Sunday 31 December 2023

Cruise day 10

Good morning, everyone.
It's ten past eight a.m. and I'm just back in my cabin after a reasonably brisk mile round the outer deck with Diane.  It seems we were ahead of the health and safety gang because when we opened the door to get back in, there was tape across saying 'deck closed'.  Not when we went out, it wasn't, but, to be fair, the winds only picked up as we did the last bit.  Feeling a bit naughty, we just ducked under the tape and hoped no one saw us!  
That explained why none of the usual first-smoke-of-the-day brigade made an appearance.

Something I forgot to mention in yesterday's offering that went live this morning - I got an email from the Broomfield coach group saying that the trip to see the two showings of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child had enough people and was definitely going ahead (the trip to the Wizarding World was cancelled doe to lack of interest, if you remember) so please would I cough up £££.  Thanks to the wonders of internet banking, it's now all paid and I have something to look forward to.
(I have loads to look forward to, don't get me wrong, but this is a special)

The really good news is that the Northern Lights did come out to play yesterday late evening.  They weren't really dramatic while I was watching, but they were definitely there so I can, in all honesty, say that I have seen the Northern Lights.  The bad news is that my camera wasn't playing ball so I didn't get any shareable photos.  Diane got a few of the early lights - just a green glow, basically - and I hope she can send me a couple.  If so, and with permission, I will share them.  
By midnight, nothing dramatic was happening apart from my fingers, nose and toes beginning to feel as if they were dropping off so I gave up and went to bed.  I daresay we will hear this morning if we missed the show of the decade or not.

Today is a cruising day.  We're having a late breakfast and before then I want to sort out my clothes and get all the laundry away in one of my cases.  It will save a bit of bother next week, for sure.
Also I need a coffee so I'm going to stop waffling now.  Back later.  Have a good day.

17:24
All dressed up and ready for pre dinner drinks.  Here's a few photos from yesterday taken by Steven, our group manager.  They're better than mine (I'm the one in the plum coloured coat).







Earlier in the afternoon, I went to a concert given by Fiona Jessica Wilson (do follow the link for information) and it was sheer unadulterated pleasure for a good three quarters of an hour.  She sang Mozart, Schubert, Strauss, Bizet and Lloyd Webber, among others and I could easily have listened for much longer.  

7:41 (the next day)
Didn't finish this because we were so late to bed.  The evening entertainment was Andrew Robley again.  Just as funny, melodic, sing along and all round entertaining as the last one.  Ten we had a good old chat over a drink, hence the really late night.

I will have some Northern Lights photos - Diane took a few and Steve also had some good ones.
This one is the only one my camera got before going on strike,  You can just see the very beginnings but it is so poor.

Today, New Year's Eve, is our last excursion.  We dock at Alesund at around 11:30, we go out on a coach tour in the afternoon and then it will be a mad rush to be ready for the posh, dress up dinner and evening variety show that will see in the New Year.  And there will be fireworks!

Happy New Year, everyone.  Have a great day.  xx


8 comments:

  1. You really are having a wonderful time, Joy, and I'm so pleased you got to see the Northern Lights. Thank you so much for the gorgeous photos and descriptions, I'll never get to go there so am loving being 'virtually' on this cruise with you. Have a wonderful day and evening, and Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sights and delights at every turn, Joy. You're living the dream. Happy 2024! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if you are taking advantage of everything on offer on your cruise. The best photos of the Northern Lights this month were taken in Wick in the north of Scotland by an on duty police officer who took them on his phone. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we can really say that you are ' living your best life ' it all looks fantastic x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like the most perfect adventure, in brilliant company. All the very best for the New Year ... here's to lots more adventures for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you and Diane are having such a wonderful time on your cruise. So many great memories to treasure. Enjoy your New Year's Eve festivities and D and I wish you a very happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you were able to see some Northern Lights. We don't see them in the city often but I've been fortunate to see them many times as I grew up on the farm.
    The cruise sounds wonderful - I may need to reconsider a cold weather cruise and add it in the future.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you got to see the Northern Lights and are having a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete