Tuesday 20 June 2023

Tuesday, 20-06-23

 Morning, everyone.  After another beautiful summer day yesterday, it looks more than a little uncertain today.  The sun is struggling to break through right now but the forecast is for thundery showers and a moderate breeze as well as some sunshine.  We will see.

Annoyingly, the pollen count is up again and my eyes are prickling.  I've taken my allergy meds so they should settle again soon.

Thanks to everyone for your advice yesterday.  I have decided to go with buttons but yesterday I worked on the leaves and was quite pleased with how they went.  I also outlined the lighthouse and did a few birds in the sky (after I had taken the photo.
Memories are coming back about the course I did at Hyde Hall a while ago now.  That was applique too but I remember one drew the pattern on iron-on interfacing and then ironed that to the fabric before cutting out and so on.  It sort of helped with the shaping.

Ironing it definitely helps with the wonkiness!  It is still wonky, but quirky wonky.  That's OK.

Anyway, just a little bit to do now and, while it looks very different to Sharon's work, the whole process has been very satisfying.  We were given an alternative which was a landscape and I might do that if I can find the right fabrics.


First thing in the morning yesterday, I drove over to Lathcoats for my first strawberry picking session of this year.


What a gorgeous sight met my eyes as I walked onto the field.  Rows and rows and rows of beautiful fruit, all at chest level (so no need to bend or crouch to pick) and that green webbing is new this year and keeps most of the berries up and over, as Eddie Waring used to say (remember him, anyone?).
In no time at all, I had picked as much as I could realistically use in this coming week so I went to pay and then went to the shop where I picked up a few things needed - eggs, a bit of salad veg, some apples and a treat - a jar of 'nice' pickled baby beets - I know how to spend dangerously, don't I!!
I was sorely tempted by some good stuff in the freezers but resisted nobly!

The raspberries weren't ready - when I asked, he said perhaps next week but it depended on the weather which is fair enough.  Driving over will be a regular thing for a while to come, I think, what with the strawberries and raspberries, the plums which were lovely last year - and so on.
Oh, it's a hard life!!   :-)

Once home, with everything sorted out and put away, it was breakfast and then off to circuits.  There were only two of us this week but it was still really good and I felt great afterwards.

For the rest of the afternoon, after I had done a few things on my list, I focused on the sewing and had a really good time.

On to today and the first thing is Groove class which I always enjoy very much.  Then, I'd had a tentative arrangement for a friend to come over for coffee but that's fallen through temporarily so I think I will get the picture finished and then I might go for a walk if the weather permits.  If it doesn't, there's plenty of sorting out and tidying up to do and I really must get on with my menu planning for the next week or so.  I'm not short of things to do, believe me!

Well, the sun seems to have temporarily lost the battle and it's getting more gloomy so I guess rain is in the offing.  Good for the plants, for sure.
Have a great day, everyone, whatever the weather , and stay cool!  xx







16 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, your picture is looking lovely. I planned a couple of small buttons in my design but when I came to sew them on I had run out of space deciding 'less is more'. I have emailed you my finished picture.

    Those delicious looking strawberries really brighten the morning. The watery sky looks threatening and I have to go out a bit later!

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll p[op[ in and take a look - I bet it is lovely!
      It's supposed to brighten up in a while. Fingers crossed the weather will be kind to you. xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aren't they just! It is a sight to gladden the heart, just looking at them. xx

      Delete
  3. Those strawberries look mouthwateringly delicious.
    I like the way you've sewn the leaves in your picture. It's coming on very nicely x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoyed doing the leaves. xx

      Delete
  4. Wow, those strawberries, what a glorious sight!
    Love the way the curtain flutters in the gentle breeze and the way you arranged the leaves in the jug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Annabeth. It was satisfying!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Wow-your new header panel made me smile this morning! The strawberries look so delicious and it’s a brilliant idea having them at waist height. Your little stitching is looking good and I find slow stitching really calming as I can bet quite lost in the process. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it was very calming. Finished now and I'll post a photo tomorrow.

      The strawberries are just so, so delicious.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Your picture is looking really good now, I like how you have done the leaves. The header photograph is wonderful ... and you have to love picking strawberries at waist height haven't you. What a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Higher than waist, more like chest and, yes, it makes things so much more comfortable. And thank you. xx

      Delete
  7. Those strawberries look incredible! I love that shot. I had planted some, but I'm afraid the deer were munching on them. (and my artichoke plant.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear - that's a real shame. My brother lives in the US and he's pretty much given up on having a garden because of the wildlife that trashes just about everything.
      They do look lovely, don't they. Next time I go, I want to hold the camera high and see if I can get an aerial shot (or as much as a 5' 4" person can manage).
      xx

      Delete
  8. What gorgeous strawberry plants! They are absolutely beautiful. Love a fresh strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were beautiful. I'm going again this morning (a week on). xx

      Delete