Monday 4 September 2023

Monday, 04-09-23

Good morning, everyone.  It is a slightly misty, Autumnal start to the day, coolish and fresh, giving promise of warm sunshine when the sun breaks through.  Just like yesterday, in fact.

It was very pleasant, over at Beth's in the centre of town, strolling around the local streets to remove the remaining 'Peter is Lost' posters from the lamp posts after which we sat outside in the communal area at the back of her flat for coffee and a chat before some snuggles with the cats.  Perfect.

I'm getting on with my hexagon crochet lap throw.  It's just a mish-mash of colours and that's fine.  It will be bright and cheerful on those chilly, dull, winter evenings when you just need a bit more cover for perfect comfort!


Now it is Monday, the day 'my' school restarts for the new school year.  Today and tomorrow are Non-Pupil Days and likely to be pretty busy and, maybe, a bit 'careful' with a new headteacher to start to know and get a feel for.
I with them all the very best of luck for a fantastic year but I am heartfelt glad that I am no longer involved, just slightly sad that I no longer have any kind of personal connection to the head as I have so often had in the past, either through friendship, acquaintance through school music or because we were already colleagues.
It just feels slightly 'odd' and yet another step away from my previous life.  I don't want to move too far away but a bit at a time is fine.  It makes me thankful that I had the kind of work that I still like to maintain links with because it was so lovely (apart from that perishing paperwork!)

Plans have changed for today.  Diane was coming over for lunch but she had a phone call from her painter to say he was starting her hall today.  Obviously, you can't say 'not today, thank you' after waiting for quite a while for him to be able to start so I'm going over to hers for coffee and the chat we are both looking forward to.  

There's no exercise classes this week which gives me more time for other things.  When I get home from Diane's, I might go out for a walk along the country lanes close by.  I could check on the damsons although I won't be picking any - I have plenty left from last year still.

Whatever else I do, it's going to be a nice day, I think, and I hope yours is too.  All the best and be happy!  xx

16 comments:

  1. Your lap throw looks gorgeous, I would love to see it in 'real life' so to speak! Tomorrow maybe ......
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll bring it. It's not finished yet, I'm not sure how big I will make it so it might end up quite big! xx

      Delete
  2. Your throw is really gorgeous and will be so cosy when finished. I didn’t maintain any contact with my colleagues when I retired but I suppose that may be common for Headteachers. Sorry if it seems as if I don’t comment some days-I do, and then a message tells me it can’t be published! Happy week-we’re forecast a mini heatwave! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cosy - this granny hexagon is thicker that the usual square and more interesting to make too.
      It might be a head teacher thing, I guess it depends on a lot of things. Thankfully, I wasn't a school head, just a KS1 coordinator/SENCo.
      Blogger can be very awkward sometimes - lots of people seem to get commenting problems from time to time. Very odd.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It will be beautiful and snuggly however big you make it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - It will certainly get used, one way or another. xx

      Delete
  4. Your throw is coming along nicely. Our two youngest grandaughters start school this week. Orlagh today and Fearne tomorrow in different areas of the country. Seems a very long time since our eldest granddaughter started at one of our local schools, she is now 26.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to them both - I hope the day goes really well for them.
      Alex is 25 and I look back sometimes and wonder where the time has gone.
      xx

      Delete
  5. The first day of the autumn term is always full of optimism and it's a lovely day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply beautiful - such a joyous day really. xx

      Delete
  6. The blanket is looking lovely, it's the mass of white that makes all the other colours really pop and seem even fresher. I love it. xx

    Snuggles with cats are just lovely aren't they. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does rather, doesn't it? Thanks, Sue.
      Yes, they are - very satisfying and very cuddlesome. xx

      Delete
  7. No matter what I did I couldn't get my comment to publish on here yesterday - internet issues I think...... anyway, today's another day........I LOVE your new throw!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could have been a weak signal, yes, Sometimes, my comments get timed out which is frustrating, to say the least.
      Thanmk you. xx

      Delete
  8. I love the throw too, I actually think the 'mish mash' of colours make it look more cozy and personal than it would if you'd planned out a rigid pattern of specific colours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. There is an underlying colour scheme but it's really not obvious because I have different shades of blue, green, pink, yellow and purple. The rest is random and I like it too - I think it works.
      xx

      Delete