Sunday 12 July 2020

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.  This morning I have woken up happy after a Saturday that was so good and a brilliant night's sleep.

It's chilly outside and there's a bit of a mist.  The sun is shining, the mist will burn away and it's going to be such a beautiful day.
(I live in hope - feeling really positive this morning)

I shall be sitting out here later on, enjoying the green-ness of my little domain!

(Eileen, I grossly over estimated the height of the grass - it's closer to a metre tall; being in the raised bed makes it look taller than it really is.)


I mentioned the little chilli plant I brought back from Dad's.  Here it is.  You see what I mean although, in fact, it's looking much healthier now than at the start of the week.  It's greened up and thrown out a few leaves at the tip so I reckon it will be fine although it would be nice if it bushed out a bit more.  I have absolutely no idea what 'heat' the fruit will be so the first taste will be an adventure!


Yesterday morning I set off for Sainsbury's with the aim of getting there by eight.  A few months ago, that would probably have been a bit rash, risking queues and hold-ups to get in but things have normalised for now and there were very few there comparatively speaking.  Lots of masks!

I had two main aims and a few less significant ones.  The biggies were to get some Worcestershire sauce and to 'look at jeans' as it said on my shopping list.

So I looked and I saw and I selected and into the trolley went two pairs of jeans and some knee length denim shorts - ALL SIZE TEN!!
(not shouting)
If you've always been a slender type, you may not understand but a large part of my adult life has been spent yo-yo-ing between sizes twenty and twenty eight (really) so ten feels totally unreal, out of this world, an impossible dream.
And, yes, they fit.

Somehow, a top, some trainer socks and some canvas shoes also jumped in to keep the jeans company.  How unfortunate!

I didn't find any Worcestershire sauce (is this the latest hard-to-get thing?) but I did get some Hendersons sauce which is better really as it's the vegetarian equivalent so I can use it without worrying about Beth having any.

Then I went on to B&Q and got, as Diane suggested, some French dwarf bean seeds, having discussed it with Beth (she was having a wakeful early morning too) and getting a delighted reaction from her.

I managed four loads of washing after I got home, three dried on the line, one in the dryer and all ironed and put away.  My get up and go really has returned!

Today I will be meeting Beth down the allotment this afternoon and we will be prepping the ground where the potatoes were and getting those beans planted.  It's pretty much the latest we could do it so fingers will be crossed for a frost free autumn, but I'm glad we are using the space and not just letting it lie.

At home, I think I will be taking off the bottom leaves of the tomatoes which is a task in itself, given how many plants there are!  Also, weeding at the front seems to be the new elephant in the room so I must settle to that.  It won't take long, it just needs doing!

It's going to be a super day - for us all, I hope.  Stay safe and be happy.  xx
















24 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, yes I too slept well! Picking up the size tens feels so surreal doesn't it - though I confess to you I've lapsed and am currently squeezing into the 14s - something I'm addressing right now but in my head I really am back at the plus size section! Well done you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally surreal, yes. I can't really get my head round it.
      Maintaining will be the next big challenge, won't it? You'll get back there, I am absolutely sure. It's been a difficult time for everyone.
      xx

      Delete
  2. WELL DONE!! Shout away, you deserve that NSV so much.

    Coincidentally, I also needed Worcestershire sauce last week and Morrisons only had the Henderson's - how strange. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Maybe Lea and Perrins has a problem. I must Google.
      Ah-ha. There is a reason. See this (copy and paste)
      https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/lea-and-perrins-worcestershire-sauce-supermarkets-running-out-a4484126.html

      And thank you, that's such a lovely thing to say!
      xx

      Delete
    2. Oh I see, well that explains it!

      Delete
    3. It does, doesn't it. At least we know and, now we have some, a bottle lasts for simply ages so that's OK (for us, I mean).
      xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Joy - I also needed worcestershire sauce recently and went into several supermarkets with no luck but managed to get it in asda in the end and they do their own brand as well. There must have been a run on it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bottling problems, I gather. The odd thing is, it's not the sort of thing that people want very often but I guess demand builds up when it is hard to get.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Well done on the size TEN! :-) I finally put new batteries in my scales and discovered I've gained 5kg/11lbs in lockdown :-( Def lack of activity from not working and no gym!

    Sainsburys also do their own version of Worcester sauce. I have a bottle but not tried it yet as I've been using my Lea and Perrins sparingly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know, I'm sure you will be on top of it quickly.

      They do, but there wasn't any, just the Hendersons, but that's OK because that would have been my next choice anyway. I've heard good things about it.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Very well done on your size 10. You inspire me to get back on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a lovely thing to say, thank you. xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, size 10! That's fantastic and I'm over the moon for you. You are an inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am, Eileen, thank you so much. I hasten to add that it doesn't mean that size for everything but even so . . .
      xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Joy, I was going to pop out of the woodwork and mention Hendos as an alternative. I'm veggie so it's the one I use and it's really very good. Many congratulations on the size 10, I'm not likely to be near there any when soon, but I do use your success as an inspiration.

      Delete
    3. I'd heard it is good and you have confirmed it, thank you very much. xx

      Delete
  7. Shout all you like, Joy. You deserve to after all your efforts. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Jules. It was definitely a moment to remember but mustn't stand still, the journey isn't over yet. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    Love your garden...so peaceful looking.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherrie. Thank you - I do love my little garden.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Well done on your size 10!
    I chuckled while reading how socks and shoes jumped into the trolley to keep jeans company. They tend to do that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great that your get up and go has returned. I think I have a touch of heat exhaustion. That little chili is chugging along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound great - do take care and look after yourself. Hopefully, you will feel better again soon.
      I'm giving the chilli some TLC so fingers crossed.
      xx

      Delete