Saturday 6 April 2013

Saturday a bit later . . .

Lovely hot bath - plenty of topping up and a good soak.  Oh, how I have missed this!  Matt Hickey, you are a star!

The garden has been Georged and looks a whole lot better now.  God bless George, he is a treasure, a lovely young man.  One of these days he is going to leave home and move to somewhere else and then what will I do?   I can't bear to think of it!

Mr Hollywood's bloomer (no, NOT bloomerS) recipe is in a bowl on its first rise.  It's lovely to be using the warmth of the sun (through the window) for this.



Thermione kneads the dough beautifully although I have an inkling that Mr Hollywood would NOT approve.  Never mind, I don't care, it still makes a wonderful loaf with a lot less hassle and when one is a working girl, one has to consider hassle.  This way I get a completely delicious loaf for a small fraction of the price one would pay for a comparative loaf from a shop and also a lot less than a bog-standard so-called' 'cheap' supermarket loaf would cost.  It's a win-win situation.  I never thought anything would supersede my Panasonic breadmaker but . . .

I have a new gastronomic addiction.  You may remember me blogging about making an orange squash using Thermione and then making a sort of marmalade-y spread with the residue (also in Thermione).  Well, I have discovered that there is very little tastier than a couple of slices of toasted Hollywood bloomer with butter and this orange spread (must think of a name for it) - it is just gorgeous!    In fact, just writing about it forced me (yes it did!) to go into the kitchen and make some (I hadn't had any lunch, I hasten to add).  It's best to use older Hollywood bloomer bread - it doesn't toast all that well when fresh but what I used today is a week old and it's still delicious.  So not only is is frugal and delicious and home made, it also lasts and lasts.  What more can one ask for?

Just to cheer us up, it may have been snowing outside on Thursday but it was spring on my kitchen window ledge (apologies for the label showing).




2 comments: