Sunday 12 November 2023

Sunday, 12-11-23

 Good morning, everyone.  Welcome to Sunday morning.  It's still dark so no hints about the weather to come yet but yesterday was another truly beautiful day.  Cold, mind you, but inside, with the sun shining through the windows, was cosy.

Yesterday was gentle but nice.

Lindsey's live online SET class was a great start to the day.  The connection dropped at one point but I got straight back in so didn't miss much at all.  SHe should call them Winter Warmers - they really warm the blood and get the circulation going and I ought to access them daily (she has recordings on Facebook)

The newsletter from the Broomfield coach trip organisers came through (it is monthly plus top ups if needed) and I now have a day trip to Canterbury booked for next june or July, I forget which.  It's somewhere I've always wanted to go but never have, packed with history, a Cathedral and so on.  Plenty of time to do some homework, book things if necessary, etc.  You always get more from a visit with a bit of planning, don't you?

During the afternoon, I went into the kitchen to make some quick puff pastry in Thermione.  I used to subscribe to the Delia school of 'life is too short to make your own puff pastry' but it really is easy with a thermomix (or any decent food processor, in fact).
It takes time, like bread, but you're not at it all the time, it's the resting times, and it does make a really nice pastry.
I now have a block of it sitting wrapped in the fridge, I have just taken out the filling for Delia's not-sausage rolls and later on I will put the two together.  I won't need all the pastry so the rest will freeze in small amounts - you don't need a lot to top a pie for one, do you?

This next made me very, very happy - I was trawling through the blogs I follow and comment on and when I read Sooze's, I was so pleased and so glad for her.  After waiting quite a while, she and 'him outside' have been offered a bungalow to move to.  They're going to look at it quickly and my fingers are very firmly crossed that it will be just perfect - or as perfect as it needs to be because, after all, one always wants to put one's own stamp and vibe on a home.  But isn't that brilliant?

Today, Sunday, has a few things on the list.
I am off to Sainsbury's at ten.  That's because I'm running out of non-food items like dishwasher powder, washing up liquid, etc.  I tend to get more than one this this sort of thing so it's not a weekly or even a monthly things but now and again . . .
There's also some foody bits and Sainsbury's has some of the food I want to get so . . .

I will make those not-sausage rolls except that they will be little pasty shaped thingies rather than cylindrical.  And they will go back in the freezer - yes, refreezing the middle, but there's no animal products in it and I will be quick - and I've done it before.  It's not dangerous as meat would be.

In the freezer I found some chopped strawberries (from Lathcoats) intended to make strawberry gin so I will get some gin this morning, add sugar and the strawberries and after several weeks of shaking and standing, Bob's your uncle - a strawberry gin liqueur!

In between times, I'm getting on with yarn stash reduction by making more granny squares.  I can really see a difference not - some of the balls are tiny and will be gone soon.  It keeps my hands busy and warm too and I feel less guilty about sitting 'doing nothing' if I'm working on something.
(I know that doesn't make sense but I know what I mean!)

Goodness, what a load of waffle.  I will stop now and get ready for the day.  Hope yours is as good as I'd like mine to be.  xx



15 comments:

  1. Bless you Joy, what a lovely thing to say, it really touched me, thank you x. I really hope that the bungalow viewing on Tuesday will result in us moving there - it's been a massive shock (we didn't really expect to get anywhere anytime soon, having been told by the Local Authority that it could take a few years) but we're both getting very excited about it. My fingers are firmly crossed that it will all work out. How lovely that you've made puff pastry - I don't think I've done that for many, many years. Have a lovely 'busy hands' day, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how much it means to you both and you've been such a lovely online friend over a number of years. Thank you for that and all the very best for Tuesday. xx

      Delete
    2. Excuse me butting in but I want to say "Good Luck" Sooze for Tuesday, so pleased it seems to be going in the right direction for you.
      Alison in Wales x

      Delete
  2. Strawberry gin something to look forward to, very nice, a Christmas treat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - well, pre Christmas really as I won't be at home for The Days. I'll probably bring it out when we have out family get together. xx

      Delete
  3. I walked to the little Sainsbugs near us yesterday to top up with bread etc and it was very slippy underfoot. Today is glorious but freezing cold so I am trying to finish m makes for the Fair and then get on with putting on price tags. Happy Sunday. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slippery doesn't sound good - go carefully and enjoy your Fair preparations. xx

      Delete
  4. Strawberry gin sounds nice. I often think about making liqueur but forget about it until someone mentions it. Your not-sausage rolls sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to remember to post links to the recipes tomorrow. The Delia bot-sausage rolls are so very delicious. We have them every year since Beth was about ten. There's a little story, of course. xx

      Delete
  5. Strawberry Gin, how very lovely that sounds.
    We have a rainy Sunday here so won't be doing very much at all, but strictly results show to look forward to x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous, ALison. You can make it with all kinds of soft fruits and it's so good with tonic or prosecco. xx

      Delete
  6. That's great news for Sooze!
    Your food making sounds excellent-thinking about the Not-sausage rolls has made me hungry! I don't really like Gin but I DO like strawberry-flavoured drinks so I would probably try this if I saw it somewhere! I hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does still taste of gin but very fruity too. If you like strawberries, I think you'd like that.
      It's brilliant news, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  7. Yum, strawberry gin! Canterbury sounds like a great place to visit. I haven't ever been there, but it's somewhere I wouldn't mind visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not been too Canterbury yet but I am just finishing Canterbury Tales. Maybe a visit to the city should be on my travel list!

    ReplyDelete