Sunday 29 July 2018

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.

It's damp out there, not raining hard but there are drops in the air.  It's cool, there's a good breeze going and it's just lovely!  It took a while for the house to lose the heat - after all, homes are built to retain heat, not to lose it - but open windows helped and now it's lovely and fresh inside as well as out, so much so that I think it will be a jeans and cardigan day today.
We have a forecast of heavy rain for part of the day and light rain for most of the rest of the day and I'm glad.  What we've had so far has only dampened the top few centimetres of soil; it is amazing how much more is needed to get back to how it was.  The allotment won't need watering though, not if we get that heavy rain.  Beth and I had planned to go down there later on but, for the first time in weeks, rain has stopped play.

There is a flip side and that is that the strong wind has broken down the two gladioli stems but never mind, I now know that they need support next year.  Another is that those pesky weeds are already fighting back.  Grrrrrrr.

As always, when severe weather breaks, it tends to break with more severe weather.  We tend to not have too much of an issue round here (fingers crossed) but BBC news tells me that there have been floods and other damage and there's a severe weather warning out for today.  So while I rejoice in the cooler conditions, it's not necessarily so great for others.  I hope my readers are all OK.

I worked hard yesterday, washing, drying and ironing, and got loads done.  It was a perfect drying day.  By the time the next load had finished washing, the previous load was ready to come in for ironing.  There's a bit more to do yet but not a lot; I'll get it done this morning, for sure.  The results are all stacked in piles or on hangers, waiting to be collected.  I'm glad I don't do it for a living!

I also have to sweep the carpet.  Because of the strong winds yesterday, those pesky little birch seeds blew all over the place and, as the French windows were open, they blew right in and the carpet is covered.

So that's today planned.  Finishing the washing/ironing, cleaning downstairs and, after dinner, Beth should be round to keep me company.  I'm looking forward to that.  She will take back her done washing - I'm looking forward to that too!

And finally, I saw that BBC iPlayer is showing the complete Pride and Prejudice again.  I know it didn't always totally stick to the book (wet shirt?  joint wedding?) but it was a good adaptation and I will thoroughly enjoy watching it again, especially now I have worked out how to connect the laptop to the telly.

Should be a good day!




6 comments:

  1. It's pouring down here. It rained hard for most of yesterday, continued through the night and looks set in for the day. Thankfully, the thunder and lightning has moved on! The garden is getting exactly what it needs and I'm excused watering duties, but it's been raining hard enough and long enough for the other end of the village to flood. It's a well known local problem spot, hopefully restricting itself to the flood plains bordering the river. I don't think it'll be bad enough to affect any of the homes or other buildings. I live in the higher end of the village so we never have flooding problems. The nearest body of water to my home is the canal and of course the level of water in the canal system is managed, so never a risk of flooding.

    I've had to resort to wearing a cardigan today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always a flip side, isn't there. I hope things will be OK in your village.
    It's cleared a bit here but keeps going very dark and there's no blue sky showing. It won't be long before the heavens open, I suspect. No washing out today!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We have RAIN! I actually cheered! Everything is lovely and fresh but the lawn even has slight puddles as the hard soil can't cope with allowing the water to filter through yet. It will, but it will take time. Husband has left the car on the drive. I know it's still but I can almost imagine it also thinking, "Great, a shower at last!"
    Oh, I loved the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version of Pride & Prejudice, and it's at least 25 years ago now, isn't it?
    I also love the Cieran Hinds/Amanda Root version of Persuasion, which was my all-time favourite Jane Austen adaptation.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, isn't it? It keeps raining a bit here, then stopping which, I think, is about perfect. It gives the water a chance to soak in before adding some more.
    And it is so beautifully cool.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed the washing and ironing today thank goodness the pile was enormous. It is raining again tonight so everything having a nice soaking. I love anything Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. It's such a good feeling when it's all done, isn't it?

    It was a particularly good adaptation, I think. I remember a much earlier on where they totally missed Mary out and an old film where Lady Catherine turned out to be a goody! Terrible!

    ReplyDelete