Saturday 24 June 2023

Saturday, 24-06-23

 Good morning, everyone.  My goodness, it is a sneezy start to the day.  It's been a very pollen-y year so far but, for me, it should all settle down again soon, certainly by the end of July!  (fingers crossed)
The sun's shining though, and it's a lovely start to the day.

This is sad.  See near the bottom of the stem - snapped right across and hanging on just by a thread.  If I had noticed when I did it (I must have been too forceful when I was tying it up to the cane), I would have tried for a repair of some kind, but I didn't notice until the evening when it was wilting.
There's three good trusses below so it isn't a disaster but it's sad, all the same.

It happens!!









I'm not sure I have mentioned yet, but the girls (Beth, Linda and Julia) and I are planning an afternoon tea next Saturday and I said I'd make the scones and jam.  They asked would I also make some of those lovely Delia not-sausage rolls and that's what I am doing today, up to the 'ready to bake' stage when they will go into the freezer.

I thought I'd make the pastry as I have a good recipe on Thermione that works a treat so I went into the freezer to find butter and found that I do actually have a roll of puff pastry so three cheers.
I made a small white loaf yesterday as it calls for quite a lot of fresh breadcrumbs and bread is so quick (comparatively) at the moment, with the warm weather.  Anyway, I like making bread so much more than buying bread in Morrisons or wherever!
So, after SET, I will be constructing some not-sausage rolls - or mini pasties as it keeps all the filling in if I make pasties.

So, first of all it is SET online, then freshen up and then it's into the kitchen for a bit of fun.  After that, it's the usual.  Nice and gentle.

Do you have any special plans for the weekend?
xx


14 comments:

  1. Shame about the tomato plant. I know with carnations you can remove the side shoots, put them in water and they'll root. Are tomato plants the same I wonder - when you remove the side shoots, will they root? A test we could have tried in my class garden. (Not that you need any more tomato plants but hey ho!)

    No plans for the weekend except enjoying the weather and finishing the cardi!

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can but I don't really need another plant. I'm hoping that it will send up a side shoot just under the cut which could act as a main stem but, if not, bo problem - there's already three trusses with plenty of flowers, especially the bottom two.
      Good luck with the cardi - it's a bit warm for knitting, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. It's very warm here already (9:00 a.m.) so it will be an indoor day, keeping the dogs cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard life with a compulsory fur coat, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  3. I've just been enjoying a quick catch up following a week of a malfunctioning cat and Lily with some sort of virus.
    I absolutely love the folk art, and both Suze's and yours slightly different takes on the same image. Any wonkiness only adds to their charm.
    What a shame about the tomato plant. I've done the same myself before. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Lily and poor cat. I hope they get loads better quickly! And thank you.

      Yes, poor tomato. Too easily done, I suspect. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, that is sad about the tomato plant. 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, fingers crossed. Below the break it seems quite happy anyway. :-) xx

      Delete
  5. Well done on the maintain this week. I'm doing much the same as you today, preparing a couple of dishes for a bring and share meal next week, so I've had a fun morning in the kitchen. I've pottered in the garden and am now settled on the sofa to read ... and probably enjoy a nap or two.

    It's a shame about your tomato plant ... will you replace it, or are you happy that you have enough? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've killed it, just put paid to any more growth. The two (not three) trusses that remain under the break should fruit as usual. Luckily it is one of two types that I have two plants of (the honeycomb) and the other one's good. I have loads though, Eileen, I won't go short, that's a face. Nor will friends and neighbours. lol
      xx

      Delete
  6. That's a pity about the 🍅 plant. Afternoon tea sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be lovely; so good to catch up with the girls. xx

      Delete
  7. What fun afternoon tea will be!
    Ag hay fever. The pollen is really bad here right now. When we were out walking on holiday we stopped to sit down and the pollen was really thick on the bench! You could have written your name in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troublesome stuff, eh! I feel for those with year round allergies. xx

      Delete