Saturday 30 December 2023

Cruise day 9

 Good morning!  I have woken early after a great night's sleep and am glad I have because it's early breakfast before we start off on our morning exploring Tromso.  As I type, the ship is sailing gently towards Tromso where she is docking for the day and should arrive very soon.  I'm dressed and ready for my mile around the deck but I will wait until about 7:30 (it's just turned seven as I typed that last sentence).

Thank you again for all your comments.  When I get home and can read them fully, I will do a sort of Q&A post to respond.  In the meanwhile, be assured I am reading and enjoying them, thank you.

8:10
We've just docked and it was a smooth as silk.  How they can manoeuvre such a large object so accurately and with so little fuss and bother is amazing.  I'm just back in the cabin and through my window are the Clarion hotel, A Radisson Blu hotel and . . . a Troll Museum.  Aaaawww - but I don't know if we will have time to visit it.
There's also four coaches arriving with more to come, ready to take us lucky people out for whatever we are booked for today.  Spoilt to death, that's what we are.

17:30 and beyond
It was a wonderful morning.  After an early breakfast, we set off in a coach through Tromso to the Polaria Arctic Experience Centre.  Here's a link to information and then a few photos.

https://polaria.no/en/




These are rescue creatures that cannot be released into the wild so they are cared for at the centre.  We also saw a film about the Arctic and an exhibition of its importance.

After that, we crossed the Tromso bridge (or did we do that first - I forget) and had a cable car ride to enjoy some absolutely amazing views across Tromso to the mountains the other side.




It was awesome - and bitterly cold so high up - and we were so lucky with the ;light.  Yes, it is officially darkness but you know how light it can get when the sun is just below the horizon.  Looking at those photos, you would never think that it was officially dark.

Then we stopped off at the modern Arctic Cathedral.  https://www.ishavskatedralen.no/en/the-arctic-cathedral/



When I get onto the One Traveller Facebook page, I can show some photos of all of us,  We 'posed' beside that Christmas tree.

Finally, a few people were dropped off in town ands the rest of us went back to the ship for a late lunch and an afternoon of energetic fun and frolics!!! 
I lie, of course - I fell asleep over my Kindle.

My camera was charging so no photos of food again but it was most delicious - dinner, I mean, not the camera!

Tomorrow is a cruise day as we head towards Alesund - we're travelling south again now and out of the Arctic circle.  And, guess what, as we are going south, we have a sunrise and sunset again - just before eleven and just after half past one (the newsletter wasn't wrong before, I was just being thick)

Have a lovely day.  xx



7 comments:

  1. Sooooo happy that you are having a great time Joy, lots of love from MO (Good Easter) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bucketfuls of fresh, clean air - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy…thanks for keeping us updated. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh it looks cold but wonderfully fresh and invigorating while you are out and about. It's no wonder you fell asleep over your Kindle when you got back to the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like another memorable day x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scenery looks cold and bleak, and yet so starkly beautiful!
    That's the thing about cruising, one does get spoiled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - looks like a great day! That scenery looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete