he'd enjoy it more if he put in more effort and made it a bit livelier! Or perhaps he was just having an off day. Happy new year to you, and I shall look forward to reading about your plans. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so enjoying the cruise - via your photos - although think I'd prefer a warmer one if ever I was to go!
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck for the North Sea and Happy 2024! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of the fireworks and can’t believe you are at Day 11. I started the new year with some sewing of two new table mats and hope to be more organised about what I sew this year. Catriiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year. I love the pictures you shared.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! The photos of the early morning were lovely. Fireworks watching from the ship sounds like a lot of fun too.
    Fingers crossed, the seas aren't too rough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting faithfully. I have enjoyed your journey. Happy 2024. I am not sure when you are getting home, but I know I will keep reading your blog until you do...thanks for the pictures...as you know (I might have posted this thought), I don't mind missing the food pictures...alas...I enjoy the others tremendously...thank you...thank you for such a nice blog that I continue to read. Prayers for safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet those fireworks were spectacular. Hopefully you'll have a gentle journey homeward. Happy New year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year to you Joy. I have so enjoyed reading about your lovely cruise. You make it sound as though we are there with you. Enjoy your final time on board. Best wishes
    Christine from Halstead x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It looks fantastic! I am cruising to Norway and Iceland next year, so this really interests me. Enjoy all that delicious food. It's great to take advantage of the walking onboard. Glad your clothing and Yaktrax are working. I have those, too. They are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos! I wish I could do a cruise, but just the thought of being on a boat for that amount of time just makes me anxious! The scenery looks fantastic. I'm so glad you're having a good time. Glad you liked the Yaktrax. They are my go-to in the winter. Saved me a bunch of times from falling over!

    ReplyDelete