Sunday 1 September 2024

My visit to RHS Wisley. Very photo heavy alert!

I've been so lucky with the weather this past week for both the coach trips.  It wasn't baking hot and, to start with, it felt quite cool, but I'd rather that than too hot any day.

We all got on the coach at the usual time and, yes, Pam and I sat together again, much to our delight.  She's very easy to chat to and very pleasant indeed.
The journey there, in contrast to Tuesday into London, was an absolute doddle.  No real hold ups at all until the lead off to the A3 and even then it was only the usual queue, nothing untoward.  
We were so early, we had to wait for a while before we could get in.  Thankfully, there were loos on the outside.
Wisley is considered the flagship garden of the Royal Horticultural Society and one of the UK's most visited gardens.  It's now two hundred and forty acres in size, more than one can take in during one visit, I think.
The original sixty acre estate was given to the RHS is 1903.
This beautiful Arts and Crafts house is open to the public, I believe.  Something to remember for my next visit (which might be next week - more info later).


Once in, I had a quick nosey round the shop before finding the cafe area for my coffee and to eat what I had brought for breakfast.

Pam was already there, enjoying her tea and we decided to first locate where the cream tea was and then to part company.  We wanted to see different things and, as she said, moved at different paces anyway!


 I'm not sure how clear this map is going to be but maybe you could scroll in.
I first headed off towards the Pinetum and the Heather Landscape before walking through the woods by the River Wey and Seven Acres up to the incredible Glasshouse where I stayed for quite a long time.  Then I carried on to the Viewing Mount (not much in the way of views really),  through the Adventure Playground (lovely equipment, all natural wood with carvings plus a little 'beach' with clean sand and running water - the children were having an amazing time) and the Jubilee Arboretum.  I stopped at the Hilltop with the orchards and the pumpkin and vegetable patches, took a peek inside the World Food place, then through the Wellbeing Garden, the Cottage Garden, the Mixed Borders (stunning) and the Trials Gardens where there were lots of dahlias before heading back to the shop and the cafe.

I took lots of photos and I'll just post some below without comment.  I can't guarantee but I think they will be more or less in the right order.






















Of course, being an RHS garden, there was plenty of really lovely art work scattered around.













The journey home was nowhere near as smooth as the journey there.  For a start, getting on to the M25 from the A3 was a disaster - half an hour plus to go a very short distance.  It's a daily thing too - poor, poor commuters, not to mention the people who live in the area.
Once on the M25, apart from static queues for which we never found the reason and the usual slow traffic at the Dartford crossing, it was OK and we weren't too late back.

So there you go - a snapshot of my visit to RHS Wisley.  Definitely a place to re-visit and if you ever get the chance to go, grab it.  Just take your own food with you!  


14 comments:

  1. Such lovely photos, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure, Belinda. I'm glad you liked them. xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos-thanks for sharing. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catriona. You're very welcome. xx

      Delete
  3. I’m glad you had a lovely time Joy and it seems to me you saw more or less everything so well done - you must have been motoring along. I used to live 5 mins’ drive from Wisley in the village of Effingham and joined the RHS when my son was 10 months old in 1994 thinking it would be a good place for him to crawl and then toddle around and no time to fall asleep in the car on the way home. However, the business of Effingham is education with some 3,500 children coming into the village every day for their schooling and it was due to this and the Wisley airfield development of 1700 new homes, the supersizing of the Howard of Effingham school (an excellent comprehensive for 11-18 year olds when my children attended and only five minutes walk from home) to accommodate the new families and the building of over 400 new homes in a village of only 1000 homes to pay for the building of the new school that made it a very easy decision to give up our family home where we’d lived for 26 years and move 30 miles to the peace and quiet of the South Downs six years ago. I have a very keen gardening friend from those days and once or twice a year we meet at Wisley (it’s about 45 mins from me if the A3/M25 junction is behaving!) and so I have kept up to date with all the many changes. I was at university in Essex (1980-83) and have a very soft spot for your county and I still think the little villages along the Essex/Suffolk border are some of the prettiest in England. The success and range of your coach trips has encouraged me to look at a company that runs similar trips from near me and a friend and I have just booked a trip to Highgrove for next June when the meadows and roses should be at their best so thank you for the inspiration. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah.
      A shame you felt it best to move but the South Downs are lovely and I totally get why. Beth, Alex and I spent several fantastic holidays at Streele Farm, close to Rotherfield/Crowborough. Such fond memories.
      There's quite a lot in the middle of Wisley I didn't really do, I think. The Walled Garden, for example, and several things I would like to see again like the Glasshouse.
      I'm really glad you have been inspired to try out a coach trip - Highgrove sounds great and is somewhere I'd like to go at some point.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I love Wisley, but the M25 should be avoided like the plague. Wisley is definitely worth several visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The M25 either seems to be very, very good or horrid. The Dartford crossing is usually a bit of a pain but better than it was before the bridge was built. The A3 'improvements' are a disaster though and they don't seem anywhere near finishing yet. xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos!
    I used to visit RHS Wisley, frequently, when I lived in Surrey. My children had a ‘favourite tree’ there….until it was wrecked during the great storm of 1987! I loved visiting. In Devon, we have RHS Rosemoor, which is lovely but completely different to RHS Wisley. Shame about the journey home but I’m glad that you enjoyed the visit! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sort of place you'd want to visit lots of times. Your children would have loved the play area - it is really fab.
      I've never been to Rosemoor but I've just looked at the map - it does look delightful. xx

      Delete
  6. One of my favourite places! Even though, you went to areas I've never been!! I used to love the exotic butterfly events in the main glasshouse in January/February. Sadly, I don't think they hold them anymore.
    Yes, RHS Rosemoor is lovely too, to my mind it has the best rose garden, so especially rewarding for a visit in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see anything butterfly related, sadly. That would have been nice. If I do go again soon, I'd like to concentrate on the middle area as that's what I didn't see much of. xx

      Delete
  7. Your photographs are lovely, Joy (I like how you chose to capture the beans), and the garden there looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, had to photo the beans! :-)
      The gardens are beautiful, really well cared for. xx

      Delete