Friday 13 July 2018

Friday

Good morning, everyone.  More dull start to the day but it feels rather humid this morning.  That might be because I am just out of the bath, I don't know, but the fans are on which helps a lot.

Well, chaps, I am no longer a Senior Citizen Bus Pass virgin!  Yay!  I shall do it again pretty soon, it was good and free, totally free and the bus driver was very nice about showing me exactly what I had to do.    I now know not only how to get into town but also where to get the bus home (I'd never have guessed that one, it's a bit out of the way), that buses are every 20 minutes and that it's all a doddle.
If you've been using buses for ages, it's not a biggie, I know, but for me it IS a biggie and it's now off my List Of Things I Must Learn How To Do!  Thank you, Alex!

While we were there I treated Al to lunch and he fancied Prezzo as I said he could choose.  I'm glad I did as he told me his end of first year results and they are outstandingly good, fantastic, even the few mathematical areas where he had experienced some problems.  Totally on track for a first.  Who would ever have thought it seventeen or so years ago when he was a non-verbal three year old, diagnosed with autism and given a statement!  Well worth a celebratory pizza.

We had a lovely meal, a lovely chat and just a very good time.

When we got back here, before I drove him home (the least I could do after all his help), he showed me how I can connect my laptop to my telly so now I can access iPlayer on TV that way rather than using the very slow and clunky link through the TiVo box.  I need to get a longer cable so I can have the laptop beside me, bit that's not a problem.  Amazon, here I come!
Yes, it was simple, but remember I am a techno-idiot!

So, all in all, a good day, finished off with some great tuition.

Today is a bit busy.  Seth comes at around 9:30 to put back a cupboard door that fell off.  Then I water the allotment and dig some potatoes (yum).  Following that I go to Morrisons for a weekend shop and then my lovely cleaner comes.
So the first job is tidying up the kitchen and the second is tidying up the living room.  No, it isn't terrible, but it's not great either.  So better get started!

Stay cool!


.




12 comments:

  1. You sound like my Mum, she tidies up (well, attempts to, she's in her 80s and very frail indeed) before her cleaner comes!

    Well done on breaking your virginity ;-)

    You're always so upbeat, Joy, thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you leave something for the cleaner to do!
    Glad to hear you managed the bus - my mum recently ended up on one of those that goes around the houses instead of the direct one - she wondered where she was going but discovered a lot of places she didn't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the bus ride, it's a great service for us 'silver riders'!

    Anytime you wish to hire out that clever grandson of yours, feel free to call me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooze - I know it sounds daft but there is a good reason. I want my cleaner to do just that - clean. If she has to take time clearing surfaces, etc, before she can clean, she actually gets less done so I reckon it is worth my while to tidy up before she arrives. There is a logic in it, honestly!
    And thanks. :-)

    Viv - I'd probably panic if that happened to me before reminding myself that as long as I end up where I need to be, the journey doesn't matter. How profound is that, eh? :-)
    The cleaner has plenty to do, believe me! Oh, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annabeth - lol. It is a great service and I'm glad to have started off. We're very proud of Al, as you can imagine. He's a character and a half! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that Alex is doing so well at his university. I really wish that you all lived closer so that he could help me with my technical issues. Well done on your first bus trip ... now you have to try it on your own and not get lost!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you about the buses, it's always good to figure something out, even (maybe especially) where it's something lots of other folks do that you missed out on or never needed before... I finally got the setting point for jam a couple of weeks ago - I am surrounded by jam makers and didn't have a clue. I did a happy dance for that!.

    Many congratulations to Alex for his good results, on track for a first is a fabulous result.

    Finally a request - please, please can you let me in on the laptop to TV trick? I agree completely about the iPlayer link on TiVo and would love use the laptop instead. What's the magic cable?

    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a son who has hearing difficulties and other issues I know how hard and cruel the world can be to those who need more nurturing.
    Our son had problems understanding the world and was labelled of “ below average intelligence”.
    We knew he was not but it was hard to convince others. Like Al he was very determined, a gift often given to people who have to cope with uneven odds.
    I'm delighted to hear how well the first year of university has gone for your grandson.
    That may well be his biggest hurdle . He's proved to you and Beth and more importantly to himself, that he can do it!
    He's also shifted the balance to that of being more of an adult than a child by helping you solve problems.
    Well done all of you.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eileen - thank you. I think that I shall be fine now. I had another look at the bus maps and, because I'd done it, they all made sense. It's a funny old route, often looping back on itself so mapping it wouldn't be easy.

    Suzie - well done on getting the setting point - what jam were you making? Strawberry? That's notoriously difficult to achieve.
    Just check that you have a HDMI socket on your laptop (you should have) and one at the back of your TV (mine has two) Then you just need a HDMI to HDMI cable. I have to use the TV control to change the setting to HDMI2 which is the socket I use. This is the one I have ordered, 2m long. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071WBWGBT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will do some photos.

    Sue - You're right, many people don't have the patience and the understanding needed and it's just not fair. I'm glad your son had the necessary determination to battle through.
    Yes, the balance has shifted and it's lovely to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have only used our bus passes a couple of times, we just forget we have them, and the buses run so infrequently it would take a day to get anywhere and back again. But useful if we wanted a walk say, as far as we could manage in one direction and then get the bus back. But I have to say, the experiences on which we used the buses weren't pleasant - I felt I wanted to change my clothes and have a shower when we got home, so used are we to our clean car. That sounds prissy, but it's how we felt. But useful to have a bus pass in an emergency.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thsnk you so much - will be adding the cable to the next Amazon order :-) Oh and it was pink gooseberry and strawberry - it tastes good too, so worth the working out.

    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margaret - a shame but if it makes you feel like that, best not to use them, I agree.
    Suzie - that jam sounds utterly delicious. Yum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete