Monday 25 September 2023

Monday, 25-09-23

Morning, everyone welcome to a new week.  Yesterday wasn't quite the wonderfully sunny day BBC predicted but at least it didn't rain.  Today, it says 'sunny and a gentle breeze' but we will see.

I did pretty much nothing yesterday (apart from the everyday essentials).  I didn't even get dressed which felt very slapdash but there was no need to and I couldn't be bothered.  I pottered around, dozed a bit, watched telly, set the TV to record things like House of Games (starting again today) and checked that it was set to record 'It Takes Two', got on with my knitting, did the Windsor blog and posted it and generally just idled the day away.  After a great night's sleep, I feel much more energetic today - which is just as well!

One other thing I did - I booked a seat on another coach trip.  This is what the bumph says:

Following the successful excursion to see some of Rosemary Rutherford's stained-glass
windows in Essex churches on May 5, we have arranged another trip to see some more of
her windows in Suffolk after visiting Ely and its amazing cathedral. This trip takes place on
Thursday October 19 when we leave Broomfield at 8.30 and make our way to the beautiful
city of Ely.
Ely Cathedral is a must if you have never been inside – and inside you will find The
Stained Glass Museum. After lunch our coach will take us to St Mary’s Church Hinderclay:
At St Mary’s Church, Hinderclay there are four richly coloured modern style windows that
were designed by Rosemary Rutherford. With the sun shining through them the church is
filled with rainbow light to stunning effect.
Finally, we leave Hinderclay and set off for St Mary’s Church, Walsham le Willows where
Rosemary lived with her brother who was incumbent here before moving to Hinderclay,
there is the large memorial window dedicated to Rosemary. She had designed the window
and cut the glass and her brother with the help of Roly Haddon, made and installed it. It
features the pink clad central figure who is most likely St Dorothy, the patron saint of
gardeners, surrounded by a multitude of different flowers. It is a fitting memorial to the
artist who was said by her brother to be never happier than when she was painting
flowers.

I've never been to Ely but I know Mum and Dad spent some short breaks there and enjoyed it very much.  I'll do my research, of course, and find out what else there is to see/do and, maybe, you never know, I might feel it is worth of a longer break there too.  We will see.
And Rutherford's stained glass art looks absolutely amazing.
Anyway, it is booked and paid for so I have that to look forward to.

The only thing actually in the diary today is small group circuits at Shimmy Studio but there's plenty of other stuff to do so I won't be having another nothing day, no way!  It's going to be quite busy, I think.  
Have a lovely day, everyone.  May the sun shine on us all.  xx

16 comments:

  1. Hinderclay and Walsham Le Willows are two of the Suffolk churches I've visited as they are in the 100 treasures in 100 churches book because of the stained glass in Hinderclay and a little wooden medallion in Walsham.
    Sounds like a lovely day out as Ely Cathedral is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, thanks, Sue. I suspect I will want to go back to explore further as, on first glance, there is so much to see and do. Cromwell's house sounds interesting. xx

      Delete
  2. There'll be no stopping you now ;-) x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's sunny with a gentle breeze' here today, what a difference to yesterday. Another trip to look forward to sounds just perfect, and isn't it nice when it's someone else is doing all the driving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to just sit and get driven. And you get a good view from a coach, don't you? xx

      Delete
  4. Ely cathedral is lovely and while I visited, many years ago, the organist was practising and he played the introductory music to Songs of Praise, it was amazing. Nice day here too in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how lovely. The organ is not my favourite instrument but in the right context, it can sound awesome. xx

      Delete
  5. Monday came around far too quickly.
    These trips are a lovely way of visiting different places without the added stress of driving. I I hope you'll get another bright and sunny day. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, fingers crossed but I have a good fold up mac, should it be needed. :-) It's so nice to have things to look forward to. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh how neat that you are going to see more of Rosemary Rutherford's stained-glass
    windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it very much indeed. xx

      Delete
  7. The trip sounds lovely and I am very sure with your research you will find even more interesting things to see.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It does help to have a bit of prior knowledge, I find, so it's worth the little bit of time it takes. xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely lazy day. Mum and I took a coach trip to Ely cathedral a few years ago. It is absolutely beautiful. Well worth a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I know Mum and Dad loved the place and had a couple of breaks there when they were still well enough to holiday. It will be nice to discover it for myself. xx

      Delete