Thursday 28 February 2019

Thursday

Good morning, everyone.  It's a less bitter start to the day today - no frost but a cloudy sky and the forecast is for rain later on.  Needed, I have to admit, as the ground feels quite dry, but I do hope it doesn't signal the end of this wonderfully spring-like weather we have been having.

After a gentle start to the day when I checked my planning and did a bit of sorting out, I drove off to Hylands to meet a friend.  Now, there are three car parks at Hylands, one by the A12, one up by the house and stables and one the other side near to the adventure playground.  I've only ever used the one by the house so assumed that was where F and I were to meet.  She, on the other hand, thought it was the one by the playground.  Ooops!

After a bit of hanging around and wondering, I decided to make the best of it and stroll around for a while which is when I took those photos I posted yesterday.  Fortunately, F decided to do something similar and we met by the old flint house.  Over coffee and non-stop chat, she told me how to get to the other car park which, I have to admit, is a lot easier to get to from my end of town so I'll probably use that in future.  There's a bit of a walk up to the house but that's one of the things I'd go for, a good walk in pleasant surroundings.

We ended up in the little plant shop where we both indulged in flowers for our gardens.  I got two lovely double-headed purple primroses and a yellow hyacinth (you don't see yellow hyacinths much, do you?) and they're now planed out round the front which looks really pretty after my work of the weekend.

I must go there more often.  It's an easy and speedy drive, free entry, very pleasant surroundings and a perfect place to spend a couple of hours with a picnic lunch to enjoy.  There's not an easy way to get there by bus, sadly, but come the better weather, you will find me there rather more.

Once home, Beth helped me lift the furniture out to the front of the house and, hopefully, they will be collected by the council at some point today.  They'd better, anyway - I've paid them to do so!  It will be very nice to have them gone, finally.
Beth worked upstairs in the room that is being converted to a sewing/work room and found she got so much more done than downstairs where there are constant distractions, so that's great.

After tuition I set off for the governors' training which was really very good and it was nice to realise that we are more or less doing the 'right thing' with our governor visits (which is what it was about).  I was very tired by then so once home it wasn't long before I was tucked up in bed and fast asleep!

Today is a lot easier.  The diary is empty until tuition and then there's a couple of hours free before SW group.  I plan to pop into town this morning.  I need to get some bras for mum and I want to look at the summer clothes that are not popping up!  One of you suggested I look in Fat Face so that's on the list, and I want to look around the 'little' shops as well as the bigger ones.  I might take a look at some paper patterns in John Lewis too.  And at their yarn . . . bliss!

So I will be at the bus stop just after nine for a morning's retail therapy, even if most of it will be of the window type!  I hope the promised rain holds off.

Thank you for all your comments yesterday.  I do enjoy reading them and I hope I have replied to each one - I think I have.
Have a great day.
xx

13 comments:

  1. I think BBC Look East were at Hylands too - did you notice them filming?
    The photos of all the green-ness are lovely - have a good day. Hope everything goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not a glimpse. But it's a very big place. :-)
      Thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Funny you should mention rain I was just thinking that we need some as it has been dry for ages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very different this morning. Lower clouds and I have packed a brolly in my shopping bag, in case.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It's raining here so I've abandoned my 'going out' plan for today. Good luck with the shopping and hope you see something you like.

    I typed out my SW question yesterday but have just noticed that it's in yesterday's comments on my blog. Not sure how that happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go take a look.
      It's not raining here yet but it really can't be far off. It's very gloomy.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. Your approach matches my understanding so that’s what I’ll do.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's good. Thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I think you mean the ‘old A12’ entrance! Pedantic I know, but the ‘new’ A12 bypass has been in place since the mid-80s. We have been to Hyland’s many times. There is a gravel track from Galleywood Common where we lived that goes directly to the ‘A12 entrance’ to Hyland’s Park. The track was put in place by the then owner of Hyland’s House who paid for the church in Widford, as well as the church on the Common in Galleywood, in the 1870s so that he could travel in his carriage to the latter. He only attended once by all accounts because he took offence to the then vicar’s sermon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is what I mean and you are quite right, thank you. No point looking for an entrance to Hylands on the A12 nowadays.
      I love your anecdote about the sermon. All that expense and only used once!
      xx

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you both enjoyed a lovely day and what a good job you managed to find one another. I hope you made the most of your retail therapy this morning. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a pleasant time in town, thank you, and it didn't rain! :-)
      xx

      Delete