Friday 12 April 2013

Friday

Today is a sad day.  A day that reminds me that life, however good it is, is finite and unpredictable.
Today I go to a funeral.  Someone just a little older than I, no age at all, someone who had years and years of life ahead of him, someone who should have been looking forward to a happy retirement with his wife.

F was such a gentleman.  I remember how kind he was when my ex husband died so suddenly, how understanding and sympathetic for the personal grief that I didn't feel I had the right to express or share because, after all, he wasn't my husband any more.  You don't forget that sort of thing, do you?  I know I haven't.

I can't even start to imagine how my friend is feeling at the moment.  Perhaps today will be some sort of closure for her, an ending and a new beginning.  Perhaps.  That's what they say about funerals, isn't it?  Maybe the presence of many of her old teaching friends will be of some comfort.  I hope so.

Today is a very sad day . . .


7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read your entry today - it is indeed a very sad day. Sending you all my thoughts and sympathy and I hope the presence of you all will be as much of a comfort as possible.
    Take great care! S. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss Joy, always very sad when good friends part. Having such good friends and families at the funeral will indeed be a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your friend finds comfort in seeing you there. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, everyone. Your lovely comments are very much appreciated.

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of this sad event. As well as the immediate mourning it must bring back unhappy memories of your own. I hope his wife has support through this difficult time. Lots of sympathy and hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete