Sunday 25 June 2023

Sunday, 25-06-23

 Good morning, everyone!  The sun is shining brightly again and, at the moment, it feels lovely and fresh.  I'm making the most of it before it heats up and gets sticky and humid - Beeb says it could hit 31C later on.


I thought I'd post a little clip of the tomatoes on one side of the garden, ending up with courgette number two - I'll do the other side later on when I'm not casting a shadow over them as I film.  Please excuse any heavy breathing - the hay fever has been really bad these last few days.  One of these days, I might be brave enough to speak.
Some of the plants are ready to feed - two trusses setting is what the label says - while some have a little further to go.  I'll get that done shortly and then give them all an early morning drink to help them through the day.

I got the Delia veggie mini pasties made yesterday and into the freezer.  They can be baked from frozen next Saturday.  I'll leave the scones for later in the week and I'm hoping I can go strawberry picking again tomorrow to make the jam.
I do what my mum always did to check the filling is right for seasoning - just take a little blob of it and fry it before tasting.  It tasted so good; it really is worth taking the effort to bake the bread you use and, providing you have the time, it's no trouble making a loaf of bread.

I now have a long list of breakfasts, lunches and dinners from the Pinch of Nom books so now I have to make a sort of plan.  It is likely to involve getting a few things in although I will try to avoid doing that too much.

Unfortunately, after quite a rough night (heat and hay fever - bleugh!!), I'm feeling fragile.  I'm going to take today very easy and try to catch up on sleep and on telly stuff that has recorded.

Take care, everyone, and have a lovely Sunday.  xx

18 comments:

  1. Odd isn't it Joy - my hayfever is normally in early Spring (tree pollen) and I'm fine after that, but this year it's been troublesome all along. I had a rough night too, it was far too humid for comfortable sleep. Hope you can have a nap and catch up today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's not been this bad for ages and I hoped I was growing out of it. Everyone says this year seems worse.
      Ditto to you. Take it easy and rest up as much as you are able. xx

      Delete
  2. It was the stickiest night so far I think - still not as bad as last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - last year was something else entirely. It's so nice to have the sunshine though, isn't it? Have a lovely day. xx

      Delete
  3. Somebody loves her tomatoes ....all looks fabulously healthy. I once went to the tomato festival at Westdean Gardens north of Chichester and their advice was never water in the evening but at around 3 in the afternoon as wet leaves overnight cause blight. As I don't grow tomatoes I can't confirm whether they are right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my understanding too, not that I always follow it. Yes, I do love my tomatoes. :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely tomatoes - well done.
    We have fans and sit with them playing on us. We also have a fan in the bedroom and it really helps. They are silent so don't disturb us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - once the hearing aids are out, I hear nothing anyway. I love my bedroom fan! xx

      Delete
  5. Which variety of tomatoes are you growing Joy. My black Russian is full of flowers and I'm hoping for a good crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post the list in tomorrow's blog, Cherie. I've just looked up Black Russian.
      They look and sound fantastic. xx

      Delete
  6. I hope you have a restful day, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belinda. It's going well so far. xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely to catch up on all your activities. Those veggie pasties sound great - are they fiddly? I'm not very patient!

    I'm growing some Indigo Pear toms this year - so far so good, they are just starting to ripen.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they're really not. I suppose, to be fair, I have a little pasty press gizmo thingy that helps, but I've never found them tricky. Doing a batch and freezing them pre-baking works really well.
      Mine seem a long way from ripening yet - very exciting for you. xx

      Delete
  8. I see what you mean ... yes, you have plenty of tomatoes!

    My hay-fever is worse this year if that's any consolation. I hope you manage to catch up on some sleep today. Have you watched this week's episode of Sewing Bee yet? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes!!!
      I sympathise. It can be really draining, can't it?
      Yes, I've seen it. I'm not sure I agreed with Sewer of the Week this week.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing the video. It looks like you'll get quite the harvest!
    Sorry you aren't feeling too good. I find the heat really does drain you. I try to get things done in the morning so I don't have to move around too much in the heat. It can make me feel quite sick sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It doesn't usually have a negative effect, just occasionally. I'm sure I will be 100% again tomorrow. Are you OK? xx

      Delete