Sunday 10 February 2019

Sunday

Good morning, everyone. 

Yesterday was a hoot!
We took the bus into town to get the train to Southend.
We actually had three choices.  We could have taken the X30 bus straight to Southend but decided not to do that as, though I have a bus pass, Alison does not and it costs a tenner plus she had vouchers for the train.  So train it was.  Two choices there as it's not a direct run from Chelmsford to Southend.  We could go Chelmsford - Shenfield; Shenfield - Romford; Romford - Upminster; Upminster - Southend - so three changes OR we could go Chelmsford - Shenfield and then get a 'replacement' bus as there is work on the line from Shenfield to Southend.

We decided on the latter as we thought we'd get some nice views on a bus journey.  Big mistake!

It was actually great value what with Al's vouchers, getting day returns and travelling together so no complaints there.  Nor was there anything untoward on the first leg.  We then got on the bus and, oh, my!  Talk about snail's pace!  And, of course, it had to stop at every station on the route to Southend to pick up passengers.  And there were some very long hold-ups because of road works mostly.  We didn't actually arrive in Southend until nearly one o'clock.

We went into the station to ask about bus times back to Shenfield later and the lady we asked grinned at us and indicated that if she were us, she'd cut her losses and get the X30 back.  Good idea but our tickets were not transferable.  We got the times anyway and decided to think about it!

So off we went.  It's a short walk down to the sea front but took longer because we kept stopping and looking in shops, etc.  Once on the sea front (oh, OK, estuary front, to be accurate) the wind fairly took our breath away.  It was extremely gusty!  The sun was shining though and it was cheerful and, Diane, we waved to you!

The fish and chips were gorgeous!  I haven't had bought fish and chips for at least eighteen month and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Piping hot and fresh cooked while we waited.
We wandered up and down, enjoying what we saw, although seaside resorts tend to look a bit scruffy and worn out when not in holiday season and Southend is no exception.
Then we went to the pier but decided not to go down it as it was so, so windy.  It wasn't cheap either - just over a fiver each for both ways on the little train.  Not to worry - that's now on my list for another visit as I have a friend there who couldn't meet up with us yesterday so will be returning - when it is warmer!

Time passed and it was time to think about heading back.  Decision time and we decided to try the four train option back.  That was a better choice although we just missed a few connections and had to wait around a bit.  However, we could stay warm and it wasn't nearly so bumpy and bouncy as the bus.  It was well dark by the time we got home.

So all in all a good day and the company, of course, was great.  I haven't seen Al for quite a while so we have plenty to catch up on.

I took some photos - the ones into the sun are deliberate!










Adventure Island - closed!








Walking along the front










Fine dining fish and chips.  It was lovely and warm - venue and food!







Very upmarket, don't you think!







There weren't many people on the beach - everyone else was far too sensible.








Into the sun.






A cheeky little chappie begging for crumbs.





It came over cloudy in the afternoon and we had a few drops of rain.  Nothing much though.






So that was Southend.  I shall go back again but not on the train until they have finished all the work which is every weekend until June or July!  Next time, I will take the bus and use my bus pass.

However, I learnt a few interesting things en route.  You can get a disabled rail card that entitles you to assisted travel as needed and a 33% discount and it's a lot cheaper to buy than the golden oldies railcard.  I took out a three year senior citizen railcard when I first retired but never got my money's worth so didn't renew.  However, I think I will go for this one and plan trips that use rail more  - it opens up a lot of possibilities. 

For example, the line goes direct to both Ipswich and Norwich.  Norwich would be particularly good as that's where Alex is at uni, there's a Premier Inn  close by the station and a bus that runs from there straight to the UEA campus. I could do a day trip or I could stay over a couple of nights.  It also goes to Colchester but I want to do the bus on that trip.

I didn't think I was entitled to a disabled persons railcard as I'm not formally registered as disabled, but it covers hearing and visual impairments and my hearing aid paperwork is acceptable as evidence. 

Sorry for rambling on.  Hoping you haven't fallen asleep yet, I'll just add that we are probably taking it easy today and staying in.  The weather forecast is for 'heavy rain and a moderate breeze' and I think we both had enough of breezes yesterday - and that was in sunshine!

Have a lovely day, everyone.
xx





20 comments:

  1. Great photos. What a lovely day you had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley, it was fun. Even the travelling mishaps can be fun when you have a friend with you.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day together....notwithstanding the journeys! We've not been to Southend for many, many years, I think it's changed a bit.

    I think you're brave doing all that travelling...nowadays long convoluted journeys both wear me out and stress me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Al said too. She hasn't been to SOuthend for twenty or thirty years and it looked so different to her.
      I think when you're with a friend and when you have all the time in the world and then some with no times to keep to, it doesn't really matter. We always knew where we were and that does seem to make a big difference.
      xx

      Delete
  3. At the least the long bus journey gave you the chance of a catch up. Moving around the country by road and rail is getting so problematic at the moment. There are roadworks all along the stretch of M5/M6 northto see my Mum. Hopefully your next trip to Southend will be quicker. At least the sea air will have blown away the cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got quite cross at one stop. They must have got the timings wrong because one way it was green for ages and the other way, just as busy, only four cars could get through before the lights changed. That was the biggest hold up and it must have taken a good twenty to thirty minutes to get bast it.
      The cobwebs didn't stand a chance, believe me! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. A great day out. And now you've done the journey you'll know what to expect another time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do. I've even looked up the bus times! Maybe, over half term, if it is mild . . .
      xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see your photos of Southend. I used to live in Wickford so would go down to Southend fairly frequently - and I well remember how cold it could be there in the winter. I'm now back living in Bristol (where I come from) but I still really miss Essex from time to time - I loved living there. Glad you had a good - if long - day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bus went through Wickford on the way. It might have changed a lot though.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Joy - just catching up - have missed a few days - you have been busy, but glad it has been enjoying yourself and having trips out. Southend always brings back memories when I hear the name - I have only ever been once and that was to deliver a talk to the fashion students in the late 70's - not sure if it was an Art College then or part of the uni - anyway it was my first major talk and I was so nervous - I stayed with a friend but never really got to see the town, maybe I will go back one day it looks really nice from your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to catch up with your blog too.
      It's OK but nothing special really and a bit shabby without the hanging baskets and summer decorations. But the sea is there and thatr makes all the difference.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Don't rush to my blog I have been too busy with the new baby and things to do anything - my get a post out later. Going for my daily cuddle today at lunchtime - it's dad's first day back at work today.

      Delete
  7. Its difficult to see but I think that me waving from the opposite shore :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love Southend and stayed for 3 days there when I had my London hospital app. now we live in Suffolk Sounds as though your journey was horrendous but Southend is worth it. Fish n chips in Southend, sounds like heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awkward journey but I did learn a lot so can't be sorry.
      xx

      Delete
  9. I've never been to Southend. It's the wrong side of the country for me - family trips were always to the south coast around Weymouth. When I was 9 we lived in Torquay for a while and I know what you mean about the out of season scruffiness - I always found it a bit sad, and felt the same when I did my teacher training in Plymouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abd yet, in the summer, in the sunshine, it is quite different. Like life, I guess.
      xx

      Delete
  10. Being with a good friend can make any long journey an adventure!

    ReplyDelete