Tuesday 15 March 2016

A near disaster

I nearly had a disaster just now - a real and utter disaster.  Well, OK, a first world, foodie, personal disaster

I did what I never should have done and left Thermione kneading some dough and looking decidedly rocky so it was all my own fault and I really should have known better.  Suddenly there was a huge CRASH - so huge that it even made deaf old me jump.  I knew straight away what had happened.  Thermione had bounced her way to the edge of the working top and fallen off onto the tiled floor.

And she had.  Taking several things with her as she did so.  Three eggs (fairly old and all smashed over the floor) in an egg holder (not smashed), a pyrex bowl (smithereens), a soup bowl (amazingly intact and staring at me smugly) and, worst of all, Thermione, on her side . . . oooooohhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooo.

And, up on the wall, the plug was still in the socket and the socket itself had pulled right out of the wall, cracked across in one corner (socket, not wall).

And Thermione?  My lovely Thermione which I couldn't manage without (first world, I know)?  With my heart in my mouth I picked her up and cleaned up the mess on the kitchen floor, my brain revolving around making the first ever claim on house contents insurance and wondering if I should get another 3.1 or the new model and not really liking the idea of all the fuss and bother because I love her just the way she is.

In trepidation I plugged her in and on came the lights.  No error message.  So I switched her on and off she went as if nothing had happened.  How lucky is that, eh?  Thank goodness the plug didn't pull out of the socket because that must have broken the fall.

I thanked my lucky stars that I hadn't put into the egg holder the half dozen I had bought this afternoon.  There are advantages to being a trifle slothful!

And now I need to find an electrician!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting away with tempting the gods!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than I deserve, I know. I'm still all a-wibble about it! I think I need chips . . . :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I think there must be something in the air
    Went in the kitchen to find Mr 18...warming up a neat and potato pie in the microwave IN THE FOIL TRAY!!! Fortunately I got there before any damage was done! I'm so glad Thermione survived! I never leave Beryl unattended! I'm scared she'll leap to her doom too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! We both got away lightly, didn't we? And Mr 18 has learnt a life lesson!
    J x

    ReplyDelete