Sunday 17 December 2023

Sunday, 17-12-23: Blogmas 17: longer post alert

(A bit further down there's a Strictly final spoiler - if you haven't watched and don't want to know yet, It might be better to come back after you have watched.  xx)

Morning, everyone!  It's Sunday and I'm sitting in front of the PC, warm and cosy, tap-tapping away and enjoying a lovely first coffee.  <  sips >  Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Yesterday was lovely.

I took the 8:30 bus into town with a handful of other passengers amd by the time I was off the bus there was just tine to get some cash from the bank (for the holiday) before the shops started opening.  I headed straight off to John Lewis where I trawled around the make-up/'beauty' counters, getting a feel for it all.  I had thought about Clinique but there wasn't one so I went for the Charlotte Tilbury counter because the assistants seemed to be engaging with customers very positively and also because amongst all the scarily smart youngsters, there was an older lady - I say old, probably in her forties - who looked a bit less scary to me; still smart but more approachable for me.

She was very good at her job.  I explained and she took me to one of the seats and talked me through the whole prep/foundation/contour thing as she demo-ed on me.  She was practical too, explaining stuff I really didn't need as well as what I - well, not exactly needed, I didn't 'need' any of it - what I could use.

I hope she felt she earned her commission - I thought she did.  It was all thoroughly enjoyable and a walked out with a small range of products that was well within the budget I had set myself and some freebies too - proper posh full sized freebies that make you realise how big the mark-up must be!
Now I need to practise!

I did a bit more shopping - a few bits and bobs in Boots and some new day and night cream that I put on my list after I realised how terribly old the stuff I found in my drawer actually was.
It's obviously the freebie season because they had a three for two thing on.  I didn't need anything else but they had a box that was the equivalent of a supermarket food bank box so I happily popped it in - I can't remember what I chose now but it was good to be able to gift it on.

Finally, as town was getting horrendously busy/crowded/noisy, I headed back to the bus through the market where I bought some yarn.  I know, don't shoot me - I wanted a small project to take with me and decided to make a little jumper for Chris' one year old grandson but I have been so successful; in using up my DK yarn, I didn't have enough so . . .
I'll show you when it's finished.
Given how crowded town was, I was very surprised at how empty the bus was.  I fully expected to be standing for part of the way home but no, there was plenty of room.  I'm so glad I'm using the bus service again.

In the afternoon, I first made a batch of Delia's not-sausage rolls for the freezer (I made the pastry yesterday) before I started sorting stuff out and it took all afternoon because I kept getting side-tracked into sorting out other stuff.  You know how it goes.  I felt it was a good afternoon's work though. 

And then it was the Strictly Final.  And what a final it was.  Some fantastic dancing and loads of tears;  some of it was so moving.  I'm glad Ellie won but I would have been happy for any of them to lift that glitterball and I wished they could all have won.  They were, as Strictly's strictest judge would say, a-ma-zing.

Everything is coming up roses with Body Shop today.  Yes, there's two a day from now on because it stops on the 20th.  I won't want to do it on the 21st and after that . . . I can't.

Today's was a rose scented 'fresh plumping mask' whatever that might be when it's at home.  The instructions are tiny so I need to either find my magnifying glass or look it up online.

The one for the 21st is a 'rose scented shower scrub, a soft and smoothing exfoliation'.  I can't say I have ever troubled with either face masks or body scrubs so it will be a new experience, maybe on Wednesday.

I feel very pampered right now.

Today feels kind of busy.  I have ironing to finish off, some tidying up, some sorting out, some kitchen stuff and Beth and Alex are round this afternoon for a gift exchange and a buffet.  No Dave and Anna, of course, sadly, but I have that to look forward to in January.

Better get going, hadn't I?  Have a great day.  xx


Today's Blogmas music is two of my favourite John Rutter carols.  His music generally is very accessible and likeable and it is so singable but there seems to be something about Christmas that really inspires him.  I had loads to choose from but have two particular favourites, Star Carol . . .


. . . and Nativity Carol.



As always, I'm adding all the Blogmas music into a playlist which I will share with you closer to Christmas.  I've added a few more Rutter carols that aren't in here to the mix .

14 comments:

  1. You are soooo organised and everything worked out! More and more the writing on labels is too small or the wrong colour and I need to take a photo so I can zoom it up to read and that is despite supposedly having 20/20 vision with my glasses on.
    Enjoy your mini family gathering! Annabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous really and one reason why I treated myself to a cheap magnifying glass when I saw it a while ago. I'm getting old! xx

      Delete
  2. Good morning Joy. That calendar sounds as though it is well worth the money. I've loved the sound of most of the things you've shown. I'm so glad Ellie won but the other dancers were fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with these things you pay for the 'experience' as well as what's behind those doors. I think it was worth it, definitely, not necessarily just the products but it has been fun. xx

      Delete
  3. I loved the strictly final too, great TV. Your shopping trip sounds fun, it's good to have a make up session with an expert now and again and the yarn purchase - essential, like you say a small project to take away with you , just the job x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it worked for me, getting the yarn.
      I did enjoy the 'makeover' and she was nice to chat to as well. I can't say I'll be doing it again for a while because I have everything I need and some but, maybe, one day . . .
      xx

      Delete
  4. i enjoyed the Strictly final and watched it live for once although Cher was dire and not even managing to mime in time. Love the sound of the rose products. Enjoy your time with Beth and Alex today and then it won’t be long until your grand adventure! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's probably so 'big' in the USA, she gats away with it. She wasn't great, was she?
      The rest was brilliant though.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Love Cher…sorry the show wasn’t up to par…when I see her on tv she is fantastic…I would love to be that talented at any age let alone hers…more clothes needed sometimes…lol Brenda

      Delete
    3. She is certainly quite a character and had done a lot with her life. She wouldn't be where she is without a lot of talent but I guess performers can't always be on top form. xx

      Delete
  5. Your days get busier and busier, and your shopping trip sounded lovely. Enjoy your get-together. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it and nearly ready. Yes, things do feel a bit busy at the moment but I'll soon be able to rest and relax.
      xx

      Delete
  6. The bus trip and shopping sounds lovely. I have always wondered what it would be like to sit and get shown how to apply makeup correctly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Don't your bigger shops offer to do that? I guess there's the pressure to then buy a few products; I went knowing I would buy something and with a budget in mind.
      xx

      Delete