Monday 9 July 2018

Monday

Good morning, everyone.  It's not as sunny as it has been at this time of the day for the last two weeks or so and feels pretty fresh (nice) so doors and windows are open to enjoy the cool air that's pouring in.

Well, I set to yesterday and started making the cushion thingies for the arbour.  The colour isn't quite right on the photo - they tone/match better than it appears and I'm really pleased with how it looks.  One side of the cushions is a disappearing nine block pattern and the other side is plain to match the seat and is, admittedly, rather more faded than I remembered but the fabric is in great nick..  It was nice and cool sewing with the fans on and Doctor Who on the telly and certainly kept my mind off food!!




And while I am on the subject, guess what I saw in Morrisons.  Some really nice lavender plants, quite big, very fragrant and really not all that expensive.  So I got two, brought them home, watered them well and sat them in the shade.  Later on this week I will get them into the pots and, as they are flowering, will harvest the petals and make a few lavender bags for my drawers.

It all looks a lot better now and much more comfortable for sitting out.

The flip side of the day was that, while walking past the table, I caught my little toe on a chair leg and ouch!  I now have a black and blue little toe with hardly any nail.  Made me mutter a few things between the ouches and I've had to loosen my sandal strap.  That'll teach me to be careful!

That's about it as far as yesterday goes as the sewing, etc, took most of the day.  I now have a mess to clear up but first I want to finish off a skirt so that will be the first task of the day.  If I have time, I will go swimming, but I doubt I will today, what with housework, helping out in FS and then tuition.  And I want to sit outside on my new cushions at some point too!

So I'd better get moving!



12 comments:

  1. Lovely cushions they look great. Poor toe nasty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Joy, those cushions are gorgeous! They look perfect on your arbour seat! This isn't a bit of iffy craft work that I tend to be sniggery about, it's beautiful and useful! I love the material, it's just right for a garden. What a lovely place in which to sit and enjoy your garden!
    Ooh, that was painful, catching your little toe on a chair leg! The other day I was putting the ironing board away and it began to fall out of the place where I put it and I caught the nail of my right big toe and slightly ripped that as I automatically put out my foot to steady the blimmin' ironing board. I now have very wonk-looking bit toe nail, not pretty, especially when I went to the trouble and expense of having a pedicure recently (and will have another one soon.)
    Yes, you must forget the work and go and sit on your new cushions!!!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Diane and Margaret. I'm pleased that I used up fabric I already had - the temptation to go and buy something was fairly strong!
    Margaret, I hope your toe is OK and it was just the nail. Take care!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, ouch, that hurt!! Another consequence of this heat, exposed toes are so vulnerable to attack! Hope it heals quickly.

    Seat and cushions look gorgeous, looking forward to seeing the lavenders in their new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to go about barefoot quite a lot anyway so I guess my toes can get a bit of a battering. I shouldn't have been in such a hurry really.
    I'm pleased with the cushions, etc. Now I have to decide on bunting. Overkill, maybe?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Joy, it was just the nail that was slightly ripped, not the whole nail or the toe itself, but still painful and has made the nail look oddly shaped - hope my manicurist/pedicurist can sort it out, I have difficulty doing my own toenails, and I do like them to look nice, especially for the summer when feet are more exposed.

    Ooh, bunting. No, I'd not have bunting on the arbour, Joy; stick with roses or a wisteria growing up the sides and across the top. But that's only my opinion for what it's worth (nowt, ha ha!) I would say don't overdo the needlework although when one enjoys making things, the temptation is always there. Others, especially those who are stitchers will no doubt disagree.

    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new cushions look very comfy. I hope you enjoy many happy hours sitting there x

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, thanks, Margaret. I don't want to have anything growing over it as I'll want to move it from time to time. I checked the fabric I have left and there's not enough for bunting anyway!
    Really sorry about your toe - things like that can be jolly painful, can't they.
    Thanks, Eileen and Viv. The more I look at it, the more pleased I am. I shall have to remember to bring it in every night though - nor waterproof in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cushions are lovely and the arbour looks really enticing. I'm in awe, as always, of your craftiness... I can't do anything so creative and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'd not thought you wanted/needed to move the arbour, Joy. Really, I had pinched the idea from a good friend who has grown a white wisteria at the side of her arbour, and it's now growing over the arch, and the flowers drape beautifully over the top.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is an absolutely beautiful idea, Margaret, and I would do something similar if I could. Roses, maybe? However, I think the lavender will look and smell lovely once it is established and I will get fragrance all year round when I dry the flowers.
    Chrissie, thanks so much. It like the disappearing nine block pattern although it is better if you have more fabrics. I only had the three that really went together. Machine patchwork is a lot less complicated than it looks, in fact! I bet you could really (assuming you have a sewing machine).

    ReplyDelete