Tuesday 3 July 2018

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  Another hot day forecast but hopefully it will be like yesterday - hot, yes, but precious little humidity, which makes a big difference.

On the way home yesterday, I had to stop off at Bickerdikes, a lovely garden centre near Mum and Dad's.  The reason was that on Saturday I bought a top there (and tomato food) and when I got it home (well, Mum and Dad's home) and tried it on, it was way, way, way too big.  I've never had before, it's usually the opposite.  There were no quibbles, thank goodness, and I was sad they didn't have it in the next size down - it was a nice, cool, linen tunic type thing.

Once home the first thing I did was open all the windows and let some fresh air in.  The second was to feed the tomatoes and the third was to water them!  I took a few photos too.

 Yes, I have baby runner beans!  So cute.  Unfortunately, I also have black fly but I hope most of that will have gone by tomorrow after a good spraying.

Here's some baby tomatoes from one of the surprise plants.  Dad reckons they will just be bog-standard little red tomatoes.  Personally, I care not a jot providing they taste good!

I also picked two raspberries and three blueberries but they didn't see the inside of the house!  Very delicious they were too.

School was fun and so was tuition.  Then I popped down to the allotment to weed, water and feed everything.  Goodness, one weekend away and up comes the bindweed and the ground elder, pesky,  horrible stuff.

The mange tout is doing really well, as are the potatoes and the corn.  I picked six mini yellow courgettes because Monty (Don) says you should, to encourage more fruiting and also two raspberries.  Here they are perched on top of a really nice fresh fruit salad I enjoyed last night.


I gave the runners a good spray because the blackfly had hit at the allotment as well.

Today I have to stay in most of the day until they deliver my all singing, all dancing TV box thingy.  I'll take the opportunity to get some housework done and the lovely Sharon is round at midday to work her usual magic on my hair.  I shall also make some bread for Alex.

Beth's round for dinner, by which time I should be free to leave the house, so we will go and water the allotment before I use those six mini courgettes in a pinto bean and vegetable bake.

Have a great day and stay as cool as you can.






7 comments:

  1. Oh, what delicious produce. The most I can manage are a profusion of weeds, ha ha! Seriously, it's been too hot for us to do any gardening save watering the pots of flowers of an evening, and the two small pots of tomatoes, but there are small tomatoes forming!
    I've been up since 4.30am and done a few chores before the day gets too hot. In the depths of winter I never thought I'd be saying that in July!
    I hope the new TV thingy works well. I find such things a real trial, we have a couple of such boxes and I've found them more trouble than they're worth. I hope you have better success than I have had.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, Margaret! The garden is small so I just do it in dribs and drabs but, from what I've seen on your blog, you have a beautiful garden. No wonder you love eating outside so much.
    Mornings and evenings are much more pleasant at the the moment, I agree. I throw open the doors and windows to get a good airing and close them again (or use the blinds) when the heat builds up. I'm loving my fans right now.
    Fingers crossed for the TV box. If the worst comes to the worst I will ask someone to come in and help with it but I hope it'll be OK. It's supposed to be 'easy' but nothing is easy when one is a techno-idiot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful disappointment to find that the top was too large!
    I'd take that as a pat on the back for your new manifesto!
    Eldest son thought your curry recipe was excellent thanks. He took the remainder,
    (I made a lot), for this evening's meal.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Wonderful disappointment' just about hits the nail on the head, thanks.
    I have curry down on the planning again this week. It sounds odd to have hot things in hot weather but it works in India! Really glad your son liked it so much.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to see the produce all coming along well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fruit salad looks especially yummy! Is it all home grown fruit? Good luck with the TV box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish it were, Eileen. No, just the two raspberries on top. The yogurt is home made too.

    Diane - yes, it is. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete