Saturday 7 July 2018

Saturday

Good morning, all.  The windows are wide open and the cooler air is pouring in after what felt like a very hot night, despite the fan blowing over me all the time.  And I'm sneezing already but that's my own fault.

You see, I have an early routine at this time of year and that is to open the French window and, weather permitting, meander around the garden, little metal rings in hand, checking over the tomatoes, pinching out the side shoots and popping on another plant ring if needed to keep them 'staked', so to speak.  Then I check over the runners for any sign of aphids before giving everything an early morning drink.  Today I noticed that the tall ornamental grass is 'flowering' beautifully and, stupidly I gave it a bit of a shake whereupon a smoke-cloud of pollen drifted out and headed in my direction.  I dodged but not before I caught a bit of it.  You'd think I would have learned by now, wouldn't you!

I think it's the prettiest it's ever been - just a shame about all that pollen!

As I hoped, yesterday was a restful day, helped by managing to keep the house reasonably cool.  The fans worked full pelt (tough on the electricity bill but there you go) and, as the sun moved round, the vertical blinds came into play too.  The hottest room was my bedroom but I have a fan in there too.  I'm not sure how I would cope without the fans, that's for sure.

Mel came round and we had cold drinks and a fruit platter which went down a treat.  It was so nice to catch up on stuff.  Her son, D, came round too.  I never taught D, amazingly enough, but I was involved in his early education in other ways and Mel and I just got friendly.  What with one thing and another, we haven't caught up for a very long time which is daft seeing as we are ten minutes' walk away from each other.  She loved her garden in a low key way, just like me really, so we had much to chat about.
(by low key I mean no grandiose plans)

I won't get Matt's plans and quote for the bathroom for about three weeks.  His daughter (who I did teach in Y1) has her graduation next week so they are combining that with a holiday. 

On to today and I think it is going to be another scorcher.  Beth was going to come here for the day but it really depends how she is feeling.  If she does, we planned allotment in the morning and one of our old 'sewing days' in the afternoon.  I miss these times now she is working so I'm hoping that she can come but only if she feels right again.  It takes more than a day to get over something like that so I'm not too hopeful.

If she doesn't come, I will do my own bit of sewing in the afternoon after watering the allotment before lunch.

Sorry, Sue, it is past 7:30 and I still have to edit a photos and pop it on < grin >.  In the words of teachers everywhere, 'must do better'.  :-)


4 comments:

  1. Oh, Joy, that ornamental grass is a delight. We haven't any in our garden, but the one you have is so pretty! But oh, the pollen, I can imagine the haze of the stuff, and it making you sneeze!
    I love to eat fruit this hot weather, and right now the strawberries and raspberries are wonderful - we don't grow them, but we buy English ones in the supermarket. I add canned lychees and also slivers of stem ginger to fresh fruit salads, too.
    Yes, another scorcher today. I'm still not really well, but will rest as much as I can today, and also watch the England football match.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, isn't it. The best it's ever been. There's a better photo in the garden update I have just posted. It's quite close to one of the French windows so I get the benefit of it all the time.
    Mel and I were saying that we think the fruit this year is better than it has been for a long time. Lychees are, I think, my absolute favourite fruit. You get them, occasionally, in the shops fresh and then I stuff the budget and treat myself.
    I'm sorry you're still not feeling wonderful. It could be the hot weather, couldn't it? Your plan sounds just right to me - enjoy the day.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Beth (is that your daughter?) is feeling better today and you have your get together.
    The grass is quite magnificent - I must say the plants here that survived the winter Beast have actually put on a better display than ever - I think it is a natural survival thing that plants do when threatened - more flowers and fruit - more seeds to spread - and better chance of continual survival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Beth's my daughter and no, she's not coming over. She's OK but feeling very drained and needs to rest.
    You could very well be right - the really cold winter has caused a better output now.

    ReplyDelete