Friday 6 July 2018

Friday

Good morning, everyone!   I have all the doors and windows thrown open to make the most of the fine weather we are having and it's lovely!  I see threats of thunder and heavy showers but there's no sign of anything like that here.  The watering can is getting a lot of hard work!

Yesterday was not as busy as expected.  I was going round to Beth's to help Alex tidy his room but when I got there he said not to stay because he had an upset tum.  So I came home again, stopping off at the allotment to water on the way.  I'm glad I didn't stay because this morning Beth is off work with the same thing.  Not at all nice for either of them.
We will reschedule!

So I had time that I wasn't expecting so I planned the tuition and then chilled for a while as it was humid and baking hot.  As I drove away from the allotment the car registered 37C.  It wasn't, of course, but it was certainly too hot for comfort!

This weather is suiting the baby corn which is growing cms each day.  Everything else is coming on too and later on I will go over and do some more watering.

I had an email chat with dad as he planted some later runners last year so that he had some going on well into Autumn.  He recommended late July so it's in the garden diary!  There are some gaps along the rows so they will be a perfect place.

Back home, the few yellow raspberries are ripening well, as are the blueberries and I intend to pick what's ripe for my breakfast tomorrow to go with either my overnight oats or my muesli.  I shall have to exert great self control today!

I'm a bit late today because I had an early visit from Matt the Plumber who serviced the boiler and then looked at my bathroom and discussed what's possible in what is a very small space.
At present I have a very large corner bath.  It's been great but is looking its age now and it all needs an update anyway.  He is sure he can find something much smaller that will fit in the other way giving me room for a vanity unit AND some floor to ceiling storage and still have more floor space than I have now.  That would be brilliant.

I did consider a wet room instead but I do love my morning bath!  There's time for a wet room if I ever get to the point of not coping with a bath.
                                                                 
It will be a big job because the ceiling needs sorting (it is artex) and there are three layers of tiles on a couple of the walls so, when they've gone, the walls will need replastering too.  There will be a shower screen (better than the plastic curtains I have at present) and instead of the conventional radiator I will have a floor to ceiling one that I can also hang my towels, etc, on.
He's going to fit spots and one of them will double as an extractor fan(tastic!).
Best of all, he will project manage from beginning to end - minimal confusion all round.

It all sounds very exciting (to me anyway) and it will be so nice to have a modern bathroom again.

Later on today I have a friend coming over and instead of biscuits I shall offer her a fruit platter.  Much more cooling and better for us both!

In between, I have to pop to Morrisons for a few things and I have a list so, hopefully, I won't deviate.  Then I shall see if there's enough in the washing basket to make it worth doing a wash and then I will potter in the garden.  A nice, gentle, non stressful day: just the ticket!

One sad thing.  Two more internet friends have stopped blogging, I gather because of unpleasant comments received. 
It's a very sad fact that the Internet can be a very nasty place and there is little protection for those who are on the receiving end.  You can set comments to approval but you still have to read them yourself.  Neither blog was controversial, neither indulged in rants or strops, they were gentle, day by day accounts, a bit like this one, in fact (only better!)
It's just so wrong and I will miss their posts very much indeed.

I'd like to thank my readers and commenters for their support and that (fingers crossed) you help to keep this blog a pleasant and friendly corner.  Believe me, I appreciate you all very much.  Thank you.



8 comments:

  1. I've also seen blogging friends give up because of nasty comments. I honestly don't understand why a certain time of person seems to get so much pleasure from causing that type of hurt - the anonymity of the online workd seems to bring out the worst in some people.

    Your new bathroom plans sounds exciting. I'm having mine done too and will also have spots and a heated towel rail/radiator. The work won't start until late September though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not having a good day .... that should say 'certain type of person' and 'online world' ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, Eileen. Anyone who catches my blog just after posting will see all sorts of stuff that I don't see until I re-read it as a post. Fortunately, we can edit posts. Sadly, we can't edit comments!
    Matt said he is busy until the end of November and, because I don't want upheavals in the festive and/or cold times (and it will take about a fortnight), I will wait until April or May next year. It gives me time to save a bit more anyway so win-win.
    We really do seem to reflect each other, don't we? Fancy you having yours done as well. I will read about it with keen interest.
    And I totally agree with what you said about the blogs. I can't understand nastiness anyway, full stop. Why do people go that way? I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bathroom plans sound good. I'm trying to raise enthusiasm for having ours done. I've been dithering for about 6 years. We are having the window replaced which will be a step nearer and will probably make the decision because the tiles may well be damaged in the process.
    I'm so sad about the blog closing. I was very excited that one of them might be starting up again after a few months gap but obviously it's not to be. Another friend lost to us all because of sad people who haven't heard the saying,
    “If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything”.
    Glad you are ok. You are usually my early morning cup of tea friend so I was concerned when you hadn’t posted by about 7.30.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new bathroom sounds good - we had ours done about 4 years ago now - well worth it - we had an avocado suite and it looked ancient. We desperately need a new kitchen and each time we have ordered one we have to cancel as someone is ill - not sure I want to chance it again!
    I am sorry about the bloggers - I am lucky and never had any adverse comments - maybe Wordpress gets rid of them before I see them!
    Glad you missed the tummy upset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of those blogs were good ones, but they were not in any way better than this one! Your bathroom plans sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue: Good old Thumper! So much 'rightness' in that little bit of Disney wisdom and a favourite that I used a lot with my class. It works with five year olds; what a shame it doesn't seem to stay with all of them.
    Good luck with your bathroom plans - it's an awful upheaval while work like that is being done, I know, but worth it in the longer term.

    Viv: my parents have an avocado suite still and are unlikely to change it. It's almost museum quality!!!
    The only problem I have had is the occasional spam that slips through the net and which I delete as soon as I see it. Nothing abusive at all (fingers crossed).

    Softie: Thank you so much, that's a lovely thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I know which blogs you're referring to and I miss them greatly. There should be a way to block these sick people, who get a kick out of spoiling, just the way we can with emails. I echo Softie's words!


    ReplyDelete