Friday 10 November 2023

Friday, 10-11-23

Morning, one and all.  It's pretty early so no idea what it's like outside.  However, according to the BBC, it's going to be another quite pleasant day.  Not that warm but plenty of sunshine.  It sounds good to me.

Well, guess what.  I went into town yesterday.  Yes - again!  However, there was a very good reason; Specsavers' audiologist got in touch with me about replacing the damaged bit of my hearing aids so I popped in and now not only is it repaired, I know what to do next time.  Many thanks to Jo who patiently showed me and answered my questions.  She also said it is time for another hearing test so I must get that booked.
Yes, I popped into a few shops on the way back to the bus but I didn't succumb to everything.  However, I did splash out on the Body Shop smallest Advent Calendar because it is very supportive of less fortunate societies around the world and also I like Body Shop products but hardly ever buy any so it feels like a real treat.  It gives me something to talk about during Blogmas, to go with the traditional Christmas music.

And just as I got to the bus stop to come home, along came my bus.  Perfect.

Three days in a row and just think of the savings in petrol and parking (says the girl who just bought a totally unnecessary Advent calendar!!).  OK, it took more time but I am pretty time rich nowadays and it's much more relaxing than driving.

When I got home, there was an email from Jacquie Lawson so now I have this year's Advent Calendar on my desktop.
Most people know about these lovely, online, interactive calendars and, for what you get, they are great value.  I'm still doing the daily anagram and pairs game from last year's one although I gather you can set it to run again this which I might do nearer to the start of Advent - just because . . .
I've taken the tour of the new one, done the intro (such lovely Christmas music) and decorated the Christmas Tree.  It doesn't start properly until Dec 1st although one could cheat by changing the date on ones PC but no, that's not right, is it?

But we're a third of the way through November now and I'm starting to feel little festive tingles of excitement up and down my spine.  Lovely!

I've done a bit more sorting out.  Socks and 'smalls'.  Goodness, I had some old stuff at the bottom!  I'm glad that's sorted!

Today is Slimming World but, apart from that, there's nothing else in the diary.  That's nice.  No, I won't be going into town - I think town has seen enough of me this week.  Instead, I will do some meal planning and make a shopping list - hoping it will be a short one.  I might make some puff pastry - and before anyone thinks 'oooooohhhhhh-er', Thermione makes a very easy job of it which requires very little effort on my part.  I suppose it's really what used to be called 'rough puff pastry' and it is very nice indeed, perfect for the Delia not-sausage- roll thingies I make every December and which the family devours!  I can't skip making them, whatever else don't do this year.

And, finally, I am going to sort out some more cupboards, downstairs this time.  There's stuff in there I haven't used for a very long time so - maybe time to go?  It also gives me the chance to make notes on what can go out into the new storage.

I seem to have written a lot about nothing very much.  Thank you for sticking with it to this point., have a lovely day and I hope the sun shines on you.  xx



20 comments:

  1. Have fun with the sorting. Fine weather for you garden room building will be useful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be, Sue. I have plans to make it a really useful space. And a good sort-out never went amiss anyway. I'm quite looking forward to it. xx

      Delete
  2. Sorting out can be fun and very therapeutic. The trouble is that I'm not very good at it, not helped by a husband who keeps everything 'just in case'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, I can't even blame a husband, I'm like that all by myself which is why I keep accumulating clutter. xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my final blog post, it was nice to see and so many others there.

    Yep, I too have already bought the Jacquie Lawson Advent calendar for this year, although I've not set up my Christmas tree or lit any of the decorations yet. I may have a play another day. Sadly it doesn't seem to have the 'normal' Patience card game on the new one ... or am I just missing it ... thank goodness last years calendar is safely on my computer, it's the one thing that I play while I am waiting for business things to load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually does - perhaps it is behind one of the baubles instead of in the house.

      I meant what I said - I'm going to really miss your blogs but I am totally sure you've made the right decision. I hope that if/when my turn comes, I will be as brave.
      xx

      Delete
  4. How's the sorting coming along. I'm still working my way through mountains of stuff but getting there slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m sewing for charity at the moment but taking a chance to declutter fabric that I am never going to use to the charity where I volunteer. Think I’ve already said that my advent calendar is a 1000 piece jigsaw split into 24 days. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OIh - lovely. Is the picture festive in nature? What a great idea. xx

      Delete
    2. It is-and it’s slightly quaint.

      Delete
  6. I'll look forward to seeing your bodyshop advent calendar. Christmas is hurtling towards us at a rate of knots it seems, and apart from a fruit cake hidden in a tin I'm totally unprepared at the moment!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get there, we all will in our own way.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I love Advent calendars, but they aren't really a big thing for adults here in Canada, or at least where I live. Perhaps next year I will make my own....What to put in it though?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've only become a thing for adults fairly recently and you can spend an absolute fortune on them. I read somewhere that the Swarovski one costs over £1000! Maybe that's incorrect thought because who in their right mind is going to spend that much on something like that?
      You could collect little things (hand cream, nice pen, nice notebook, little sewing kit, fridge magnet, for example) over the first six months, wrap them and put them away so you forget some of them and don't know which is which anyway. You could put them all in a nice, festive 'lucky dip' bag and pull one out each day. xx

      Delete
  8. I've always found Specsavers to be brilliant for service, both optical and audiology. Very helpful staff. Hope you managed your sorting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, both in the eye department and in the hearing department. Very pleasant people and good service. xx

      Delete
  9. Well done on the sorting! I did some sorting yesterday (as part of my Winter/Summer clothes swapover) and I was glad to have done it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good. It's also nice to rediscover what you have and liked wearing last winter, I think. xx

      Delete