Thursday 28 December 2023

Cruise day 7

Morning (just).  It is 12:19 here, 11:19 for you in the UK.  We docked at Alta this morning - the noise disturbed me not one fraction and I had the best night's sleep in a long while, waking up at 8:30.  It was a mad rush to be ready for breakfast at nine.

Here's a bit of info about Alta.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta,_Norway

After breakfast I went to a cookery demo of Norwegian haddock and cod fish cakes with tartare sauce and julienne stir fry veg.  I'm going to try it at home, it was delicious.

According to the newsletter it is another sundown all day and it is around  -14C.  However, there's no wind so it doesn't feel that cold, especially with the Arctic glad rags on.  I went for a walk around the deck (4 laps = one mile, I gather) and it was lovely.  I took some photos, of course.

A few panoramic shots of Alta Bay/harbour.




I had to watch my footing a bit but the outer deck was mostly clear.  The ice was absolutely solid - no softie slush on the Balmoral!



A couple of brave souls were using the pool and the jacuzzi.  I love swimming but I don't think I have that much courage.
Would you?



It's now exactly 12:30 and my back pack is ready for this afternoon's adventure, husky sledding.  I'm as warm as toast with all my layers on but outside is a different kettle of fish and today will be a good test of how effective my cold weather clothing is.

More later including, hopefully, some husky photos.

21:19
This afternoon we went husky sledding.  I think this is where we went.

What can I say?  It was one of the best things I have ever experienced.  The coach ride through Alta and up into the mountains while a lovely guide, Leonora, told us about Alta and the surrounding area.  Then we arrived, had a talk in a sami dwelling (I think) before pairing up for our sled ride.
Not everyone did it and comfortable it was NOT.  Never have I been more grateful to Lindsey for helping me to work so much on my core and upper leg strength over these last few years.  Twenty minutes of bumping along snowy paths, pulled by a team of absolutely gorgeous husky dogs, so willing and so friendly, in moonlight.  It was just . . . stunning.  Words can't explain, sorry.

A view from the coach - that's where the sun would be, were it to actually rise.  Leonora explained that November, December and January have no sunrise (the news  letter of a few days ago was wrong) and May-ish, June and July have no sunset.  See that snow.  Real, proper snow, the kind that is powdery and not dangerously slippery.

Where we had the talk (that is Diane on the right).  The lady told us of the husky racing and about the dogs they so obviously love to bits.



A husky team - but not the team that pulled me and another One Traveller lady though.
It was simply an amazing experience   A bit cold, especially around the toes, but, given it was around -14C, the cold weather gear did a very good job.  The moonlit frozen scenery was heartachingly beautiful.

I'd do it again tomorrow without any hesitation.

Once home, we had time to warm up before drinks and dinner.   No photos of food today, sorry.  I was charging the camera again.  And we were all pretty tired after the exercise and the fresh air.  More than one pair of eyelids closed during dinner and I retired to my cabin at around nine.  I'm going to sleep well!

Tomorrow (today when you read this), we depart from Alta in the evening, heading to Tromso.  Before then is an excursion to Sorrisniva, a stunning (says the bumph) Arctic wilderness with the spectacular Igloo Hotel, built each year by local ice sculptors and artists since 1999.  There will also be an opportunity to try ice sculpting (and, probably, provide the ice for the evening drinks!!!).
The newsletter says it will be cloudy with a gentle breeze and a temperature of -12C - so warmer than today - not that anyone will notice, I am sure.

And we're pretty much half way through this adventure. 

Thanks for your comments.  I will go back and reply when I can but right now I just can't.  






9 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, so glad you took up the opportunity to go on that husky ride. I think I would go in the jacuzzi, but swimming, no, probably not 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, husky sledding, that's a once in a lifetime experience, how wonderful! I'm with Alison above, I'd definitely go in the jacuzzi - we went on several Center Parcs holidays in the winters and always went in the Aqua Sana. I remember one year it was actually snowing (quite lightly, it wasn't a blizzard) and it was absolutely lovely being in the jacuzzi and even the pool in the snow - with the water being so beautifully warm. You really are having a fantastic time and I'm loving your enjoyment and following the experience with you, thank you Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are seizing every opportunity for adventures on your cruise-so many people must use the ship as a hotel and don’t venture out on the excursions. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious experience. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear you were able to do the dog sledding. What a fun excursion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading all you posts. Huge apologies that I'm not able to comment but I have a good signal tonight and can leave a comment so you know I'm enjoying hearing about all your lovely activities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! Glad you survived the rather frigid temperatures and it's all part of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds about as cold as it gets here sometimes. It really is bitter and hard to keep the fingers warm while taking photos! I am so glad you enjoyed your husky ride. They are such beautiful dogs. They love the snow and cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fabulous! I'm feeling rather envious. Xx

    ReplyDelete