Thursday 29 June 2023

Thursday, 29-06-23

 Good morning, everyone.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  We have had rain at last and the garden is uttering deep and heartfelt sighs of relief.  I have the French window open to allow all that clean, coolness into the house and it is so lovely!  Just a great relief.
And I haven't sneezed once this morning!
(yet)

Yesterday was a funny old day in parts.  

I got the front sorted out and also attacked some impertinent weeds that were sneaking up on the courgette bed in the back garden.  I talked nicely to the cucumbers and tomatoes and did a bit of side shooting and tying up.  Thanks to the patio clean that Hire-a-Hubby-Ray did last month, there have been no weeds around the back paving but I'm keeping an eye open now we have had some rain.

Then I came in and prepped for a couple of things, one of which was for a Governor's monitoring visit this morning.  I looked at the key objectives in the School Improvement Plan, noted the 'success criteria' and made a few notes, printing off or getting out what I needed.  A governor's visit can be a little disruptive (although we are always made very welcome) and I like to be well prepared.
And then, after school, I had an email from the SENDCo asking would I mind not coming as something urgent and immediate had come up.  Obviously, no details whatsoever in here but it was totally valid and we can reschedule, if necessary.
The prep won't be wasted anyway.

I had arranged with Chris for coffee this afternoon instead of morning so I popped over to consult and we decided it would be nice to go to Lathcoats first thing, do a bit of picking and have coffee in the Bee Shed there.  I know I went on Monday but I'm always up for a few more strawberries and raspberries!  I mean - who isn't?
But it's rained and strawberries are never as nice after rain.  Also, even if PYO is open (it usually isn't in the rain), it will be a very soggy experience.
So it is probably coffee and chat at ten as usual.  There's always next week.  And probably the week after too.

Instead of a busy day, I have a 'same as usual' day now: the usual homey stuff, getting the house cleaner-ready, a bit of cooking, a bit of meal planning - all the usual, happy, familiar, comforting homey things.  And I need to finish watching Sewing Bee - I fell asleep during the Pattern challenge so took myself to bed!  

It is still raining, the clouds are still very low and I am like 'Bring it on, keep going, don't give up yet,' because this rain is so, so needed after weeks of dryness.  It just feels so mentally and physically refreshing at the moment.
And, still, no sneezing.  Yay!

Have you had any rain?  xx

14 comments:

  1. Nice rain here too - I was going to raid BiL's strawbs again but fruit picking among wet leaves is not good.
    Have a good day - forecast here is for fine this afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, isn't it - and I agree about the picking. It's supposed to clear up here late afternoon - but it keeps changing so who knows!
      Thanks, you too. xx

      Delete
  2. Trying again to comment . . . Your garden looks so inviting. We had rain from 2:00 to 7:00 and there's now a watery sun shining bravely through grey clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stopped raining here (at about 11:45) and it is certainly lighter. There might be more to come though - the clouds are still quite thick.
      And thank you, that's very kind.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Isn't it wonderful when that nice cooling rain comes, and no need to go out and water everywhere. It's all looking very neat and fresh in your garden after it's shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, yes. The sun is out now (Friday) but it's still fresh and cool. I love mornings like this. xx

      Delete
  4. Your garden is very pretty - we had some of the wet stuff yesterday and more forecast tomorrow so I'm enjoying the sunshine today :-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely. The sun is shining now and the garden looks really lovely and fresh after its drink and bath! I'm hoping it is nice tomorrow but we will see. xx

      Delete
  5. Your back garden is stunning and love your chair in the corner. It looks like a peaceful garden with lots to look at. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catriona. I've never really thought of my garden as 'peaceful' but Diane said something similar last week so maybe it is. I think that's so lovely, thank you. xx

      Delete
  6. We have had a lot of rain here this last week, but it has been warm and sunny today.
    Your garden looks lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cleared up by the afternoon and out came the sun. That was nice and the plants looked much refreshed but we could do with more, I think. Just not today (Friday) - or tomorrow.. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Such a gorgeous garden. The perfect place to sit with a mug or cup of tea or coffee and visit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose one always sees all the issues first when it is ones own garden. I think I must start developing a different approach! :-)
      Thanks so much.
      xx

      Delete