Saturday 17 February 2024

Saturday, 17-02-24 and a few garden photos

Morning, everyone.  I'm having a slower start to the day as far as blogging is concerned as I've been having fun in the kitchen concocting something vegetable-y and pasta-ey and spicy for lunch - and now I'm really looking forward to it!
It's dull this morning and it looks as if there was a bit of rain overnight as the slabs are a bit damp.  Still, grab the moment and at the moment it is nice and dry so I'm not grumbling in the slightest.

I had plans for yesterday, didn't I?  However, after getting home from SW and a bit of shopping, it morphed into a snuggle, snooze and sleep day.  I seemed to be very tired so gave in and that was that.  And I have slept well all night too so must have needed it.  I feel great this morning so, providing it stays dry, getting those plants out is top of the list!

I got the next Broomfield Coach trips newsletter yesterday and there's something I would dearly love to go to.  It's first first show in Torvill and Dean's final tour before retiring and I think they are brilliant.  However - very first world problem - I will be at Potters, Five Lakes at the same time so I will have to give it a miss.  Such a hardship < tongue in cheek here > but I'm sure I will survive!

So, on to today.  I've already been buzzing around in the kitchen but am still in my pojs so I think I will have breakfast first, then have my bath and get dressed and then pop out the back to do the necessary and a bit more if the spirit moves.

I look a few photos about an hour ago . . .

Soon to be planted . . .
. . . and ditto.
My mini-daffs are starting to flower.  There's a nice clump of flowers out the front but I haven't quite got the nerve to go out in pjs to take a photo so I'll take one later on.
These hyacinths have been in this spot for ages and ages and I keep saying I need to move them but never do.  However, they are now just too close to the wall and a bush and they were a bit disturbed during the wall repairs.  Also, after what Sooze said last week, I bet there are a lot of baby bulbs clumped together which need splitting anyway - so I'll do that as they die back in a couple of months.

I shall be making my own mint sauce again soon.


Have a lovely Saturday, everyone.  I hope it stays fine for you and that all goes well.  Take care.  xx



16 comments:

  1. Lovely signs of Spring! I am also enjoying the results of my bulb-planting session last September; these are in large pots along the front of my bungalow and at the side of my Patio in the back garden. There are hyacinths and narcissi. A few of the daffodils have flowered even thought they are only a few inches high . . . goodness knows if they will suddenly shoot up to be tall ones! I checked my mint pots after seeing your photo but mine are still underground! I have several varieties, but I think they are all waiting for the sun to bring them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an exciting time of year, I think, despite the gloom, damp and cold. Your bulbs sound really lovely. xx

      Delete
  2. I love mini daffs they are so long lasting and don't get bashed down by all the wind we get here. All the little signs of spring being ' around the corner ' are so welcome.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely; bright but not too gaudy and so dainty. I can feel the spring vibes inside, just bubbling under at the moment. xx

      Delete
  3. Isn't it lovely to see all the Spring flowers and everything else budding ready to burst into life. We are in Wales emptying the flat and seeing our agent ready to sell it, and the roadside verges are full of daffodils of every size and description. It looks beautiful. 🏵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with clearing and selling your flat. The verges sound delightful. xx

      Delete
  4. How lovely to see spring flowers appearing. They are always so pretty aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are so lovely, a real splash of colour in the winter. xx

      Delete
  5. It is quite a thrill to spot new flowers opening. It's much easier at this time of year. Soon things will be romping away and I shall be struggling to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all lovely until the bulbs start to die back and then it all looks a mess for a while. xx

      Delete
  6. Such lovely spring flowers! Daffodils are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such sunny flowers, aren't they. So cheerful. xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely garden photos. It's nice to see things growing. My sister sent me photos of flowers she'd seen in Ipswich. She knows how much I like to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, I agree. The world seems to be opening into colour again. I do love to see the bulbs that have been randomly planted along the sides of the roads. xx

      Delete
  8. I used to love to drive into the Tamar Valley, mainly to buy veg and flowers from the roadside stalls with their honesty boxes. All the roadside verges were filled with daffodils and I only recently read how this came about. The fields were originally Daffodil fields (the early daffs were grown for markets across the UK) but when the land was needed for growing food during the war, the daffodil bulbs were thrown up on to the verges, resulting in the fabulous displays we have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that story. Thank you so much. xx

      Delete