Tuesday 31 July 2018

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  We've had more rain overnight which is great.  What is not so good is that it might be the last for some time to come as the forecast is for more hot weather.  Ah well, take blessings as they come and at least the allotment will be fine for today!
Lots of lovely rain yesterday too although it did turn humid from time to time so I turned the fans on.  Love my fans!

Alex and I never got to Matalan.  I picked him up, we set off heading down into town and oh, the traffic.  I wondered if there had been a problem on the A12 bypass (Chelmsford always then clogs up as traffic diverts right through town) but no.  As I finally got onto Parkway (which is an inner 'ring road' round the town centre) it was clear that there had been a very nasty accident.  The whole of one section of Parkway going the other way was cordoned off and everything was more or less gridlocked as traffic was diverted up through some very narrow roads.

I know that part of Chelmsford pretty well so was able to find a slow way out of the jam and, after an hour, we headed off towards the next place Al wanted to go to as there was absolutely no way I was heading in the direction of Matalan.  So he ended up with no socks but it wasn't a completely wasted journey.

I looked it up (as you do) when I got home and it was nasty.  A lorry had hit a pedestrian who had 'life threatening' injuries.  She had been air ambulanced out to hospital by the time we drove past but it was crawling with police.  I wondered what a pedestrian was doing there - not a good place to try and cross or even to be. 
All very sad and I hope she will recover, although I guess things will never be the same for anyone involved, ever again.

Sorry to go on - I keep thinking of it.

Anyway, apart from that it was a pleasant day.  I didn't have an awful lot else to do so started watching Pride and Prejudice on iPlayer.  It really was a good adaptation, I think.

On to today.
I've overslept.  I can't remember the last time I slept past seven!

I'm hoping to get out to visit the Willingale churches today if only for an outside view although they should be open.  It's not that far away. 
I will be going to the allotment to dig some potatoes for Beth and also to pull a few courgettes and pick some mange tout.  I'm hoping the baby corn will be further on and maybe there will be some baby runner beans.  Must remember to take my camera with me.

Then, this evening, we're having a girls' meal at the Hare, postponed from earlier in the month.  We have a lot to catch up on, some happy and some sad.  I shall choose from quite a good smaller plate selection; the full meals are way, way too much!

But now I must get my breakfast ready.  Have a lovely day, everyone.


6 comments:

  1. Oversleeping in retirement is not a crime, dear girl! It will have done you good!
    Chris (whose parents came from Essex) used to muddle Chelmsford with Colchester - both beginning with 'C' is what did it, I think. Just as here in Devon I used to muddle Tavistock (in West Devon) with Tiverton (in East Devon, so when people mentioned either of them, I immediately thought of the 'wrong' town!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every car journey is a potluck thing these days it once took me over 5 hours to do 30 miles on the M25. It was a coach crash but by the time I got there-there was nothing left it had all been cleared up. I only found out what had caused the problems when I read the papers the following day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm chuckling at your comment, Margaret. How very true. Neither is idling in front of the PC instead of getting ready as I'm doing right now but maybe my conscience is over-active or maybe it's the result of a lifetime working in a profession where there was always something 'important' that needed to be done so taking time out felt 'bad'! :-)
    It's funny how words can get muddled. I used to do that with a couple of children each school year. Fortunately, they thought it was funny! The whole class would chorus "X,not Y" and we'd all have a chuckle! Littlies are nice like that; they are very forgiving.

    Diane, five hours for 30 miles sounds horrendous. It takes a lot longer to clear a blockage than to create one.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that you are tackling your retirement properly, oversleeping and watching boxed sets of favourite programmes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really made me laugh out loud. Yup, I guess I'm being suitably idle and self indulgent!
    How about you?

    ReplyDelete