Sunday 18 June 2023

Sunday, 18-06-18

 

Pretty in pink.

Good morning, one and all.  I've woken up to rain!  Not an awful lot yet, judging by the ground, but the forecast is for more rain, some sunshine, some thundery showers - a right mixture, in fact.  To be honest, while it's a nuisance because now I wish I had done a load of washing yesterday, some more regular showers, not too heavy so the rain can soak in, would be so good for the garden, so I'm definitely not complaining and a bit of storming is always dramatic.
It was a nice, cool night too, down to around 8C, according to my garden thermometer.

I was well chuffed yesterday.  I got my electricity bill from the company which covered the first full month of solar power usage.  It was just shy of £100 LESS than they wanted to take from me via direct debit each month.  Of course, my bills will be variable depending on usage and light intensity and winter months, the days being shorter, will be more expensive  but even so - happy me!

It was a good start to a really lovely day.  SET online was fun and also made a great start to the day.  I'd already started some bread dough off (in Thermione - so much easier) to make some bread rolls) so after SET, I knocked it back, shaped the rolls, etc, etc, etc.  They came out really nicely and I think I'll be continuing this when I need to.  The recipe made thirteen, one of which vanished pretty quickly;  well, you have to make sure they are up to standard, don't you?

Mid afternoon, I set off for the church hall and the Sharon Blackman workshop.


Each of us had a pack with what we needed to get started and a full set of instructions for a picture.

On each table were scissors, black and white thread, pins and needles.

Then, at the front, there was a wide selection of fabric scraps, some finished examples and . . .


. . . lots of different coloured threads, extra pins, etc.


The instructions were really good and clear and Sharon was on hand to explain when necessary.



This was probably the tidiest my space was all afternoon!



It was very absorbing and took way longer than I thought it would with plenty of careful positioning and hand sewing using overstitch or running stitch.
This is as far as I got - a view through a window onto the sea with a curtain fluttering in the foreground (because it's not that obvious, is it!).
I now know how she starts off her pictures which is a great help. 



There were cakes, biscuits, tea and coffee as well plus background music.  It was all very pleasant and down to earth, I had a great time and I think that for £12, it was jolly good value.




I came home with enough scraps to complete the picture - a boat or lighthouse on the horizon and a vase of flowers in the foreground.  But it does need a good old iron to flatten it out first!

Suze was there too and it was great to meet her - she is a very lovely lady.  She's also very talented and showed me some photos of other things she has made - very clever and very impressive.   Thanks, Suze, I'm so glad we have been able to meet up.  Here's to the next one!

I'm very much hoping Sharon will run another workshop nearer to Christmas where she focuses on Christmas creations.  That would be so good.

Today is Father's Day so, for many of us, it is a day for remembering.  I miss both my parents terribly, which is perfectly natural, but I am so very glad that my memories are good ones and any regrets (there always are some regrets) are small and insignificant.  I was so fortunate to have them for so long and can celebrate all those happy memories and good and loving times.

I have a load of washing to do, rain or shine, and I would like to get on with my picture too so today should be very pleasant.

Thinking of everyone who is marking today with memories.  Much love to you all.  xx


12 comments:

  1. The rain overnight was a godsend for the garden, already my lawn looks so much greener if that's possible.

    Thank you Joy for your kind words! I was thrilled to meet you too - we chatted, sewed and bounced ideas all afternoon as though we'd known each other for years!
    Sharon's workshop was inspiring - I now need to decide the view from my window.
    I too look forward to a Christmas workshop, in the hope of sharing another afternoon sewing and chatting with the fabulous Joy. Thank you.

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole garden just looks as if it has been able to take a deep breath at last, doesn;'t it - fresher and happier.

      It was a fab afternoon, wasn't it? Thank you for coming and for your kind words too. I'm so glad we got on like a house on fire, as the saying goes. It was so good. xx

      Delete
  2. The workshop sounds wonderful, and incredibly therapeutic. It must have been lovely to meet up with Suze while you were there, and to share the experience.
    I can't wait to see your finished creation. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was therapeutic - that's a great way to put it - and meeting Suze was the cheery on the cake, so to speak. A really good afternoon. xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a lovely afternoon and quite inspirational x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and I am so glad I went. Thanks, Janice. xx

      Delete
  4. How lovely it all sounds and definitely good value. Thank you for sharing, I'll look forward to seeing your completed picture.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a bit more to it today but it's slow progress. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I thought it was a curtain at a window before I read your comment. How lovely to be able to do things like that and also meet up with a blogger too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really lovely. It was most enjoyable. Thanks, Marjorie! xx

      Delete
  6. That craft session sounds like it was great fun. We too have had some rain at last. I'm sure my garden sighed with relief

    ReplyDelete