Saturday 3 June 2023

Saturday, 03-06-23

 Good morning, everyone.  It's another dull start but the forecast is for a really lovely day so I'm up for that!  

First of all, thank you so much for your helpful advice regarding this Christmas cruise thingy.  I'm still pondering!

Regarding saving for it - I've always put a certain amount of my income into savings, just a general savings account with immediate access if needed.  It's generic savings for anything that comes up as well as for longer term, not specifically for this, that or the other so if, for example, the washing machine died, I could replace it straight away without needing to borrow.  I think this is a common way of doing it for those of us fortunate enough to be in a position of being able to do so and the fact that I do is down to my Dad's wise advice when I was newly divorced and having to deal with financial things as a solo person.  It has enabled me to be totally debt free which makes me feel secure.

It's a bit different now, what with inheritance, etc, but I still have the general savings account and that's not changing but I am going to do some separate accounting so I know that a certain amount is specifically to pay for holidays.  It feels a bit odd in a way but it also feels 'right'.  So, for a while, the monthly savings, any Premium Bonds wins (they come up fairly frequently but small amounts, usually)  and any end of the month money (there is some, occasionally) will be counted as holiday fund.  I'll see how that works and I've started a separate Excel thingy to keep tabs on it.

What some of you said about not knowing what the future holds really hit home.  I'm lucky enough to feel much younger and fitter than many my age but there's no getting away from the fact that I'm in my seventies (how did that happen, eh?) and, at my age now, my paternal grandfather had passed away, both my in-laws too and their son, my ex, has long been gone.  You are right, we don't know and, while I am extremely happy with my life, when opportunities come along, maybe they are to be grasped with both hands as much as ever I can.

Because, without being negative, there's a lot more time behind me than there is ahead of me now, isn't there?

I'm not just talking posh cruises, I'm also talking about folk art courses, fitness classes, Center Parcs, walks with friends in the park, solar panels, fillet steak, lunch with family, and all the as yet unknown things that are bound to come this way . . . there's so much lovely stuff out there to appreciate and experience.

Goodness, what a heavy way to start a weekend blog post!  Let's get back to normal!

Yesterday was lovely and sunny and, as I was desperately tied after my poor night, I just took things easy and rested up.  I did go to Slimming World where we had a hilarious discussion about kiwis (the fruit, not the people) and constipation, as one of the ladies had that latter!  Among the laughter, some very helpful things were said, so it was informative as well as entertaining.

The cleaners came, bless them, worked their magic and left again and I snoozed on and off.  I had a great night's sleep too, although some of that might have been the wine!!

Today there is just one thing in the diary and that's our occasional walk from Tower Gardens to the coffee shop, round the 'lake' and back again.  We haven't had one for ages and I missed the last one because I was at Potters so I'm really looking forward to it.

Then, as it is supposed to be such a lovely day, I think I will get my washing all done.  Not bedding, I did that a few days ago, but there's quite a pile of darks to do and some whites as well.
I can do some meal planning too and - eeek - think about the decision I need to make.

Do you have anything special planned for this weekend or are you chilling like me! 
Stay safe and happy and, again, thanks for the support!  xx


20 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. I am sure if you enjoy Center Parcs and Potters you will enjoy a cruise. I agree with Hazel's post from yesterday. My late Mum had to go I to a nursing home and my sister and I had to sell her house after her savings were used to pay for her care, she had very little left after she died. I have been lucky and been on many cruises with various companies including a fun 3 night cruise with my eldest granddaughter when her friend dropped out at the last minute. You can do as much of as little as you fancy. My husband always enjoys the gym onboard. I had a knee replacement on Wednesday and I'm still feeling tired so a chilled weekend for me. Just me and the little dog till this afternoon as my husband is volunteering at the local County Show, I encouraged him to still go as I can reach the toilet easily with crutches. Hopefully I will be more mobile soon.
    Hope you enjoy the weekend. The sun is out here in Somerset. Enjoy every experience while you are still fit and healthy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, Heather. Leaving not very much to my children is a bit of a fear but, thanks to the generosity and good management of my parents, that fear is now much less. I mean, you never know really but . . .

      It sounds as if your operation has gone really well. That's great. I'm sure mobility will increase quickly and things will be much easier than before. Have a great day with your little dog. xx

      Delete
  2. Carpe diem - seize the day! I didn't 'do' Latin but I collect Latin phrases;-)
    Time passes quickly and you can't have the happy memories if you haven't had the enjoyable experiences. Have a lovely weekend! Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lovely mum is 76 tomorrow and she's currently on her first solo holiday in Jersey! She spent so many years being my dad's carer she's now out and about doing so many things because she says she can. I think if you're fit and healthy go for whatever gives you pleasure. My family doesn't believe in inherited wealth mainly because the government takes more than it's fair share so we're encouraging her to use all her money to have fun! Go have fun Joy!! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so glad your Mum is being adventurous. Hoping she has a great time. xx

      Delete
  4. Grab every opportunity while you can is what I say! When I look back I have crammed in so much and have many wonderful memories to cherish. There is nothing planned for this weekend so I shall take each day as it comes enjoying the garden, my home and some knitting. Have a relaxing weekend yourself.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's, Suze. Great advice.
      By the way, I haven't heard from Victoria so if you'd like to use my blog specific email, please do.
      I hope you are enjoying your weekend. xx

      Delete
  5. I missed yesterday's post but like everybody else said: Do it, seize the opportunity and enjoy while you're fit and healthy. I don't have a bucket list but Northern Lights would be at the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very lucky to have travelled the world over the years but the only place/thing I would like to do (if I can) is the Northern Lights!

      Delete
    2. lol - I don't stand a chance, do I? I agree re the Northern Lights - they look amazing on the telly. xx

      Delete
  6. I was able to finish my laundry yesterday and put it all away. I’m at the age where more of my life is behind me too, which is sad to think about really. So, we won’t think about it. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of sad, I agree. I guess all the more reason for living your best life. xx

      Delete
  7. It's been beautifully sunny and warm this morning since first light, what a wonderful way to start the weekend. It sounds like you are really sensible with your money so I'm sure whatever plans you make will be well thought through and suit you perfectly. Hope you have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous here too and the walk this morning was lovely and sunny too. It's been a good day so far. xx

      Delete
  8. I don't think your post was too heavy - it's good to brain storm these things with others . On the subject of wills, I must have a gene missing or something because I definitely don't prioritise leaving money to offspring, they are doing well for themselves and would get proceeds from any house sale.......... ooh dear I do sound rather selfish!! I suppose it's that Live for Today thing : )
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think you do sound selfish. I guess, for me, I have benefitted hugely from Mum and Dad's 'estate' and there's a 'pass it on' sort of thinking here. xx

      Delete
  9. Your post was so true. Things can change in the blink of an eye. Husband and I were discussing his retirement and the age we should plan and whether we would have enough money. I'm thinking you never know what's around the corner though. My BIL recently was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. He hasn't even reached retirement age. I don't think they'd even thought about it. A Vlogger I watch on Youtube lost her husband (not retired either) after just a 3 week battle with cancer.

    I think you do have to balance, but life is short. I received some money from Mum's house sale but I know that I'd rather she had a few more years to spend it on herself! I also know that she did things that she wanted, despite being frugal, and updated her flat as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. The last few years have been extremely tough for you and yours, I know. I appreciate you sharing this with me. ((( hugs ))). xx

      Delete
  10. I've told my kids that I intend to spend their inheritance. I'll have all the treats and holidays that they'd spend it on. ☺

    ReplyDelete