Tuesday 13 February 2024

Tuesday, 13-02-24

Good morning, everyone.  Wasn't it a lovely day yesterday - I hope it was for you and it certainly was here.  A bit cold, yes, but wall to wall sunshine pretty much all day and the sun was still shining at quarter to five.  By five it was definitely fading but our days are very obviously longer now.  Lovely!

 Circuit training was really very good.  There were ten of us rotating around eleven activities and I felt so good afterwards.  Lindsey has a new piece of equipment - not sure what it is called but my shoulders and upper arms are aching this morning.  I'll try and remember to take a photo tomorrow when I go for circuits.

Then Mel came round and we had such a good natter about all sorts of things.

I had two pleasant surprises.  The first was a letter about my state pension.  Three cheers for the triple lock.  I won't be any better off but I won't be significantly worse off either.  By that, I mean after taking into account all those things that are going or have gone up, my finances will still be stable and I don't underestimate the value of that.  I haven't heard about my teachers' pension yet - they are much later to notify about the annual increase but there will be some as it is index linked (6.7% this time, I think although I'm not sure about that).  There will be extra tax to pay, of course, but even so . . .

Then I had a parcel; it was the last bit of my Christmas present from John - three lots of flowers from Bloom and Wild over three months.  How lovely!  They are 'recovering' at the moment but I should be able to arrange them nicely later on.

Another nice thing - I realised that it's only a couple of months until my Monday to Friday break at Center Parcs, Elveden.  Time to start thinking about what to do, what/where to eat/what to take, etc.  I have a self-catering  apartment rather than a villa/lodge this time - they are very cosy and comfortable, the kitchen is small and complete and I'm pretty sure I have a lakeside view again.
I always say the pre-planning is almost as much fun as the actual holiday and I really believe that.

I return from there and a week later I'm off again for a Fun and Fitness Shimmy and Groove weekend at Potters, Five Lakes.  An exciting April indeed.

Today there's Groove - sort of dance type aerobics - and after that it's upstairs cleaning, washing, drying and ironing plus, maybe, more gardening.  Busy, yes, but nice busy, productive busy not stressful busy.  Oddely, I am starting to almost enjoy doing my own housework.  Who'd ever have guessed it, eh?  Not me, for sure.

Depending on time, I might take a trip to a garden centre just to take a look.  That would be nice.  If not, maybe tomorrow.

Have a lovely day, everyone.  xx

20 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but I had a little chuckle at 'just to take a look.' ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - yes, maybe. I didn't go anyway. But I do need to look round for ideas for my middle bed. xx

      Delete
  2. Planning for a holiday is as enjoyable as the holiday, looking forward to it is a huge part of holidaying, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is for me. I don't think I could just 'get up and go' - I need that pre holiday time. xx

      Delete
  3. I’ve always thought that housework is really good exercise and aim for an hour most days. Nowadays I get my husband who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s two years ago to join in. We have the radio on and giggle as I ‘teach’ him how to vacuum a room from top to bottom and we discover the mysteries of keeping a clean house. Every day’s a school day and we are definitely developing new neural pathways. You are always a breath of fresh air Joy. Joyful by name and nature. I’m going to look at a Centre Parks holiday or something similar for us I think. We have just joined our local leisure centre and although I already do a weekly yoga class in the village hall and go to SwimFit once a week I think we are going to have fun trying all the different exercise classes and joining in with badminton and pickle ball not to to mention the state of the art peloton bikes where you could be virtually cycling over the Pyrenees - or not! I once did cycle over the Pyrenees in my late 20s (I was a triathlete and rower and as fit as I’ve ever been) and my friend and I still say that was tougher than childbirth. Have a lovely day - spring was on her way yesterday but today we are back to grey gloom. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely message, thank you so very much, Sarah. I do like the sound of your local leisure centre and all the activities they offer.
      You really were fit, weren't you - cycling over the Pyrenees - wow!

      It's raining here too. Back to dull and dismal. Oh, well. xx

      Delete
  4. Glad you are enjoying your travels...and your house cleaning. I am at the time of life when I only travel when necessary. This is the woman who flew four to five times a year for school education...to visit son wherever he lived...daughter also...now here in Florida, they almost have to drag me to the airport...I enjoy your blog and Sooze's blog so so much. The first two I read in the morning. I wondered if you read much and what you do read....I am an avid reader (and reviewer) and wanted to mention that if you can get the book, THE WOMEN by Kristin Hannah...it is her Opus...of course, American fiction...but you might like it. I read several hundred books a year and usually don't mention them on the blogs...this one...have a good day and keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read all sorts. At the moment I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books and 'Unprocess Your Life' by Rob Hobson, a sort of follow on to Chris van Tulleken's 'Ultra Processed People'.
      I'll look up the book you recommend, thank you. xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely surprises arriving for you in the post today, Joy. And it won't be long before the first of your holiday breaks for this year. Have a lovely day. It's pouring with rain here so I'm doing indoors things with D today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining here too - such a shame after such a lovely few days. But that's weather for you. I've drawn the curtains early so it's more cosy inside :-) xx

      Delete
  6. Bloom and Wild flowers are lovely, aren't they?
    You've got some nice things planned to look forward to and the weeks are going so quickly. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely. You think when you open the box that they are over but, no, they refresh so beautifully! xx

      Delete
  7. Can you REALLY go to the garden centre just for a look? I find at least one sort or another of plant follows me home, and of course there's coffee to be had. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well . . . maybe. I didn't go anyway because the rain came. xx

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you had a lovely day. I wonder if your Groove sessions are similar to the Body Groove sessions that are advertised on television here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. It's aerobic and toning exerciser sequences to music with a warm up and a cool down. I enjoy the sessions very much. xx

      Delete
  9. That's wonderful that you enjoy housework. I would love to say the same; I do like vacuuming and doing laundry, though. I am working on a better discipline with dusting and wiping things down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always thankful that it's not a big house and, as two of the bedrooms are rarely in regular use, I don't need to do them so often, just a quick wipe over.
      What I like is the sense of peace and contentment that I get when my home is clean and (relatively) tidy. xx

      Delete
  10. Good news about the pension and glad that you received the flower present - what a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was - I knew the state pension was going up but it was nice to know by how much and the flowers are looking beautiful now. xx

      Delete