Wednesday 25 July 2018

Wednesday

Good morning, everybody!  How are we all managing?  I gather that down here in the south east we are getting most of the heat but I expect it's uncomfortable everywhere to some degree.  Today is predicted to reach 31C and tomorrow and Friday 32C before a drop on Saturday.  Oh, heck!!!

At least and last, at long, long last, my tomatoes are starting to turn colour, properly turn.  One or two are anyway and where one leads, the other follow.  I was getting close to popping a few bought tomatoes under them to get things moving a bit.  Seriously.  I gather it is like putting a banana in a fruit bowl!   So maybe by August I will be picking.  I hope so anyway; I knew they were going to be late because of everything going on earlier in the year but this time just before ripening seems to go on and on and on for ever.

Yesterday was a day to keep things slow and easy.  It was baking hot and I didn't move far from my two fans; I certainly didn't go out to see the churches.  I didn't do the ironing so must do some today and the kitchen is a mess.  And Beth didn't come round - she's finding the heat hard to manage at work and just wanted to get home.

This morning I'm popping out to do a bit of tuition first thing and when I get back I will sort out the kitchen and get going with some ironing before the heat peaks.  I have to water the allotment too.  I ought to do it in the evening but at the moment I'm a hot, sticky pile of nothing by the evening so it has to be the morning.  At times like this I wish the allotment was closer, preferable next to the back garden.

Well, I had better get moving, I suppose.  Please take care, everyone, and don't push it.  It has to freshen up at some point!  :-)

2 comments:

  1. The only time of day to do anything is early morning, really, isn't it, while this heat wave continues, Joy? It was just slightly cooler here in Torbay yesterday and so I decided to change the bed linen and do all kinds of jobs that I'd not have tackled in the heat. The result is a tidy, clean home but I was worn to a frazzle. It mightn't have been overwhelmingly hot but it was still hot! I even got the ironing up-to-date!
    We have two tomatoes almost ready for picking. Just two. But we only have a couple of tomato plants that a neighbour had given us, so we reckon, as we're not good gardeners, to have brought the plants on to production, we've done good, as they say! (I hate the response to how someone is, "I'm good!" by the way. This is supposed to sound 'modern' but of course, sounds just plain silly.)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I keep telling myself that language is a living, developing thing but I know exactly what you mean!
    It makes me feel hot just reading about what you achieved yesterday - well done!
    xx

    ReplyDelete