Sunday 11 June 2023

Sunday, 11-06-23

 Good morning, one and all.  it's Sunday yet again, first or last day of the week, depending on your point of view.  It was such a gorgeous day yesterday.  The sun shone brightly, it went up to 29C around here and my fingers and toes felt comfortably warm all day!   However, it didn't feel in the least bit humid to me.  It's going to be another beauty today by the looks of things.  Excellent!

SET yesterday was the normal, energetic half an hour.  I don't usually do the last section as it's mat work and I tend to get giddy and a bit sicky feeling after a short time.
Ah hour later, I set off for Writtle to meet up with the group and we had a splendid walk around, mostly where I went earlier in the week but also through Writtle University Collage, formerly Writtle Agricultural College, a  a leading provider of land-based, animal, environmental, design and sport education.  All very pleasant with plenty of shade.
On the way back, we stopped off at Writtle Tea Rooms for a very delicious Americano/cuppa.  It was lovely!


While on the walk,I took a special look at this house again (photo taken earlier in the week) because I couldn't remember its name.  Aubyn's, that's what it's called.

Here's a link to a newspaper cutting, I don't know from 2010, I think, which gives some info about Aubyn's which is grade 1 listed.

http://www.pascott.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/aubyns-essex-chron.pdf

The afternoon was such a contrast and I did have a couple of snoozes.  What I didn't do was make that loaf so that's top of the list for today.

I did something I have been meaning to do for weeks.  I've changed the boiler setting to heat water for just once a day, early morning, instead of morning and evening.  The reasoning is that I always bath first thing but have stopped doing things like washing clothes on the cheaper rate because of the free electricity during the day so really don't need another load of hot water later on.
I can always change it back if I find I miss hot water in the evening but I bet I won't.

Little courgie now has a sibling.  So that's 50% germination.

There's only room for one so I will give the new arrival a week to get going and then pop it into a spare large pot I have and see if it thrives.

The same for baby tomato!  It's a tumbling tiger tom so will fruit early and fairly short lived so should be covered with babies in a couple of weeks, I expect.



And, last photo, yesterday's strawberries.  They were lovely!








Today, apart from making that loaf, the diary is clear.  I will attack the weeds again and my little patch of grass needs a bit of a haircut but most of all I am well into my new Marion Todd book 'A Blind Eye', which is proving to be another gripping story.  Egg chair, garden and Kindle sounds just perfect, doesn't it?

I hope you have a lovely Sunday too, however you plan to spend it.  xx

8 comments:

  1. You seem to have plenty of pretty villages nearby. Our village is definitely not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writtle is definitely a lovely place. Very Essex, but attractive. Actually, thinking about it, yes, there are some very attractive villages in the East of England. xx

      Delete
  2. Those strawberries look delicious!

    I think your temps were warmer than ours yesterday. My sister teased me by showing a lovely photo of their visit to Brightlingsea and her Fish and Chips and Ice Cream that she had. I was well jealous ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty hot - over 30C. No cold fingers or toes yesterday!! Fish and chips and then ice cream sounds wonderful. xx

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading about the restoration of the Tudor house. Envy your strawberries - it's a week or so before ours are ready to pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine are early - Streele Farm won't be opening PYO for a fortnight or so, they think.
      Aubyn's is lovely. It's privately owned so not open to the public but there's a road along the side that leads to the Church and there's some fascinating features side and back too.
      xx

      Delete
  4. That does sound perfect. Your garden is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, thanks, Stephanie. I think it is human nature to prefer what we do not have at times and while I would like a greener, more natural garden, I am absolutely sure I wouldn't like the work it entails so this one works for me and my life.
      Your garden is gorgeous.
      xx

      Delete