Thursday 15 June 2023

Thursday, 15-06-23

 Morning, everyone . . . and here we are, half way through June and less than a week from the longest day of the year.  Crazy!  It's before six and it's pretty fresh outside but lovely and bright.

I've just takes a few photos - not the best light yes but OK.

First cucumber, looking a lot happier than last year's plants did at this stage.  Second cucumber is smaller but looking good too.
I see side shoots - woo hoo!

The first tomatoes are getting bigger.  A way off picking time yet but I can dream!






Good old Sungold - loads and loads of flowers popping out!

Lavender isn't the most dramatic flower but it smells wonderful in the warmth of the sun.

These daisy-like flowers are really pretty but I have no idea why the one on the right is so much bigger than the other two.  Odd!








I got the bi-weekly shop done without too much trouble.  I did have to stop off at Morrisons for a few items but managed to get everything on the list.  
Of course, typically, there's something I thought I had in the cupboard that I now can't find - garlic puree.  It's not the end of the world - I have both fresh and granules, but a tube of puree is so useful - and I'm absolutely sure I had some.  I must look a bit harder.

I had started washing my bedding before I went so when I got home it was done and a few hours later it was dry and ironed too.
I know I keep saying ad infinitum but there's something deeply pleasant about getting into a bed with freshly laundered sheets on.  I can see why the posh hotels change bedding every day.

It was a bad day for hay fever yesterday and by the time I set off for personal training I was feeling more like a wet rag than anything else and I don't think my energy levels were as high as usual but not to worry - I did it and I felt loads better afterwards.

In the evening, an email came through from Lathcoats - PYO opens this morning!  I was sorely tempted but common sense prevailed.  I bought loads of fruit yesterday and I already have strawberries in the fridge as well as what I'm picking at home so no.  The season will be several week and in a short while there will be raspberries, plums, etc, as well.  Also, in a fortnight, Lindsey is away so there's no classes and I will have every morning free; nine til ten is golden oldies time (they don't call it that) and there's no need to book.  It's a very pleasant time to go before the crowds and the heat build up.
But, for now, I do NOT need more fruit, nor do I need anything else and I would definitely be tempted by the farm shop.  Not to mention the really good garden Centre just over the road.
Just no!!

Chris will be over for our coffee and chat outside, I hope, and then I have bits and bobs to get on with.  I might go out for a walk later on - it really depends on how hot it is and how the hay fever is.

In these hot days, one needs to adjust things rather.  How do you modify your day when it is so very hot (hot for us in the UK, anyway)?
Stay safe, everyone.  xx


14 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a lovely day planned.
    It's great how the washing dries so quickly when the weather is like this. I did my ironing early yesterday morning, with the windows wide open to keep the house nice and cool.
    Your lavender looks gorgeous. My lavender is one of the few pants that survived over the last winter. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That very cold spell did a lot of damage, didn't it.
      I find lavender gets leggy and woody after while - Nearly time to take cuttings, I think. Like rosemary, it's easy to do.
      If I had more space, I would love a lavender hedge or border. Just imagine the perfumed air! xx

      Delete
  2. Well done for resisting temptation. We shan't have to put up with the heat for much longer, apparently, so enjoy it while you may x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain next week forecast around here. To be fair, we do need it, but . . . xx

      Delete
  3. I'm loving this sun. But we might get much needed rain on Tues or Wed next week.
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so lovely to feel warm all the time, isn't it? No cold fingers or toes at the moment. Bliss.
      You have a great day too. xx

      Delete
  4. Luckily I've never suffered with hay fever but a lot of people recommend local honey helps. I don't know if it would help you but it may be worth trying xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cucumber plant is looking beautifully healthy, mine's doing well too although my courgettes are not that good, they are just very small plants for some reason. You are going to get a good crop of Sungold tomatoes by the look of it, and they are so tasty aren't they.

    I modify my day by being a curtain fanatic to keep the lodge as cool as possible. If the sun is on the doors and windows they are open but the curtains are closed, once it's gone off the glass everything is flung open with wild abandon.

    I also get my washing done and out on the line nice and early so I can bring it in and put the line away as soon as possible. It's amazing how much nice the garden feels without the washing line draped across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely, Sungolds are. I'm interested in how the Honeycomb ons will taste in comparison.
      I put my line away too, especially this time of year when spending time in the garden is a real thing. As you say, so much nicer.

      Fingers crossed for all our plants! xx

      Delete
  6. Your plants continue to flourish, ours are hanging on in there but would love some rain water, it's going to rain here soon I think.
    From about 10 in the morning we close all the windows and blinds until late in the evening, like they do in many European countries - and after lunch we have the luxury of being able to rest/nap if we want to - which we usually do!!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the sun into the back (where most of the living area is and also my bedroom) until late morning so in the afternoons I close the blinds and that helps. You can see why so many hot countries houses have shutters, can't you?
      I have to admit, this week I have been nodding off in the afternoon. It really helps?
      xx

      Delete
  7. I hope you enjoyed your lovely day. Like you I have been very tired come the afternoon. I am blaming the heat we have been having.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has to be - plus maybe night time sleep isn't as good when it's so warm.
      Thanks, I did. xx

      Delete